Softimage 2014

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Superpositivo » 16 Apr 2013, 21:22

Chris_TC wrote:
xsisupport wrote:
adrencg wrote:Stephen, are you still at Autodesk? I thought you moved to SolidAngle.
That's right, I am at Solid Angle now (I was part of the 7% workforce reduction at Autodesk last August).
Some old habits (like answering Softimage licensing questions) die hard.
It's great you're kind of still with us! :)
I was thinking exactly the same.

I don't know why, but seeing Stephen here , time by time, gives a kind of safeness...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Apr 2013, 08:54

Yes, Autodesk should start paying Stephen for all the great work he still does... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Apr 2013, 09:25

Not to rain on Stephens potential revenue streams but ADSK's loss has been a massive gain for Arnold and its community ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

lard
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 19:57

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by lard » 17 Apr 2013, 16:18

Is it possible for me to upgrade to Softimage 2012 SAP specifically? It seems all studios and freelancers are sticking to this release. Can I buy a specific version without support? I'm currently running Softimage 2011sp2.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by xsisupport » 17 Apr 2013, 16:50

lard wrote:Is it possible for me to upgrade to Softimage 2012 SAP specifically? It seems all studios and freelancers are sticking to this release. Can I buy a specific version without support? I'm currently running Softimage 2011sp2.
Nope. To get 2012 SAP you would need to buy 2014 and Subscription.
Previous versions cannot be purchased. You may want to confirm that with a reseller, just to be sure.
But even if you could buy 2012, you wouldn't get 2012 SAP without being on Subs.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Apr 2013, 16:15

Firebird wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Are the suites available for download now for anyone? Mine still isn't.
No
I´m also waiting for the Creation Suite to appear in the sub center
Any luck yet? I'm still waiting. They seem to work as a team now to generate my serial, according to support....
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Bullit » 19 Apr 2013, 20:47

Any new interesting sample scene in v2014 ?
Edit: i am mostly interested in ICE scenes.

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by adrencg » 20 Apr 2013, 00:36

Steve, while you're dispensing all of your licensing knowledge --- do you know any common causes for a license server to need to be restarted frequently? At least once or twice a day. Especially after the computer has been asleep.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by xsisupport » 20 Apr 2013, 11:42

adrencg wrote:Steve, while you're dispensing all of your licensing knowledge --- do you know any common causes for a license server to need to be restarted frequently? At least once or twice a day. Especially after the computer has been asleep.
Hi

Confirm (in LMTOOLS > Config Services) that Start Server at Power Up is enabled.
Check the settings for the service in the Services console (click Start > type services.msc). Everything look ok?

The license server is a Windows service, and sleep should not stop it. I've never had that problem myself, or had a support case for that problem (so I don't have any previous experiences to draw upon).

You're not using a USB network adapter or anything like that, are you? In a case like that, then maybe the device is not waking up (and the license is tied to the Ethernet address of that device).

Maybe check the Windows event log and see if anything jumps out at you?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 20 Apr 2013, 13:36

Bullit wrote:Any new interesting sample scene in v2014 ?
Edit: i am mostly interested in ICE scenes.
There seem to be 5 new Syflex scenes showing mapped constraints and one blending two sims with a weightmap.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by adrencg » 20 Apr 2013, 15:07

xsisupport wrote:
adrencg wrote:Steve, while you're dispensing all of your licensing knowledge --- do you know any common causes for a license server to need to be restarted frequently? At least once or twice a day. Especially after the computer has been asleep.
Hi

Confirm (in LMTOOLS > Config Services) that Start Server at Power Up is enabled.
Check the settings for the service in the Services console (click Start > type services.msc). Everything look ok?

The license server is a Windows service, and sleep should not stop it. I've never had that problem myself, or had a support case for that problem (so I don't have any previous experiences to draw upon).

You're not using a USB network adapter or anything like that, are you? In a case like that, then maybe the device is not waking up (and the license is tied to the Ethernet address of that device).

Maybe check the Windows event log and see if anything jumps out at you?
Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with all that stuff. I've now noticed that I'm getting random crashes, and when I try to restart Softimage the license server is not active. So I'm thinking the crash is being caused by the random disconnection of the license server.

I'm going to put a support ticket into Autodesk, and pray that it gets resolved, because I can see this issue killing my workflow. I've already lost hours of work over this.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by xsisupport » 20 Apr 2013, 15:43

adrencg wrote:
xsisupport wrote:
adrencg wrote:Steve, while you're dispensing all of your licensing knowledge --- do you know any common causes for a license server to need to be restarted frequently? At least once or twice a day. Especially after the computer has been asleep.
Hi

Confirm (in LMTOOLS > Config Services) that Start Server at Power Up is enabled.
Check the settings for the service in the Services console (click Start > type services.msc). Everything look ok?

The license server is a Windows service, and sleep should not stop it. I've never had that problem myself, or had a support case for that problem (so I don't have any previous experiences to draw upon).

You're not using a USB network adapter or anything like that, are you? In a case like that, then maybe the device is not waking up (and the license is tied to the Ethernet address of that device).

Maybe check the Windows event log and see if anything jumps out at you?

Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with all that stuff. I've now noticed that I'm getting random crashes, and when I try to restart Softimage the license server is not active. So I'm thinking the crash is being caused by the random disconnection of the license server.

I'm going to put a support ticket into Autodesk, and pray that it gets resolved, because I can see this issue killing my workflow. I've already lost hours of work over this.

Anything in the LMTOOLS debug log?
I'd probably try running Process Monitor, put the computer to sleep, wake it back up, and then see what the flexlm lic service was doing.

EDIT: Random crashes? Then maybe it's a system problem.
EDIT: For the license service, a quick workaround is to update xsi.bat to start the service if it's not running. Now that I think of it, I had to do that once for somebody. Always meant to blog that.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Bullit » 20 Apr 2013, 16:41

There seem to be 5 new Syflex scenes showing mapped constraints and one blending two sims with a weightmap.
Thanks my dear Lord. :D

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 21 Apr 2013, 10:38

Bullit wrote:
There seem to be 5 new Syflex scenes showing mapped constraints and one blending two sims with a weightmap.
Thanks my dear Lord. :D
You may call me "Futzi" ;)
I'm now part of an endangered species...

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by adrencg » 21 Apr 2013, 14:50

Steve, what would I add to the .bat to make that happen?

User avatar
Firebird
Posts: 81
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:08
Location: Vienna

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Firebird » 22 Apr 2013, 07:54

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Firebird wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Are the suites available for download now for anyone? Mine still isn't.
No
I´m also waiting for the Creation Suite to appear in the sub center
Any luck yet? I'm still waiting. They seem to work as a team now to generate my serial, according to support....
Hi
At the moment still waiting. Im in contact with the sub center support since last week and they are looking into it. Well lets see how long it takes.