Can someone from beta testers rotate the viewport more intensively as if they actually worked?Memag wrote:
SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Last edited by iamVFX on 28 Mar 2012, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Last time I seen SI users unite and happy about a release was for 2011 SAP
I'm more excited for the plugin done by excortex (species and implosia).
Memag@ the video you post about HQV don't convince me at all, render region seems more fast (or similar speed) and quality is better. I was happy about, must admit, but now reconsidering my enthusiasm, cannot understood how cam be useful.
Confirm the lack of enthusiasm a see in the video, presentation and blog... all seems tired and grey. Not impressed at all, if I didn't know softimage I was not impressed at all or invited, in any way to study/buy it.
OT: little note, SI community seems more frequented and popular then XSIbase, this topic has now 12 page, XSIbase related topic only 6
I'm more excited for the plugin done by excortex (species and implosia).
Memag@ the video you post about HQV don't convince me at all, render region seems more fast (or similar speed) and quality is better. I was happy about, must admit, but now reconsidering my enthusiasm, cannot understood how cam be useful.
Confirm the lack of enthusiasm a see in the video, presentation and blog... all seems tired and grey. Not impressed at all, if I didn't know softimage I was not impressed at all or invited, in any way to study/buy it.
OT: little note, SI community seems more frequented and popular then XSIbase, this topic has now 12 page, XSIbase related topic only 6
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Exactly what I was going to say!iamVFX wrote:Can someone from beta testers rotate the viewport more intensively as if they actually worked?
No-one seems to touch the view once the viewport has resolved. I thought the whole point of this was that you can try out camera angles, and maybe even animate in HQV. Is it so slow that it isn't possible to do this?
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I definitely agree on this, it is just impossible to satisfy everyone.While most of the criticism is valid, there is really no need to be disrespectful to SI developers.
I think it is best time for people to rethink about switching to another apps, or better said, to learn other app from AD portfolio. It is obvious that AD strategy is to force us to use suites, and for specific needs use specific app.
I think it is just masochistic, for example, to wait for AD to develop IRay for SI or add some significant rendering enhancements. Obviously if you are working within arch viz industry it is best to go with 3dsMax, and that analogy goes to all three of them. The era of one app that covers everything is finished I think, at least for AD products.
Can you explain this, please?The Mental Ray thing is perhaps a good example, personally I wouldn't want the guys to implement a new version of MR unless its addresses the concerns I have and/or it's stable enough.
Come on Bellsey, I just can not believe in this. We are talking about AD, much much smaller companies have 10x better presentation than what we see here. I am really thankful for Chinny doing this, do not get me wrong, but guys you are payed for doing something like that, correct? This is not OS software.As for us not caring about this videos, making them appealing, or rushing them out, then again as I said before it often comes down to available resource.
- H -
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Using it on a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 880M and one can whip around the viewport very well with a TRex model, grid, and sphere with an environment shader on the pass and a phong on the models with reflection driven by an incidence.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Video or it didn't happenEricTRocks wrote:Using it on a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 880M and one can whip around the viewport very well with a TRex model, grid, and sphere with an environment shader on the pass and a phong on the models with reflection driven by an incidence.
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Of course the quality is better, it's a render region.Nizar wrote: Memag@ the video you post about HQV don't convince me at all, render region seems more fast (or similar speed) and quality is better.
As far as I get it, HQ viewport wasn't built to replace final renders (with instant result), but to help visualize scenes, lights and materials.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Awe, that's cute. If you don't believe what I write what would make me think you'd believe a video I would post (if I could)? Not to mention, video capture software kills your viewport playback like crazy.
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I hope you a referring to a 'proper' detailed, subpatched T-Rex and not that 3624 triangle approximation of a T-Rex that SI 2012 shipped with?EricTRocks wrote:Using it on a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 880M and one can whip around the viewport very well with a TRex model, grid, and sphere with an environment shader on the pass and a phong on the models with reflection driven by an incidence.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
This a good new! Can you try with a GTX?EricTRocks wrote:Using it on a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 880M and one can whip around the viewport very well with a TRex model, grid, and sphere with an environment shader on the pass and a phong on the models with reflection driven by an incidence.
Memag@ of course, but it don't seems so fast if I compared to render region.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Nice! I think a lot of the reaction has come from the scene that was chosen to demo this. It is a very heavy texturing scene with all the procedurals used. That can really slow down interactivity. I'll happily wait to actually give it a try before judging it too much.
I do think the presentations needed to be far better and much of this controversy would be avoided. AD is a massive company, surely they can afford 1 video producer. One guy could have done all of these videos in a few days. Using a great looking scene in the demo would have gone a long way. Better yet, just freelance the video shoots at the end of the year to a real production company. It'll look great and have a much different effect
I do think the presentations needed to be far better and much of this controversy would be avoided. AD is a massive company, surely they can afford 1 video producer. One guy could have done all of these videos in a few days. Using a great looking scene in the demo would have gone a long way. Better yet, just freelance the video shoots at the end of the year to a real production company. It'll look great and have a much different effect
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Well,it's hard to evaluate it by Eyeball method, but I think the large render region took approximately the same amount of time as the HQV did (2-3sec).Nizar wrote: Memag@ of course, but it don't seems so fast if I compared to render region.
Smaller region, faster rendering. However, it's all just guess work for now. Perhaps it will be more usable than Nitrous or Vv2, even without the flashy presentation.
And it's just been born, so it will get better.
Last edited by Memag on 28 Mar 2012, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I'll stop bothering at all. Nothing is going to please you folks, seriously NOTHING.azurecgi wrote:I hope you a referring to a 'proper' detailed, subpatched T-Rex and not that 3624 triangle approximation of a T-Rex that SI 2012 shipped with?EricTRocks wrote:Using it on a Dell Precision M4500 with a Quadro FX 880M and one can whip around the viewport very well with a TRex model, grid, and sphere with an environment shader on the pass and a phong on the models with reflection driven by an incidence.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Ok, see your point, agree.Memag wrote:Well,it's hard to evaluate it by Eyeball method, but I think the large render region took approximately the same amount of time as the HQV did (2-3sec).Nizar wrote: Memag@ of course, but it don't seems so fast if I compared to render region.
Smaller region, faster rendering. However, it's all just guess work for now. Perhaps it will be more usable than Nitrous or Vv2, even without the flashy presentation.
And it's just been born, so it will get better.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
SreckoM wrote:Can you explain this, please?
Well what I was meaning, if we too a latest & greatest version of MR and it had some fixes but was too unstable for out needs, would you still want it implemented and shipped? Personally I wouldn't want that.
SreckoM wrote: As for us not caring about this videos, making them appealing, or rushing them out, then again as I said before it often comes down to available resource.
Come on Bellsey, I just can not believe in this. We are talking about AD, much much smaller companies have 10x better presentation than what we see here. I am really thankful for Chinny doing this, do not get me wrong, but guys you are payed for doing something like that, correct? This is not OS software.
We have guys in Tech Marketing but they don't know Softimage. For example, Mark, Nabe, Siddarth and myself work in Sales & Service, we all work in different geos, for different people with different responsibilities and sometimes, despite really wanting to do some things, our time only seems to stretch so far.
In a previous thread and post I have said this many times and someone said 'just hire more people' and its easy to say that. If it was that easy, we would of done it.
Yes other companies do appear to do more previews, but then and with the upmost respect, they're smaller than Autodesk, more nimble, less product and also might not be bound by the same business rules.
I'm being as honest as I can and I've said this many times, but I guess no one believes me.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Just because it sounded unbelievable at first
But I understand, you were pushing as much as you could.
I was interested to find out more about this sentence.
I was interested to find out more about this sentence.
Well what I was meaning, if we too a latest & greatest version of MR and it had some fixes but was too unstable for out needs, would you still want it implemented and shipped? Personally I wouldn't want that.
- H -