Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
OzAdi
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 11:13

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by OzAdi » 05 Aug 2013, 13:58

from here:
"I found it interesting throughout the evening that there was not one word mentioned about Softimage, and a anonymous source inside Autodesk confirmed my suspicions for a couple years. Softimage was not long for this world, and they are really only issuing maintenance releases when need be. Most if not all the programming staff has been shifted over to working on Maya already. It makes sense; why compete with yourself? I don’t expect 3DS Max to follow suit any time soon, the games market and Max are so intertwined and large that they can support Max as an ongoing concern just for gaming and real-time for at least another few years. I did hear from some pretty major developers like Crytek though, that they had just retooled their pipeline from Max to Maya, so there may be some movement towards a unified “one app for entertainment” in Autodesk’s future."

did I miss anything?

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by iamVFX » 05 Aug 2013, 14:06

And that, kids, what happens when you rely on proprietary software.

Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Aug 2013, 14:11

(...) and a anonymous source inside Autodesk confirmed my suspicions for a couple years. Softimage was not long for this world, and they are really only issuing maintenance releases when need be. Most if not all the programming staff has been shifted over to working on Maya already.
Nice find, OzAdi, spares me the pain of wading through the whole article. So everybody at Autodesk is finally happy now? No more Softimage, all hail the mighty mighty Maya? End of story? Some real honest confirmation might be nice as a courtesy to year-long customers...
:-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Nizar » 05 Aug 2013, 14:20

I think is only the usual rumors. What happen to all studios and freelance with paid subscription? Many game developers (Kojima studio) using a lot softiamge. ADSK are so sure all will pass to Maya?

Luceric I get the bad feeling that you're taking us for a ride for a while...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by luceric » 05 Aug 2013, 14:24

wellllll.... I posted that link for non-softimage stuff in the rest of the article, which talked about bifrost, xgen, and the other stuff that was actually presented. that blogger's opinion on softimage rumours isn't any more insightful than the thousands of other opinion posted on internet forums and it isn't worth worrying over.

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by gustavoeb » 05 Aug 2013, 14:30

;)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 05 Aug 2013, 14:38

Hirazi Blue wrote:I am partial to Cinema 4D as well (worked with it long ago), as ATM you are not only looking for a side-kick
(and one that is being used almost exclusively in the MoGraph world if you want to work there, or so I hear), but you' might want to start looking for a potential replacement to Softimage (see what I did there?) and IMHO Modo isn't just there yet, while Cinema 4D has some potentially fatal flaws (it is, for instance, not Softimage), but it is a well-rounded package already (and if they'd still had their modular business model, I might have made the switch already, in all brutal honesty).
:p

Now, that's fear mongering!
Your are bad!! :ar!

---- EDIT ----

It was just posted. I've missed. b-(


Anybody saw this (posted on CGSociety)? I don't know if I should give to much credit on it, but who knows ...

http://www.wholeapple.com/siggraph-2013 ... oup-event/

A quote from the article:
I found it interesting throughout the evening that there was not one word mentioned about Softimage, and a anonymous source inside Autodesk confirmed my suspicions for a couple years. Softimage was not long for this world, and they are really only issuing maintenance releases when need be. Most if not all the programming staff has been shifted over to working on Maya already. It makes sense; why compete with yourself? I don’t expect 3DS Max to follow suit any time soon, the games market and Max are so intertwined and large that they can support Max as an ongoing concern just for gaming and real-time for at least another few years. I did hear from some pretty major developers like Crytek though, that they had just retooled their pipeline from Max to Maya, so there may be some movement towards a unified “one app for entertainment” in Autodesk’s future.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Nizar » 05 Aug 2013, 15:02

Digital Tutors seems does not read the article (and not hear the rumors), so release today a new softimage tutorial (two tutorial in three months):
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/trainin ... 30e9bfb447

What really lack is some intermediate/advanced tutorial (some big or complex project)
Last edited by Nizar on 05 Aug 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Bellsey » 05 Aug 2013, 15:23

luceric wrote:wellllll.... I posted that link for non-softimage stuff in the rest of the article, which talked about bifrost, xgen, and the other stuff that was actually presented. that blogger's opinion on softimage rumours isn't any more insightful than the thousands of other opinion posted on internet forums and it isn't worth worrying over.
I agree, that's not a bad report and good to see someone give a good and proper review of the event, especially when there was some really good stuff shown.

As for everything else, you know how Autodesk operates when it comes to providing information on future products, features and roadmaps.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Nizar » 05 Aug 2013, 15:43

Bellsey wrote:
I agree, that's not a bad report and good to see someone give a good and proper review of the event, especially when there was some really good stuff shown.
... and share false and potentially damaging information about Softimage (or is the truth?), but this does not seem a very big concern for you and ADSK in general.

Never thinking do you need a new or at least an improvement inside your PR staff? Do you have a pr/marketing stuff? And if you have one, are sure they know now softimage is under ADSK?

Sorry Bellsey, Softimage management, speaking strictly from a marketing point of view, seems to me a complete disaster. However I appreciate your efforts, but cannot say, in softimage forum, an article pissing on softimage is a good article

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 05 Aug 2013, 18:49

... and share false and potentially damaging information about Softimage (or is the truth?), but this does not seem a very big concern for you and ADSK in general.

Never thinking do you need a new or at least an improvement inside your PR staff? Do you have a pr/marketing stuff? And if you have one, are sure they know now softimage is under ADSK?

Sorry Bellsey, Softimage management, speaking strictly from a marketing point of view, seems to me a complete disaster. However I appreciate your efforts, but cannot say, in softimage forum, an article pissing on softimage is a good article
Yeah. Even though the articles was good, not listening of anything about Softimage is sad. I started to read and search about this industry because of a friend of mine and he was all a SI guy.

About DT, I guess a modeling tutorial is better than nothing, but I wish for tutorials in FX or motion graphics with ICE. I know there's one, but I wanted more. Man ... if I read money back in the day, I would have purchased Softimage. ^#(^

Maybe Autodesk itself could put out there SI tutorials. There's a lot for 3ds Max and Maya on the crap Area or Youtube channel, but Softimage tutorials are few.

User avatar
diissar
Posts: 37
Joined: 08 Nov 2011, 23:17

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by diissar » 05 Aug 2013, 21:00

found this on the Japan Area channel,a nice presentation I think.
most big Video game studios in Japan uses Softimage (Konami,SquareEnix,Capcom,Namco,etc..)I Personaly don't think that Softimage will die soon
One positive thing about Softimage lately is the amount great tools and plugins,http://rray.de/xsi/ is full of great tools and most of them are free.

anyway here is the video just in case you missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LT8_u3TMsM

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 05 Aug 2013, 21:24

diissar wrote:found this on the Japan Area channel,a nice presentation I think.
most big Video game studios in Japan uses Softimage (Konami,SquareEnix,Capcom,Namco,etc..)I Personaly don't think that Softimage will die soon
One positive thing about Softimage lately is the amount great tools and plugins,http://rray.de/xsi/ is full of great tools and most of them are free.

anyway here is the video just in case you missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LT8_u3TMsM
I'm remembering my days of watching anime from this presentation. =]

Nice video diissar. Thanks man. Maybe you are right. LightWave also has a strong Japanese market and maybe that helped them a lot.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 05 Aug 2013, 21:31

Some nice video of Max and PF. I really like this videos for Max. Where are the ones for SI? :))

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/08/video- ... -max-2014/

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Maximus » 05 Aug 2013, 22:24

There was lots of studios who were using Combustion too, and they killed that.
Maybe they wont remove Softimage from the market, but sure a shell everyone can see under their nose that development is almost unexistant, and this from an user point of view is the same as being killed except you can still buy it.

Personally i'm tired of all marketing bs autodesk throw at us, untill i see a real improvement and development to software i wont give them any money. I'm done wasting my money on maya development.
Thats how everyone should do in my opinion. Stop feeding them.

Dont worry, the future is bright. =)) =)) =))

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 05 Aug 2013, 23:12

On an unrelated subject, I'm being playing with modo 701 since friday (downloaded the demo). Trying to compare it with C4D. I've downloaded a model from TurboSquid (ferrari) and duplicated until my system (notebook) started to cry.

11 million quads in C4D and I could still play a simple camera animation through 36 duplicated cars. Tried to do the same thing in Modo and in the 8 million poly (modo count, since it was only 8 cars) the software freezed. Funny thing, if I export through Alembic, Modo converts it to replicators and then I can move and play and the viewport says 25 million polys. Go figure ...