GDC 2011 placeholder thread
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
...although I shudder to think of the bugs still present in a "beta of women" 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
The thing I still don't get, is why "the rules" concerning the showing of new (=future) features can be so easily be circumvented by the Max XBR team, while some other (unnamed???) Autodesk software always cites those same "rules" as its reason to keep tight-lipped about features in (near-)future releases?
To illustrate: this blog post doesn't even pretend not to show "Max 2012 pre-release" video captures...
And sorry, this is truly something I don't understand, not some pointless nagging. ("oh, yes, it is" - "oh, no, it isn't) ;)
To illustrate: this blog post doesn't even pretend not to show "Max 2012 pre-release" video captures...
And sorry, this is truly something I don't understand, not some pointless nagging. ("oh, yes, it is" - "oh, no, it isn't) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
Totally agree with you Hirazi. Why Autodesk continue in this different treatment?
As 3dsm, Maya have a sneak preview: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/may ... gy_preview
As 3dsm, Maya have a sneak preview: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/may ... gy_preview
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
The only difference between the two being, that the Maya video is presented as a "technology preview", with an explicit warning not to take it as an actual representation of future technology, whereas the Max stuff is just "blatant showing off", you can even see the product name in the video (and it includes "2012")...
That said, more "technology previews" of "our" software would be nice too.
The dark days after the "ICE age" are still unclear to me.

That said, more "technology previews" of "our" software would be nice too.
The dark days after the "ICE age" are still unclear to me.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
My guess is that the Max/Maya teams are more confident to be pushy towards upper management regarding getting clearance to give out information. That might be because they've been with Autodesk longer.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
Probably true, but that would mean the "rules" aren't set in stone,
like some have wanted us to believe for all these years... ;)
like some have wanted us to believe for all these years... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
It really is very simple and there is no 'special' treatment for Max or Maya, and no breaking of rules. These types of materials are exactly what they say they are - Technology previews. They do not absolutely confirm when and if the technology or feature will appear. Even though the title bar of the software shown may say 'xyz pre-release' that does not really confirm anything and we don't say it does either. If people want to read into that, then that's their prerogative. But we are not alllowed to say that what you see will definately appear in 'x product' on 'y date'. That's why there's disclaimers to explain about not making any buying decisions based on what you say.Hirazi Blue wrote:The thing I still don't get, is why "the rules" concerning the showing of new (=future) features can be so easily be circumvented by the Max XBR team, while some other (unnamed???) Autodesk software always cites those same "rules" as its reason to keep tight-lipped about features in (near-)future releases?
To illustrate: this blog post doesn't even pretend not to show "Max 2012 pre-release" video captures...
And sorry, this is truly something I don't understand, not some pointless nagging. ("oh, yes, it is" - "oh, no, it isn't) ;)
People are always hungry for more information about what we're doing and are looking at doing, and these are our ways of getting stuff out there, whilst staying within the rules.
As for a Softimage preview, well it's down there somewhere
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
Partially true, I'd say. The Maya preview is a "technology preview" and is explicitly marked as such with an accompanying disclaimer. That's basically what's missing from the Max sneak peeks. They suggest that the features will be available in the next version by showing the title bar & NOT adding the legalese (i.e the disclaimer)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
desperationHirazi Blue wrote:The thing I still don't get, is why "the rules" concerning the showing of new (=future) features can be so easily be circumvented by the Max XBR team
(http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/ ... ent-page-1)
Last edited by luceric on 23 Feb 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
we made an ICE technology preview just two months ago btw, at 3December\
you commented on it! https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1107&start=30
you commented on it! https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1107&start=30
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
Hmmm, not funny. If you actually read what I posted: I already made the strict distinction between "technology previews" of the Maya (and Softimage, although I didn't mention it explicitly, shame on me) kind and the strange disclaimer-less "sneak peeks" of Max. My original question was related to the Max Sneak Peeks, not to "your" recent "technology preview".
And when I claimed I wanted to see more Softimage "technology previews", I never said there hadn't been any before (I always thought that was what "more" implied)
;)
And when I claimed I wanted to see more Softimage "technology previews", I never said there hadn't been any before (I always thought that was what "more" implied)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: GDC 2011 placeholder thread
I'm really curios about new 2012 release.
I hope Autodesk listen users request and complain
I hope Autodesk listen users request and complain
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15