SI Technology Previews
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: SI Technology Previews
why should ad support directly a compatitive product then they have mudbox in their portfolio, makes no sense to me.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: SI Technology Previews
I guess that depends on how you look at it... why does AD keep updating 3DS Max compatablity/interop with After Effects when Composite ships with Max?Kzin wrote:why should ad support directly a compatitive product then they have mudbox in their portfolio, makes no sense to me.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: SI Technology Previews
because they have stopped Composites development 
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SI Technology Previews
good point... but what is the after effects competitor in AD portfolio? toxic is discontinued.Rez007 wrote:I guess that depends on how you look at it... why does AD keep updating 3DS Max compatablity/interop with After Effects when Composite ships with Max?Kzin wrote:why should ad support directly a compatitive product then they have mudbox in their portfolio, makes no sense to me.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SI Technology Previews
Ho they work on AfterFX compatibility because it's important for 3DSMax in the Motion Graphics market
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: SI Technology Previews
I fully agree, that is not the point I was trying to make. I was just addressing on why someone said it makes no sense for AD to support a competing product when they have something similar in their portfolio - because it is smart business desicion if the market demands. I know AD has Mudbox, but I have no idea how many more seats are out there compared to ZBrush. Would it be more benefical to make a GoZ for all of those users of Zbrush or try to eventually get them to switch to Mudbox? For the compositor situation, which is very niche in Softimage, I personally love the FXCompositor and have really no need for After Effects...
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Sil3
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:17
Re: SI Technology Previews
Very few will trade ZBrush sculpting for Mudbox... in Painting Mudbox takes the lead and theres no discussion, but for Creation/Sculpting and all the extra deformation options Mudbox is not on the same league IMO.
Not having a GOZ for Softimage will not force me to use Mudbox, ZB/Softimage users will do what they have done so far, export it a .Obj.
It would be nice from AD to make a proper GOZ for Softimage, heck it would even be nicer if they made a GOZ for Mudbox, Create/Sculpt/Pose in one and press a button to Paint in the other... I know it will never happen. Maybe one day a GOZ for Mari appears
Not having a GOZ for Softimage will not force me to use Mudbox, ZB/Softimage users will do what they have done so far, export it a .Obj.
It would be nice from AD to make a proper GOZ for Softimage, heck it would even be nicer if they made a GOZ for Mudbox, Create/Sculpt/Pose in one and press a button to Paint in the other... I know it will never happen. Maybe one day a GOZ for Mari appears
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: SI Technology Previews
this can be done with maya and mudbox and i am pretty sure ad will also implement this in max and si.Sil3 wrote: It would be nice from AD to make a proper GOZ for Softimage, heck it would even be nicer if they made a GOZ for Mudbox, Create/Sculpt/Pose in one and press a button to Paint in the other...
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
You can do this right now, between Maya/Max/Soft and Mudbox, its only the single step interop isn't quite as tight as it is with Maya. But essentially its FBX underneath.Kzin wrote:this can be done with maya and mudbox and i am pretty sure ad will also implement this in max and si.Sil3 wrote: It would be nice from AD to make a proper GOZ for Softimage, heck it would even be nicer if they made a GOZ for Mudbox, Create/Sculpt/Pose in one and press a button to Paint in the other...
As for GoZ, that's really down to Pixologic, sure there's an SDK like there is with FBX, but as someone has said, why would Autodesk support that when, imo, we have a perfectly viable and production proven alternative to zBrush with Mudbox and also a tighter interop and data exchange then GoZ.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SI Technology Previews
True, but Mudbox is just playing catch up with ZBrush at this point. Capabilities of ZBrush far outweight those in Mudbox. I do like the interoperability between Mudbox and Softimage (except if you send back to XSI it doesn't update the mesh you sent out ie: A rigged mesh's geo).Bellsey wrote: You can do this right now, between Maya/Max/Soft and Mudbox, its only the single step interop isn't quite as tight as it is with Maya. But essentially its FBX underneath.
As for GoZ, that's really down to Pixologic, sure there's an SDK like there is with FBX, but as someone has said, why would Autodesk support that when, imo, we have a perfectly viable and production proven alternative to zBrush with Mudbox and also a tighter interop and data exchange then GoZ.
The interop Hub needs an SDK so we can help build pipeline tools to other apps. It'd be the considerate thing to do from AD as we're not just talking about other 3D apps that need to interact with the AD software but also our own custom apps and pipeline tools.
-
Sil3
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:17
Re: SI Technology Previews
Actually when I said a GOZ for Mudbox I was referring exactly what it sounded like... from ZB directly into Mudbox to Paint or do some Morphs, if I wanted to import a 1 or 5 million poly's Object into Mud from ZB why would I want to go through Maya/Max/Soft first?
I know its completely unrealistic to even think about it, but...
I know its completely unrealistic to even think about it, but...
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
In some areas yes, others no. It's only on the modelling that zBrush has the jump on Mudbox, but Mudbox isn't that far behind. I think many people forget how good Mudbox is, but many are just more familiar with zBrush and I can see why.EricTRocks wrote:True, but Mudbox is just playing catch up with ZBrush at this point. Capabilities of ZBrush far outweight those in Mudbox. I do like the interoperability between Mudbox and Softimage (except if you send back to XSI it doesn't update the mesh you sent out ie: A rigged mesh's geo).Bellsey wrote: You can do this right now, between Maya/Max/Soft and Mudbox, its only the single step interop isn't quite as tight as it is with Maya. But essentially its FBX underneath.
As for GoZ, that's really down to Pixologic, sure there's an SDK like there is with FBX, but as someone has said, why would Autodesk support that when, imo, we have a perfectly viable and production proven alternative to zBrush with Mudbox and also a tighter interop and data exchange then GoZ.
The interop Hub needs an SDK so we can help build pipeline tools to other apps. It'd be the considerate thing to do from AD as we're not just talking about other 3D apps that need to interact with the AD software but also our own custom apps and pipeline tools.
The Autodesk interop is obviously built with Autodesk apps in mind and there is some SDK capability for it, but its all around FBX. I have seen other studios build similar interop work flows with their own tools and formats, or they've taken the FBX SDK itself and done something else.
As for GoZ, well honestly I think the ball lays in Pixologics court and I'm surprised they don't do something. I think they're missing a few tricks, some of the recent previews and features do look very good indeed, but personally people seem to be easily sucked in. What would zBrush users rather have - hair or a much improved GoZ interop with their 3D package?
Last edited by Bellsey on 16 Mar 2012, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
Third party developers not convinced xsi has a bright future under autodesk? Shocking news.Bellsey wrote:As for GoZ, well honestly I think the ball lays in Pixelogics court and I'm surprised they don't do something.
Would much rather have a good hair styling tool inside 3D package and a batter GoZ interop. Well, in our case a GoZ at all, but thats a different story (people, do bother pixologic when you've got time). They must have identified hair as a weakness they need to exploit. Im not surprised people got excited about it.Bellsey wrote:What would zBrush users rather have - hair or a much improved GoZ interop with their 3D package?
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
SolidAngle, Chaos Group and Exocortex don't seem to have a problem.bottleofram wrote:Third party developers not convinced xsi has a bright future under autodesk? Shocking news.Bellsey wrote:As for GoZ, well honestly I think the ball lays in Pixelogics court and I'm surprised they don't do something.![]()
Well that's kinda my point, was hair really a weakness for zBrush? I'm not sure it was. And since they have added it, is it any better than the hair tools in the other 3D apps, well no, not really.bottleofram wrote:Would much rather have a good hair styling tool inside 3D package and a batter GoZ interop. Well, in our case a GoZ at all, but thats a different story (people, do bother pixologic when you've got time). They must have identified hair as a weakness they need to exploit. Im not surprised people got excited about it.Bellsey wrote:What would zBrush users rather have - hair or a much improved GoZ interop with their 3D package?
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SI Technology Previews
hey who needs GoZ when you can right-click to set a pivot in Softimage?
seriously though, everyone is using ZBrush already without problem, having GoZ is just gravy on top, that means it's low priority, just cool to have.
Apparently the GoZ SDK is free surely one of you guys could knock out an XSI. From what I can tell, I think you don't need any more services from XSI; your problem is hooking to the running Zbrush session, which I assume the GoZ SDK does. You don't need a Sent To SDK for Softimage, LW, Modo and other apps do not have one and they have GoZ.
seriously though, everyone is using ZBrush already without problem, having GoZ is just gravy on top, that means it's low priority, just cool to have.
Apparently the GoZ SDK is free surely one of you guys could knock out an XSI. From what I can tell, I think you don't need any more services from XSI; your problem is hooking to the running Zbrush session, which I assume the GoZ SDK does. You don't need a Sent To SDK for Softimage, LW, Modo and other apps do not have one and they have GoZ.
-
kiwimation
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
So back to the topic of this thread "SI Technology Previews" you got anymore for us???