While I wouldn't disagree with it's capable of producing great content. Which I believe, in part, is because of the inclusion of many excellent external ice tools in such examples.luceric wrote:don't get me wrong, it would be best today if Softimage had been made cross-platform originally. I'm just saying, it's not realistic to talk about a core rewrite. Every product in the market has things it could have done differently. We have to appreciate Softimage for what it does great and go ahead and produce great content with it. This product is forward-looking enough in its design that it will continue to be relevant for artists for a long time.
I can't really be sold that it's "forward-looking enough for a long time", without certain functionality clearly being implemented by Autodesk itself.
One such example is that for a long time there has only been dx9 support. Considering what you say its use in games companies. The way ports are done it's understandable, but also consider their futures and inherently SI's too, they wont always do things that way, and especially with dx 10, 11 and 12, and what the market demands those products to be.
I am very surprised that this core 'dx' functionality and clear future-proofing has been left untouched for so long. To me, that's just one example of functionality that clearly has to be addressed by AD itself, to make the statement ring true and to be true.