SI Technology Previews
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
I have just returned from 2 weeks in the US on business, so haven't had the time. Not sure I will now to be honest, besides you guys are too hard to please. 
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: SI Technology Previews
SolidAngle should not be on your list as they don't sell their product to most artists, I've been trying to get them to sell me a license of Arnold for over a yearBellsey wrote: SolidAngle, Chaos Group and Exocortex don't seem to have a problem.
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: SI Technology Previews
They are still a third party developer.pluMmet wrote:SolidAngle should not be on your list as they don't sell their product to most artists, I've been trying to get them to sell me a license of Arnold for over a yearBellsey wrote: SolidAngle, Chaos Group and Exocortex don't seem to have a problem.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SI Technology Previews
That doesn't negate the fact they are a huge supporter of Softimage and its development. SolidAngle are being smart about controlling the number of users it can support. Would you like to have a license to a software and have to wait 3 months for a support email response? Its for the benefit of their current customers and themselves to build a stronger company.pluMmet wrote:SolidAngle should not be on your list as they don't sell their product to most artists, I've been trying to get them to sell me a license of Arnold for over a yearBellsey wrote: SolidAngle, Chaos Group and Exocortex don't seem to have a problem.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
Solid Angles licensing policy? Let's not go there yet again! 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: SI Technology Previews
Says the man with access to ArnoldEricTRocks wrote:That doesn't negate the fact they are a huge supporter of Softimage and its development. SolidAngle are being smart about controlling the number of users it can support. Would you like to have a license to a software and have to wait 3 months for a support email response? Its for the benefit of their current customers and themselves to build a stronger company.
-
brudney
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 15:08
Re: SI Technology Previews
OMG LOL, even today I find it hard to believe that as incredibly ridiculous that sounds, it's true...pluMmet wrote:
...I've been trying to get them to sell me a license of Arnold for over a year
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
Too subtle?Hirazi Blue wrote:Solid Angles licensing policy? Let's not go there yet again!
I (in my role as a Moderator/Administrator) strongly suggest not letting this thread drift
into yet another bitter discussion about the pros and cons of Arnold licensing...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: SI Technology Previews
Sorry HB, not really complaining...
So when was si2012 released last year, are we around that time frame now?
So when was si2012 released last year, are we around that time frame now?
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: SI Technology Previews
If this meant that they actually let me buy it, then: hell yes. I'd buy it with no support at all.EricTRocks wrote:SolidAngle are being smart about controlling the number of users it can support. Would you like to have a license to a software and have to wait 3 months for a support email response?
@Hirazi: I just answered the question, not trying to start a discussion.
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: SI Technology Previews
and autodesk does sell version of max/maya WITHOUT advanced support. so it is possible.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SI Technology Previews
Do I?pluMmet wrote:Says the man with access to ArnoldEricTRocks wrote:That doesn't negate the fact they are a huge supporter of Softimage and its development. SolidAngle are being smart about controlling the number of users it can support. Would you like to have a license to a software and have to wait 3 months for a support email response? Its for the benefit of their current customers and themselves to build a stronger company.
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
Since there probably wont be any more previews (we're tough crowd, we bite when shown something meant for those dirty "autodesk platform" guys, arrrrrrggg! ;) ), with release date nearing by and all, i might as well derail this thread even further. Hopefully Hirazi wont mind...
So, how realistic do you guys think is to expect an UI rewrite in near future? And before you yell "mutiny!" am not asking because i want darker UI. I just see a lot of great plugins that would have been tenfold better if the developer had more freedom creating an interface for it. Would this be as monumental task as i think it would be? Would you welcome it? Seeing how maya still has a lot of problems 2 years after introducing Qt, would it be worth it? Is this even a viable idea? Maybe there are some legacy issues that would prevent it or make it extremely unlikely...
So, how realistic do you guys think is to expect an UI rewrite in near future? And before you yell "mutiny!" am not asking because i want darker UI. I just see a lot of great plugins that would have been tenfold better if the developer had more freedom creating an interface for it. Would this be as monumental task as i think it would be? Would you welcome it? Seeing how maya still has a lot of problems 2 years after introducing Qt, would it be worth it? Is this even a viable idea? Maybe there are some legacy issues that would prevent it or make it extremely unlikely...
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SI Technology Previews
Personally all I'd really want is the current UI elements to be modernized a bit (they still look a bit early 90s to me, just needs a little modernization) and they can darken the UI a bit if they care to, no biggy to me. I don't want a complete rewrite of the UI as that will just toss all kinds of "fun" shit our way in terms of glitches. What I would prefer is a built in QT implementation so we can create our own interfaces for our plug-ins. This can already be done with the open source one and others that studios have rolled out on their own, but I want one without having to install or configure anything myself.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
@bottleofram - I don't mind the derailment per se at all, as this specific thread has already derailed in so many directions... I warned for ONE specific derailment as it is my experience that discussions concerning Arnold licensing tend to turn ugly quickly. Maybe I was just being overprotective... Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You're right, last year they announced the new version of SI around the GDC. This year they didn't, as they wanted to highlight their "Gameware" middleware product line, and officially we do not know when SI2013 will be announced and subsequently released.pluMmet wrote:So when was si2012 released last year, are we around that time frame now?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: SI Technology Previews
I received an email from AD the other day to sign up for a virtual event on March 29th, where the event says: "Join us for this free Autodesk Virtual Event and see how the latest Autodesk software can help you lead the way in bringing your ideas to life and transforming your business," with an additional "This is an event you won't want to miss." Based on this email I think one could assume that it will be announced very soon, to correlate with this event - as it seems logical. If I remember correctly, something like this was done similar a little while back upon a new release...just speculation.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames