Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
the betalist might be closed for new testers, but you can buy licenses and use it in production like a lot of companies do already...
it's all up to you.... ;)
it's all up to you.... ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
You must however admit, this isn't terribly well advertised publicly... ;)
(And I must admit: they probably don't need to advertise it for the kind of customers they are probably aiming for...
)
(And I must admit: they probably don't need to advertise it for the kind of customers they are probably aiming for...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
farhaad_yousefi
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:45
- Yahoo Messenger: farhaad_yousefi@yahoo.com
- Location: tehran-iran
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
maybe they don't want users like us have hands on their tool ;)
and just big companies. that's why no more beta test,no good advertisement,no free limited license for freelancers
but
3delight has an awesome deal and even the main pack has a vary low prize
and just big companies. that's why no more beta test,no good advertisement,no free limited license for freelancers
but
3delight has an awesome deal and even the main pack has a vary low prize
-
AlanMc
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:34
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
I have asked to buy a license and they said it wasn't available. It was indicated that something would happen this year.
So, it seems that at the current time you need to be a company, buying multiple licenses, in order to gain access to it. To be honest, I'm starting to get a bit cheezed off with all the restictions we are seeing in regards to accessing alternative renderers to MR.
Regards,
Alan
So, it seems that at the current time you need to be a company, buying multiple licenses, in order to gain access to it. To be honest, I'm starting to get a bit cheezed off with all the restictions we are seeing in regards to accessing alternative renderers to MR.
Regards,
Alan
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
hmm I was about to write to them about buying 1 license for my home usage...
now I'm thinking they treat it like some luxury product that not everyone can afford? Probably price is over 2000$...
now I'm thinking they treat it like some luxury product that not everyone can afford? Probably price is over 2000$...
AlanMc wrote:I have asked to buy a license and they said it wasn't available. It was indicated that something would happen this year.
So, it seems that at the current time you need to be a company, buying multiple licenses, in order to gain access to it. To be honest, I'm starting to get a bit cheezed off with all the restictions we are seeing in regards to accessing alternative renderers to MR.
Regards,
Alan
-
AlanMc
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:34
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
I would ask anyway. You never know!
What frustrated me is that more and more people within the community seem to be getting access to it, but its obviously not purely a commercial decision.
I'm not sure how much it will cost, although I do recall somewhere it being mentioned that it would cost less than Softimage. So if this a correct measure of the cost, then I should be able to afford it.
Anyway, I hope there is some cheer for us meer mortals soon!
I saw your post on Vimeo.com (nice work) where you used the Vray Beta. I thought it was broken/not working. Has something changed recently?
Regards,
Alan
What frustrated me is that more and more people within the community seem to be getting access to it, but its obviously not purely a commercial decision.
I'm not sure how much it will cost, although I do recall somewhere it being mentioned that it would cost less than Softimage. So if this a correct measure of the cost, then I should be able to afford it.
Anyway, I hope there is some cheer for us meer mortals soon!
I saw your post on Vimeo.com (nice work) where you used the Vray Beta. I thought it was broken/not working. Has something changed recently?
Regards,
Alan
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
Hi!
Maybe I could clear something up. Most of it was already said by Marocs in this video.
Beta is closed to individuals, not for firms, so don´t be disappointed, it just got overcrowded at some point. This has nothing to do with some kind of strange thinking or something, merely due to practical reasons. Those guys showing up some stuff rendered with arnold mostly got on the beta one year ago. So you can test it of course, but it´s watermarked, so you can´t use it during production...So be patient and just wait...
In the meantime, why not getting on the Beta for Vray? It´s quite promising, too, and works nicely in most parts already. It´s always good to have alternatives.
cheers,
oliver
Maybe I could clear something up. Most of it was already said by Marocs in this video.
Beta is closed to individuals, not for firms, so don´t be disappointed, it just got overcrowded at some point. This has nothing to do with some kind of strange thinking or something, merely due to practical reasons. Those guys showing up some stuff rendered with arnold mostly got on the beta one year ago. So you can test it of course, but it´s watermarked, so you can´t use it during production...So be patient and just wait...
In the meantime, why not getting on the Beta for Vray? It´s quite promising, too, and works nicely in most parts already. It´s always good to have alternatives.
Quote from HERE> Do I understand you right: VRay for Softimage development slowed down
> because of SI render API weaknesses?
The new API changes caused us a lot of headaches as many things broke
and had to be fixed. But on the other hand, those changes were done to
make our job easier for the future, so I'm not complaining. Other
than that, integrating a renderer (to the extent that we want anyway) is
simply a tedious job and takes its time.
> So what's holding you up from making this fantastic renderer available
> for this fantastic host app?
Nothing much at this point, I guess. There are some little bits and
pieces that are still missing, but they will be done soon.
Best regards,
Vlado
cheers,
oliver
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
AlanMc
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:34
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
"...So be patient and just wait..."
Okay, but for how long?! You have to agree, that its been ages since the lucky ones have been showing examples of their renders.
Anyway, do you know who I should contact to get onto the Vray beta? I agree alternatives are good.
Regards,
Alan
Okay, but for how long?! You have to agree, that its been ages since the lucky ones have been showing examples of their renders.
Anyway, do you know who I should contact to get onto the Vray beta? I agree alternatives are good.
Regards,
Alan
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
Alan,
Just a suggestion, as this is what I will most likely end up doing as well once I am done with a project, but seriously look into 3Delight, as was mentioned earlier on, for the time being. It is free for commercial use, unless you want to use more than 2 cores, which then it is not that expensive either, and it is a production proven renderer that has some big names under its belt. In case you miss what I typed in the sentence above...it is FREE - that is very rare and is quite nice. I think that is a better alternative than waiting to be on a Beta list for 2 softwares that have been in development, or lack there of, for quite a long time. Seriously, Arnold might be powerful, but who is to say when it will be available and for how much. As for Vray, well that was supposed to come out a long time ago, then got halted, and now finally seems to be picking up again. I think what DNA is giving is tremendous, and seems like people are falling into the hype of what they think they should be using...
Another note: Which might be to the contrary of popular belief, but does one really think that Mental Images is going to be sitting back any longer like they might have been in the past, when there is a boom of new renderers, and people using and/or waiting for those new renderers to come out - for some reason I don't think so. Mental Ray is very power as it is now, and with the recent buy out by NVIDIA; people might be taking another look at Mental Ray by the time the aforementioned Arnold actually does make it out to market...Just in case you were not aware, Mental Ray 3.9 is due out shortly, and yes, Mental Image's cycles seem to take forever, but they are getting quite close to 4.0, which is a full cycle/release and usually that is when major things tend to happen.
Just a suggestion, as this is what I will most likely end up doing as well once I am done with a project, but seriously look into 3Delight, as was mentioned earlier on, for the time being. It is free for commercial use, unless you want to use more than 2 cores, which then it is not that expensive either, and it is a production proven renderer that has some big names under its belt. In case you miss what I typed in the sentence above...it is FREE - that is very rare and is quite nice. I think that is a better alternative than waiting to be on a Beta list for 2 softwares that have been in development, or lack there of, for quite a long time. Seriously, Arnold might be powerful, but who is to say when it will be available and for how much. As for Vray, well that was supposed to come out a long time ago, then got halted, and now finally seems to be picking up again. I think what DNA is giving is tremendous, and seems like people are falling into the hype of what they think they should be using...
Another note: Which might be to the contrary of popular belief, but does one really think that Mental Images is going to be sitting back any longer like they might have been in the past, when there is a boom of new renderers, and people using and/or waiting for those new renderers to come out - for some reason I don't think so. Mental Ray is very power as it is now, and with the recent buy out by NVIDIA; people might be taking another look at Mental Ray by the time the aforementioned Arnold actually does make it out to market...Just in case you were not aware, Mental Ray 3.9 is due out shortly, and yes, Mental Image's cycles seem to take forever, but they are getting quite close to 4.0, which is a full cycle/release and usually that is when major things tend to happen.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
AlanMc
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:34
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
Rez007,
Thanks for your comments.
I have actually thought about installing 3Delight, but I'm not sure of having to learn renderman shaders, etc. I still would like to have transparent and reflective materials, so my understanding is that its not the best for this type of work. However, I may be wrong.
In regards to MR, I don't think its a bad renderer but I would like to compare it against another. Also, with SI we don't seem to get the new features anyway. So, in some way my opinion of MR is poorer due to the way in which it is implemented in SI. I just don't understand why Maya and Max receive the new features and SI doesn't.
I would hope that MI do start taking some notice of the competition as I agree the MR release cycle is kind of long winded. I recall many years ago that MR was considered one of the best renderers, if not the best commercially available production renderer. Maybe they have just sat back on this too long thinking that with their link to Autodesk they have a solid revenue stream and no need to work too hard. This may be harsh but I call it as I see it.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks for your comments.
I have actually thought about installing 3Delight, but I'm not sure of having to learn renderman shaders, etc. I still would like to have transparent and reflective materials, so my understanding is that its not the best for this type of work. However, I may be wrong.
In regards to MR, I don't think its a bad renderer but I would like to compare it against another. Also, with SI we don't seem to get the new features anyway. So, in some way my opinion of MR is poorer due to the way in which it is implemented in SI. I just don't understand why Maya and Max receive the new features and SI doesn't.
I would hope that MI do start taking some notice of the competition as I agree the MR release cycle is kind of long winded. I recall many years ago that MR was considered one of the best renderers, if not the best commercially available production renderer. Maybe they have just sat back on this too long thinking that with their link to Autodesk they have a solid revenue stream and no need to work too hard. This may be harsh but I call it as I see it.
Regards,
Alan
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
That specific part of your argument seems to stem from a slight misunderstanding:AlanMc wrote:but I'm not sure of having to learn renderman shaders, etc.
Quoted from their User Manual3Delight for Softimage automatically converts Softimage’s render trees (including compounds) into RenderMan shaders and compiles them on the fly.
while
But that is, again, me quoting the manual, not me speaking from experience... ;)It is possible to connect RenderMan shaders to geometry (or groups) and use them instead of Softimage’s materials.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
farhaad_yousefi
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:45
- Yahoo Messenger: farhaad_yousefi@yahoo.com
- Location: tehran-iran
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
thanks Hirazi for awesome forum handling.!!

-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
Hirazi is just an advanced dutch bot
As for 3delight, I don't think it's MR replacement, rather companion (like Si to maya lol)
Arnold/vray will be mr replacement.
As for 3delight, I don't think it's MR replacement, rather companion (like Si to maya lol)
Arnold/vray will be mr replacement.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
If it's that obvious, I'm not nearly advanced enough...origin wrote:Hirazi is just an advanced dutch bot
Being a companion isn't necessarily a bad thing ("like Si to maya"), but I really think its too early to tell, as "Arnold for Softimage" is still in beta with no real indication about the licensing details and "Vray for Softimage" could well turn out to be the "Duke Nukem Forever" of the renderer world. I think DNA Research made a wise choice with their free version and the general lowering of prices (at least compared to their Maya version). Let's see how it plays out. A renderer that works and everyone can testdrive has "some" advantages over a renderer that only exists in beta (especially if the beta is closed), IMHO. The moment "Arnold for Softimage" and "Vray for Softimage" get out of beta, the game obviously changes. Wake me if and when it happens...As for 3delight, I don't think it's MR replacement, rather companion (like Si to maya lol)
Arnold/vray will be mr replacement.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
farhaad_yousefi
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:45
- Yahoo Messenger: farhaad_yousefi@yahoo.com
- Location: tehran-iran
Re: Softimage Ueber Tage 2010 Videos
companion or not piotrek , you must admit it's very fast,and production friendly.!origin wrote:Hirazi is just an advanced dutch bot
As for 3delight, I don't think it's MR replacement, rather companion (like Si to maya lol)
Arnold/vray will be mr replacement.