Softimage 2012 Experiences

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Memag » 17 May 2011, 11:58

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: If it´s known it should be in the known issues list.
Anyway this is what support answered:

(quote from support)
Hi Achim.
I see.
This is also related to the FG code in this particular drop and the issue has been flagged with high importance.
We logged: WNCH-1408 Regression - Issue with FG calculation and processor usage

Thanks for reporting
(end of quote)

Doesn´t look like "oh yes we know that and are working on it", does it?
Making it impossible to do proper fgpoint caching is not an issue that "can wait". And you find it by just doing quite normal workflows.

Achim
They said it is flagged "high importance".
I imagine they will fix a lot of bugs and release service pack,
and not address every bug and broken feature you've found and deliver to your door.
All you can do now, is wait.

I'd love to see MR swapped with Arnold, in the future.
I'd love to see some TLC on modeling toolset as well.

Thanks for reading.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 May 2011, 12:12

They set it on high priority because I reported it, not any betatester.
The other one is this:
(quote from support)
Hi Achim.
This does seem like a severe issue if you append to a single file and I have pinged the project manager to notify him of the issue.
I have no other solution here.
We logged:
WNCH-1394 Regression - Final Gathering map creating huge file when in append mode

(end of quote)

In fact I do think, I can demand a software where things are working. Do you really think "all you can do is wait" will make things better? If you buy a car and it comes without, say a steering wheel, would you say "ok, I´ll drive my old car until they fixed it, because all i can do is wait..."
Or else, if you where Autodesk, and you knew your customers think like that, would put any effort in getting things right? There was in fact a time, when software came out and you had to work really hard to find any bugs. There are companies who still manage to achieve that. But there are also users who do not demand 150 new features every release nor any release every 6 months.
It´s true: it´s not all Autodesks fault. It´s also the acceptance of the users who are willing to get sloppy software delivered if they only have new shiny features. There are also companies who rely exactly on this mentality.
So if anyone expects anything to change, stop swallowing anything they throw at you.

(sorry for ranting)

Achim
Last edited by Lord Futzi Voldemort on 17 May 2011, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Memag » 17 May 2011, 12:22

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: In fact I do think, I can demand a software where things are working. Do you really thing "all you can do is wait" will make things better? If you buy a car and it comes without, say a stearing wheel, would you say "ok, I´ll drive my old car until they fixed it, because all i can do is wait..."
Or else, if you where Autodesk, and you knew your customers think like that, would put any effort in getting things right? There was in fact a time, when software came out and you had to work really hard to find any bugs. There are companies who still manage to achieve that. But there are also users who do not demand 150 new features every release nor any release every 6 months.
It´s true: it´s not all Autodesks fault. It´s also the acceptance of the users who are willing to get sloppy software delivered if they only have new shiny features. There are also companies who rely exactly on this mentality.
So if anyone expects anything to change, stop swallowing anything they throw at you.

(sorry for ranting)

Achim
So what will you do?
Invest time and money into another, equally buggy software,
or report bugs and wait for the fixes?

Maybe beta testers were procrastinating during the testing period.

And I 'd never buy a car without a steering wheel, cause that would be my bad.

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Kzin » 17 May 2011, 12:43

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote: WNCH-1394 Regression - Final Gathering map creating huge file when in append mode

(end of quote)
the fg mapsize bug is fixed in mr before the 2012 release, i think it was this bug. but the fix from mi comes to late for the 2012 release, so they could not implemented it.
what we need here is a mr version with constantly fixes in ad products. its up to ad to integrate the fixes and mi do alot of fixes, also pretty fast (but they are working on this topic i think).
read the mr fixlist from mi and you will see that.

for your car example, yes, i think the same way. but we are talking about software here and you dont have such high standards for it. in terms of ad, its a diferent story, because its not the qa which said "we must release on date x, not interested in quality of the soft". ;) also, the users know not to use every new version without sp1.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 May 2011, 13:24

Kzin wrote:
for your car example, yes, i think the same way. but we are talking about software here and you dont have such high standards for it. in terms of ad, its a diferent story, because its not the qa which said "we must release on date x, not interested in quality of the soft". ;) also, the users know not to use every new version without sp1.
Yeah right, so I fall back to SI 2011, where still the shaders are disconnecting. (I know another Hotfix is on the way, so at what point in terms of hotfixes can I expect a software to be -at least- safe?)
I really don´t know why everybody thinks all this are laws of nature and noone can do anything about it. Least the people who pay for it.
Ask yourself: where do the standards come from? Companies sell what people buy.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by luceric » 17 May 2011, 14:04

there is no upcoming hotfix for 2011, all the work is completed with SP2. you shouldn't post stuff like that

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 May 2011, 15:58

luceric wrote:there is no upcoming hotfix for 2011, all the work is completed with SP2. you shouldn't post stuff like that
Autodesk Support April 27. 2011:
Hi Achim,

A new hotfix will be released soon for the disconnected shaders.
Would you like me to open a new case for you, for the disconnected shader problem?

Then I can close this case.

Thanks



Best regards,

Stephen Blair
Autodesk Support Team
April 20. 2011
Hi Achim,

For the disconnected shaders, we have a HotFix3 coming out soon.
If you want a pre-release version of the HotFix3, let me know.

Thanks



Best regards,

Stephen Blair
Autodesk Support Team
I´m not making stuff up.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by xsisupport » 17 May 2011, 16:37

Hi guys

The hotfix3 was repackaged as a service pack (after I sent that email).
So if you have 2011 SP2 or 2011.5 SP1, then you have the "hot fix" that I mentioned then.

Thanks

Steve Blair
Softimage Support Guy at Autodesk
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 May 2011, 17:01

Memag wrote:
So what will you do?
Invest time and money into another, equally buggy software,
or report bugs and wait for the fixes?

Maybe beta testers were procrastinating during the testing period.

And I 'd never buy a car without a steering wheel, cause that would be my bad.
Thats exactly what I´m doing. I report bugs, and wait for the fixes. But do I not have the right to be upset? These are my SI 2012 experiences and after all, that´s what this thread is about.
And if I´m dissapointed, shouldn´t I express it? Everyone should. Do you want it to go on like this forever?

I wouldn´t buy a car either if I just knew there is no steering wheel. That´s what it´s all about.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Memag » 17 May 2011, 17:19

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Memag wrote:
So what will you do?
Invest time and money into another, equally buggy software,
or report bugs and wait for the fixes?

Maybe beta testers were procrastinating during the testing period.

And I 'd never buy a car without a steering wheel, cause that would be my bad.
Thats exactly what I´m doing. I report bugs, and wait for the fixes. But do I not have the right to be upset? These are my SI 2012 experiences and after all, that´s what this thread is about.
And if I´m dissapointed, shouldn´t I express it? Everyone should. Do you want it to go on like this forever?

I wouldn´t buy a car either if I just knew there is no steering wheel. That´s what it´s all about.

Achim
You have every right to be upset, don't get me wrong. I think more people should express themselves, like you do.
I just pointed on the fact that there is nothing else to do, right now but wait for the fix.
Unless you're thinking of going guerrilla on Autodesk HQ?
Can't you trial the product before purchasing it?

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 May 2011, 17:43

Memag wrote: You have every right to be upset, don't get me wrong. I think more people should express themselves, like you do.
I just pointed on the fact that there is nothing else to do, right now but wait for the fix.
Unless you're thinking of going guerrilla on Autodesk HQ?
Can't you trial the product before purchasing it?
Haha, haven´t thought about the querilla thing yet. Thanks for the idea. :D

No seriously: I´m a subscription user. If I where not, I´d just wait for the latest release to be stable and the upgrade. So I get whats promised at the time I pay. But since I´m paying in advance, I invest my money and my trust in things to come. And, to make that clear, what I would like to see is indeed less releases, less new features and alot more quality, I would in fact pay the same money. The reason is the only thing that gets my jobs done is reliability. Not more not less. My reliability, which my customers take for granted, and the reliability of my tool, which I would like to take for granted. My clients don ask for IRay, progressive rendering, ICE modelling or whatever. My clients ask for images. And yes, I could do a lot of them in blender too.
In the past I could say XSI never let me down. I can´t say this anymore.
I just had to transfer a complete project over to maya, because when all was finished except rendering, I stumbled over the FG bugs. If I had known they were there, I´d done the project in si 2011 or even maya in the first place. And I have my maya licence only because of compatibility reasons for some of my clients.
And I bet a lot of you have similar stories.
So again, all I wan´t is reliability, the same other people expect from me. Andif the betatesters are under to much pressure, than everybody already knows what to start with to make things better.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by ActionArt » 17 May 2011, 20:32

I just saw this on the mailing list:


"The official target for vray on xsi is q4 this year. Fingers crossed
for that, as the beta is going well.

regards,
octav"

Here's hoping :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 May 2011, 20:43

The question here is, however, is Ureche Octavian, who posted the message
you quoted from the Mailing List saying so in an official "Chaos Group" capacity
or as a "mere" beta tester?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by ActionArt » 17 May 2011, 20:59

I have no idea, but it's the only news I've heard for a while.

I definitely wouldn't make plans based on that :)

mosy252
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 May 2011, 09:24

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by mosy252 » 17 May 2011, 21:27

can u please give me the link of that topic in mailinglist?

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by ActionArt » 17 May 2011, 21:44

Ummm....this may be a stupid question, but how do I do that? I just receive the mail from my main server and there isn't a "link" as such that I know of. Are you a subscriber? It came in around 1:30 today (mountain time).

Ureche Octavian was the author.