Why S key?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 11:57

...although a fan tool could come in handy during summer...
(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Hirazi, Hirazi... where is the other moderator? so I can report your bad joke :))
I mapped 1,2,3,4 to component /object
I did exactly the some.
I cycle through manipulators with CTRL+TAB, so that eliminates E and R keys.
how did you do this cycle? I have all in W (move) E (scale) and R (rotate). If you make in cycle (if understood correctly what you mean) you lose the XSI sticky keys advantage, no?
filters and F1-F4 to selection modes (raycast,lasso,rectangle...)
I have this in shift+2, shift+3 ecc. but you solution seems better, will do a try.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why S key?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 May 2011, 12:08

@Nizar - Your objection to my bad joke is noted & strangely enough I fully agree... :ymblushing:
(but - like I said - although typos shouldn't be made fun of, this one I just couldn't resist)

@Memag - :ymblushing:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 12:17

Nizar wrote:
I cycle through manipulators with CTRL+TAB, so that eliminates E and R keys.
how did you do this cycle? I have all in W (move) E (scale) and R (rotate). If you make in cycle (if understood correctly what you mean) you lose the XSI sticky keys advantage, no?
Well, I still have W,E,R mapped to their respective manipulators so I still have sticky option.
But since CTRL+TAB is cycling through them as fast as I can press it,it's good for me.
Plus I don't have to hold the key and stress my poor distorted fingers.
And when you use manipulate tool you cycle through those manipulators as well.

I think default action for cycling was TAB, but I mapped tweak on TAB.

The command is called "show previous manipulator". It's in "XSI" group of keyboard mapping wizard.

Actually there is a Fan option in the Add edge tool and it's mapped to middle mouse button (M),
it appears, when you hover over the edge/point, in the bottom mouse buttons bar.
I thought it doesn't work with ALT manipulation for some reason, my bad.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 13:33

Well, I still have W,E,R mapped to their respective manipulators so I still have sticky option.
But since CTRL+TAB is cycling through them as fast as I can press it,it's good for me.
Plus I don't have to hold the key and stress my poor distorted fingers.
:) Agree, look nice solution Memag, thanks for share.
Sticky was one my favourite Silo feature, I like it, and I like this is a XSI characteristics.
Actually there is a Fan option in the Add edge tool and it's mapped to middle mouse button (M),
it appears, when you hover over the edge/point, in the bottom mouse buttons bar.
I thought it doesn't work with ALT manipulation for some reason, my bad.
Thanks again, I don't know this feature, look useful when want build quad with add edge tool. Strange don't work, trying to some test today.

I liberate myself by the Z key damnation, it was not sufficient translate the command hover the key, before needed Press "Clear" in description box. the other keymapping don't need this.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 13:52

@Nizar - Your objection to my bad joke is noted & strangely enough I fully agree... :ymblushing:
(but - like I said - although typos shouldn't be made fun of, this one I just couldn't resist)
:D

Another point strange is the Move component tool: I cage the manipulator in from c,v,x to w,e,r but when I'm in move component tool the different setting of this tool remain in x (rotate) v (grape) c (scale). is it possible cage it?

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 14:04

When using ALT navigation you loose "triangulate" operation in the "add edge tool", as it is enabled by pressing ALT while defining the second point of the edge.
Fan is still there on the middle mouse button, though. I mixed those two operations.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 14:23

is it the only feature you lost with alt key navigation?

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 14:39

No, I gather that many things are moved to ALT+CTRL where ALT was used,
for example, context menu, if I remember correctly.
Also, move pivot point is moved to D key.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why S key?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 May 2011, 11:42

Wouldn't it be a good idea to exchange some custom keymaps?
(Put them in a zip-file, place a short accompanying, explanatory text-file in the same archive)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 05 May 2011, 12:16

Nice idea. The only limits is, imho, keymapping is personal, become from a background everyone has and his needs, so solution good for me is not so good for you.
If you want doing something like a Keymapping repository I will be glad to contribute.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why S key?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 May 2011, 12:22

You're right, the (not very well thought-out) idea was not necessarily to provide others with working keymaps they could easily implement and then forget about it, but to give others an easy glimpse how someone else does things & having the ability to test it, without having to set it up themselves from scratch...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 05 May 2011, 12:39

Okay, here's mine.

I described in earlier posts what I did with the selection and (ALT) navigation.
I put duplicate on D, move pivot to CTRL+D.TAB is tweak,rendering tools are at F9-12, modeling operators are on the Z-N (extrude,cut,crease,weld,bevel,create polygon),
M is manipulate,S is subdivide/connect ,ALT+S polymsh subdivide with center,SHIFT+S split edge tool ,{} grow/shrink selection, Numeric keypad mimics transform tab in the UI,
CTRL+Q toggle selectability, I isolate, P paint, CTRL+W show weight maps,ALT+W show weight points, CTRL+` (tilda) cycle selection mode...

Others are pretty much unchanged.For more detail look at the keyboard mapping wizard.
It seems chaotic but in my mind it is a perfect layout.

And here is my layout (My ICE), as well.
I have put all of the editors,trees and managers in one combo panel at the bottom part of view manager.
Command for poping it out is `. It's called Guztray for some reason unknown to you, so find it in the keyboard mapping wizard.
Splitter is movable and you can give it container button if you like.
Fell free to customize it to your desire.
Just edit the file in text editor.

Unfortunately you'll have to change the Enhance:XSI panel from the render3 tab, if you still didn't purchase it.You can replace it with material presets or something.

Image

Any questions are welcome.
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Memag on 05 May 2011, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Why S key?

Post by origin » 05 May 2011, 14:46

Although Im working with max for a decade almost, I prefer 'S' key for nav. Since you're navigating almost all the time, Alt is one more health problem later (thumb!) B-)

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Why S key?

Post by luceric » 05 May 2011, 21:25

In Softimage|3D, the camera manipulations keys were Z, O and P.
In the late 90s, people wanted to create a new hotkey that combines O and P.
"S" wasn't used and was in the most valuable position on the keyboard: next to the most used keys X,C,V, spacebar, and A and F for framing the view. This means you can leave your hand on the left part of keyboard while the other is busy with the mouse.

The ALT key was never in the picture and has never been used in Softimage|3D for anything. According to Common User Access Guidelines, the ALT key is supposed to be reserved for getting drop-down menus and other operating system functions. It's a freak of history that Maya and some other SGI applications happened to use this key and popularized it later. Due to legacy many apps coming from SGI are also saddled with the legacy need for three buttons mice.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 06 May 2011, 13:02

Luceric is the Autodesk Human face :D
he ALT key was never in the picture and has never been used in Softimage|3D for anything. According to Common User Access Guidelines, the ALT key is supposed to be reserved for getting drop-down menus and other operating system functions. It's a freak of history that Maya and some other SGI applications happened to use this key and popularized it later. Due to legacy many apps coming from SGI are also saddled with the legacy need for three buttons mice.
Now understood, thanks

Thanks Memag, nice configuration, I will try it tomorrow.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Why S key?

Post by Chris_TC » 10 May 2011, 11:02

I don't find it difficult to switch from S navigation to ALT navigation in other applications, but I much prefer S because it allows me to put my hand naturally on the left side of the keyboard, with the pinky on Ctrl, the middle finger on S and the thumb on spacebar.
For ALT navigation I need to pull my thumb awkwardly towards the left, away from the natural position on the spacebar.
Nizar wrote:I have some doubts about: the ALT+MMB loop selection can break modelling workflow (you must deactivate your selection manipulator (move, scale or rotate), then select your loop and after this reactivate your manipulator. Nothing so terrible, but a nit slow IMO.
I practically never use the manipulators in sticky mode. You should hold down the key instead of tapping it.

Example:
  • Tap I to enter sticky raycast edge selection
    Left-click-drag to select some edges
    Hold down V to move those edges
    Release V, you are now back in raycast edge selection
    Alt-middle-click on an an edge to select the loop
    Hold down C to rotate those edges
    Release C, you are now back in raycast edge selection