XSI and Archiviz

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: XSI and Archiviz

Post by Nizar » 12 Dec 2010, 17:07

Honest answer, do not spend your money and time on Softimage if you plan to work in Archviz. There are more versatile apps out there.
Hi,
thanks for your suggestion, my interest is in character (modelling and animation). But in any case, out there, all XSI user I know are all in archiviz

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: XSI and Archiviz

Post by Rork » 16 Dec 2010, 10:58

Hi,

I linked the previous threads on the subject for you here in case you didn't read them yet:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=444&hilit=+archviz
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=436&hilit=+archviz

If one is -only- into archviz, SI might not be the most optimal package to use for everyone, esp. modeling/rendering wise. Despite 3DSMax being a pain, it does have the most plugins, tools and interop links to most CAD software and related apps.
If one uses SI for a lot of different projects, it's one of the better 3D apps to use imho.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: XSI and Archiviz

Post by Rez007 » 16 Dec 2010, 16:06

To be honest, it always seems that the software I use, there is something always "greener" on the other side of the fence...

http://www.luxology.com

They seem to have been going leeps and bounds with this software. Sure the animation might be lacking, but the rest seems really nice. It would be great if Softimage development would look at their competition and make the obvious adjustments.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: XSI and Archiviz

Post by SreckoM » 16 Dec 2010, 16:19

thanks for your suggestion, my interest is in character (modeling and animation).
Well, XSI is gr8 choice than. I read subject line and made conclusion that u need it for exclusively for Archviz.

About Modo, Luxology just know how to do things. I think that in this release is every single thing that users mention on their forums from version 401. Except CA tools.
It is good to own that app.
- H -

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: XSI and Archiviz

Post by Nizar » 17 Dec 2010, 22:08

Hi,
again thanks to all. Rally useful links Mr Rork :)

I come from modo (before modo, Blender and Silo). I can say Modo is a nice app (after a bit customization, out of the box is not so nice)but he has more bugs then tools... Modo crash too frequently for my taste and, finally, cannot get in agreement with Shader Tree.
In any case, look more oriented to architectural visualization (real measure, bevel with many archiviz profile, item layout and great render preview) and, in comparative with SI is rally inexpensive (offer rally lesser, but if you don't need ICE, animation ecc. I think it is right choice: 800 $ and no annual subscription), and don't forgot Modo sculpt is nice too. In any case, Luxology development is slow.
for my need, XSI look (at the moment) a super cool modelling package (sometime I find strange bugs... I will open a thread about)
Well, XSI is gr8 choice than. I read subject line and made conclusion that u need it for exclusively for Archviz.
No, sorry If was a bit vague, I answer only because sometime, someone, ask me about this :) so, only my interest. Tanks for you sentence :)
About Modo, Luxology just know how to do things. I think that in this release is every single thing that users mention on their forums from version 401. Except CA tools.
It is good to own that app.
Agree, in any case, I think, if you need archiviz, Modo can be a nice companion to XSI