My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
@bottleofram: I certainly do NOT do CG for so long, but I liked you post a lot and it's outcome. Just wanted to say that.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
@action artActionArt wrote:Do you have any idea what actions are causing these crashes? I was having quite a few myself but 2 things cured it:Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Honestly, I have only one wish:
Reliabilty.
Achim
1) Turn OFF "Threaded Optimization" in Nvidia drivers. This causes all sorts of UI related crashes, especially with the render region tool but also in many different windows including the ice tree.
2) If MR is crashing, force ON "Convert Textures to Memory Maps" in the global settings.
With these two changes I've worked for about 2 weeks without a single crash and I've been pushing it hard.
Try it, see if that makes a difference for you.
I´m thankful for whatever helps even a bit, will try it. I have all kind of problems though from mr muttering when rendering shaderballs in the material manager to a lot of corrupted scene data.
Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
Something serious is wrong then, that's not the norm. Perhaps a fresh install and then add only the addons you need one at a time.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
@Lord Futzi Voldemort - runonce.bat? 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
One other thing SI support suggested when I was having trouble was to re-name your user directory and test from there. That helps determine if it's a third party problem.
Another thing, if you're using the "dual" screen layout preset try default. For some unknown reason I had a whole lot of unexplained crashes with it. No idea why...
Maybe also deactivate shaderballs in the material manager for a while?
Another thing, if you're using the "dual" screen layout preset try default. For some unknown reason I had a whole lot of unexplained crashes with it. No idea why...
Maybe also deactivate shaderballs in the material manager for a while?
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
Though these would be interesting to play with and get inspired.
WebGL Water
WebGL path tracing
Other cool stuff
WebGL Water
WebGL path tracing
Other cool stuff
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
How do you know what future holds? All I know things are pretty unpredictable and anything could happen (remember Avid -> AD).Kzin wrote:the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.
Technology changes rapidly and I think such viewport interaction will eventually be a standard.
Many users can't get Arnold, but there's Vray™ also , so...
Luceric wrote:Softimage's program manager's current position is to not have iray in softimage. Not because it's awesome and must be reserved for Max, but because isn't so hot, and it isn't useful for most of the user base (everything must fit in the GPU RAM for using the GPU, no motion blur, no programmable shader trees, no particles, etc) and is costly to integrate and maintain. (It's not going to be in Maya either, afaik) The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
@Kzin - Insider knowledge or "pessimistic" outlook on the future? 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
who would implement a path tracing render previewsystem in xsi when your final rendersystem does not support this tech and the shadersystems are different.Memag wrote:How do you know what future holds? All I know things are pretty unpredictable and anything could happen (remember Avid -> AD).Kzin wrote:the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.
Technology changes rapidly and I think such viewport interaction will eventually be a standard.
Many users can't get Arnold, but there's Vray™ also , so...
Luceric wrote:Softimage's program manager's current position is to not have iray in softimage. Not because it's awesome and must be reserved for Max, but because isn't so hot, and it isn't useful for most of the user base (everything must fit in the GPU RAM for using the GPU, no motion blur, no programmable shader trees, no particles, etc) and is costly to integrate and maintain. (It's not going to be in Maya either, afaik) The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.
a previewsystem only makes sense if the preview and final renders are consistent. you have this with iray and mr for example because they use the same shaders. i know the limitation of iray. and luceric say why they dont go this way, because it cost to much to code a solution for xsi only.
so i think the short time solution could be the implementation of mr's progressive rendering feature, simply because mental ray is bundeled with xsi.
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
i dont hink we will see something like in the webtech demos in xsi, because it makes no sense to code a different rendering system then the implemented one.Hirazi Blue wrote:@Kzin - Insider knowledge or "pessimistic" outlook on the future?
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
I did not say it will be implemented, I just posted the link because I thought it's cool stuff. However, things constantly change and evolve, nothing will be impossible in the future.Kzin wrote: who would implement a path tracing render previewsystem in xsi when your final rendersystem does not support this tech and the shadersystems are different.
a previewsystem only makes sense if the preview and final renders are consistent. you have this with iray and mr for example because they use the same shaders. i know the limitation of iray. and luceric say why they dont go this way, because it cost to much to code a solution for xsi only.
so i think the short time solution could be the implementation of mr's progressive rendering feature, simply because mental ray is bundeled with xsi.
Truth is, I couldn't post in "Open Discussion" due to some "service unavailable" error, so I posted in "2013 wishlist" thread as it was most appropriate place, in which I was able to post it.
edit:
This is interesting as well.
Last edited by Memag on 17 Feb 2012, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
it would be great to have something like this in xsi, wishlist is right, but i think no one will hear you. ;)Memag wrote: I did not say it will be implemented, I just posted the link because I thought it's cool stuff. However, things constantly change and evolve, nothing will be impossible in the future.
Cheers
-
face
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:28
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
Many thinks can be done with a custom display host.
Also the implementation in the existing preview window is possible and working ;)
face
Also the implementation in the existing preview window is possible and working ;)
face
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
Its certainly making a case for moving lighting/rendering out of the general 3D packages.Memag wrote:Kzin wrote: This is interesting as well.
On other note, Hirazi pointed out here how developers struggle with soft's name and I claimed AD got it wrong. In that video, Softimage basically gets 3 mentions for the price of one so I think I should eat my words. It was a brilliant decision after all.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?
maybe this is obvious because I'm a programmer, but there is no link between that water demo and iray.
it's very easy to write a demo that make interactive water on a grid and casts rays at the bottom of a pool. people have been doing it since the Amiga, and it's even easier now with OpenGL. I had one that ran on DOS and looked exactly like this one. there are a lot of real time ray tracing demos out there. that's not a generic renderer, it's one custom effect and you can't use it in production unless that exactly the effect you need and have no other requirement. in any case, whether you agree or not, iray doesn't do that. iray is not a magic thing that turns things real-time. its goal is to use cuda to accelerate arch viz, and it's not real time ray tracing either.
it's very easy to write a demo that make interactive water on a grid and casts rays at the bottom of a pool. people have been doing it since the Amiga, and it's even easier now with OpenGL. I had one that ran on DOS and looked exactly like this one. there are a lot of real time ray tracing demos out there. that's not a generic renderer, it's one custom effect and you can't use it in production unless that exactly the effect you need and have no other requirement. in any case, whether you agree or not, iray doesn't do that. iray is not a magic thing that turns things real-time. its goal is to use cuda to accelerate arch viz, and it's not real time ray tracing either.