Mental ray 3.9 features list

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Nizar » 29 Mar 2011, 09:19

while some of the features (for example "iray") are only implemented in one package (in this case: 3ds Max) and not in the others.
Why?

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Maximus » 29 Mar 2011, 11:06

Nizar wrote:
while some of the features (for example "iray") are only implemented in one package (in this case: 3ds Max) and not in the others.
Why?
Dont know exactly, but last time this discussion came up i remember the reason is they expose the feature more requested from beta tester and for the userbase and studios who use Softimage, also they implement things that help people using Softimage in their particular field and jobs.

so my guess is there are few people who asked for iRay or for some other particular feature since most of them dont do archviz or product shots, or they dont use Mental ray since they switched to 3delight or arnold or whatever, reasons are countless.

Its kinda logic tho, why implement and spend time to expose a feature that just 1/10 of the userbase will use or asked when you can use the same time to implement something that 9/10 asked.
For the same logic, i suppose those things will never see the light in softimage untill there is a heavy request by userbase/professionals/studios wich means almost never, everytime i speak about iRay or other MR features, everyone in forum say iRay is useless, and MR sucks, so either they dont use MR anymore (lack of request for features) either they dont use the stuff I ask :)

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Nizar » 29 Mar 2011, 14:43

ok, I see the point, but, as SI userbase, 3dsm user base don't use so much MR (many, as you know, use vray), this is what I read in forums. If AD will listen userbase requests when implement MR in his products, so no one of the three applications will have MR :)
I think, the requests listen by AD come from big studio, and not from forum userbase

Ahmidou
Posts: 106
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 13:00

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Ahmidou » 29 Mar 2011, 18:01

Nizar wrote:
while some of the features (for example "iray") are only implemented in one package (in this case: 3ds Max) and not in the others.
Why?
Also as Mentalray in Softimage is integrated at the core level, it need more work to integrate features than in the other softwares

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Nizar » 29 Mar 2011, 18:21

Also as Mentalray in Softimage is integrated at the core level, it need more work to integrate features than in the other softwares
Yes, I know that, but so mental ray integration is cons and not a pro (the exact opposite of what I thought). I don't know how is in other package, sincerely, apart some bugs, I like rendering in SI (I'm a noob)

Ahmidou
Posts: 106
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 13:00

Re: Mental ray 3.9 features list

Post by Ahmidou » 29 Mar 2011, 20:15

Nizar wrote:
Also as Mentalray in Softimage is integrated at the core level, it need more work to integrate features than in the other softwares
Yes, I know that, but so mental ray integration is cons and not a pro (the exact opposite of what I thought). I don't know how is in other package, sincerely, apart some bugs, I like rendering in SI (I'm a noob)
Assuming you're rendering in interactive mode, you don't have the scene twice in memory like in maya or max, this is a big pro, specially when you deal with big scenes, fur, etc....