which way is that, because I'm not a rocket scientist.talent103 wrote:WTF??!!! If I had known this last week I never would have renewed my subscription. I feel cheated. DOnt have to be a rocket scientist to see which way he wiond is blowing. But as Selina Kyle said. I'm adaptable.
unnamed side-thread ("exit Stephen Blair?")
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
unnamed side-thread ("exit Stephen Blair?")
(Moderator edit: I've split the following from this thread Bellsey's remark was a follow-up to the following quote, the placeholder thread title isn't meant as a joke, it's merely lack of inspiration - HB)
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
I think this is the main issue here - nor you or we know wtf is going on, who made such a bad dicision (lay off people which were communicated with customers directly and more effectively than other members of the team) and what would give in return.Bellsey wrote:which way is that, because I'm not a rocket scientist.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
But one think we know for sure - 2013 release sucks and the company have to lay off some people to cut budgets, it just doesn't mean that 2014 will not suck, "decision makers" are stay the same and they are not understand the needs of the industry and their customers still, as we can see from this news.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
well I know more than most, but that doesn't mean I know the rationale and criteria for the selection of the 7%. From the comments I have seen, many seem to assume that this 'decision' is some kind of personal and deliberate attack on Softimage, and frankly it wasn't. The types of people affected was very widespread, and the people I knew were good people. I've experienced company layoffs before, and sometimes it can simply be that the people affected were just unlucky. My head, along with the people in my team was probably (and still could be) on the chopping block as well.

Well that's the thing, you don't know for sure and there's too much assuming going on.iamVFX wrote:But one think we know for sure .......
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
i.e. it was someone's random decision, that is the problem I'm pointing outBellsey wrote:well I know more than most, but that doesn't mean I know the rationale and criteria for the selection of the 7%. From the comments I have seen, many seem to assume that this 'decision' is some kind of personal and deliberate attack on Softimage, and frankly it wasn't. The types of people affected was very widespread, and the people I knew were good people. I've experienced company layoffs before, and sometimes it can simply be that the people affected were just unlucky. My head, along with the people in my team was probably (and still could be) on the chopping block as well.
No, 2013 release sucks, it's not assuming. I used it, I tried to close eyes on some flaws, but there was too many for one release to ignore. It's the fact for me at least, I don't know is it true for you, did you ever used Softimage or not.Bellsey wrote:Well that's the thing, you don't know for sure and there's too much assuming going on.iamVFX wrote:But one think we know for sure .......
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
@bellsey
So, how many people from 3dsMax or Maya team are out after this?
So, how many people from 3dsMax or Maya team are out after this?
- H -
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
That wasn't my meaning at alliamVFX wrote:i.e. it was someone's random decision, that is the problem I'm pointing out
is that a joke, loliamVFX wrote:I don't know is it true for you, did you ever used Softimage or not.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Nononono, first things firstSreckoM wrote:@bellsey
So, how many people from 3dsMax or Maya team are out after this?
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Constantine
What happens is the 7% are selected from many departments based typically on salary, and an overall reduction in that departments budget. It really does not have anything to do with Softimage (G.LaF was maya.), nor believe it or not how good the staff member is. All the managers do is meet the given budget.
Whats typical of these situations is the ceo nor senior managers 'walk the shop floor' ie actually know what the staff do, how much they are an asset to the business and how much customers value them.
Interestingly there was a BBC tv series that show just how many ceo's and senior managers have no clue...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Floor_%28UK_TV_series%29
Series 5 Hoover showed it the best, when the ceo found out just (in time) what an asset some staff were he didn't let them go.
So please dont blame Bellsey. Thanks.
What happens is the 7% are selected from many departments based typically on salary, and an overall reduction in that departments budget. It really does not have anything to do with Softimage (G.LaF was maya.), nor believe it or not how good the staff member is. All the managers do is meet the given budget.
Whats typical of these situations is the ceo nor senior managers 'walk the shop floor' ie actually know what the staff do, how much they are an asset to the business and how much customers value them.
Interestingly there was a BBC tv series that show just how many ceo's and senior managers have no clue...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Floor_%28UK_TV_series%29
Series 5 Hoover showed it the best, when the ceo found out just (in time) what an asset some staff were he didn't let them go.
So please dont blame Bellsey. Thanks.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Then it means it's just poor decision making. It's like lay off core developers with "it was the luck case" excuse. Yes, it was, but you just fired people who made your product valuableLetterbox wrote:nor believe it or not how good the staff member is.
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Yes it's bad because it does not always take into account ability. Typically senior staff, people who've been there a long time have high salaries, and new staff as they get the current market rates (typically high too, depending on skill set, and global demand). So many managers look to minimize by selecting these people as maybe in their department they only have to let one go, vs otherwise maybe two to meet the budget numbers.iamVFX wrote:Then it means it's just poor decision making. It's like lay off core developer with "it was the luck case" excuse. Yes, it was, but you just fired people who made your product valuableLetterbox wrote:nor believe it or not how good the staff member is.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
if you guys think I'm going to actually list people by name, then think again. There's no way I could do that.iamVFX wrote:Nononono, first things firstSreckoM wrote:@bellsey
So, how many people from 3dsMax or Maya team are out after this?I want to know the list of people who made decision to lay off people like Stephen and Guillame, then questions about AD love for SI
Different locations, divisions, and departments and teams were affected and unless anything specific is made public that's all I am saying.
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
SINGULAR, not pural. Thank you.Bellsey wrote:if you guys thinkiamVFX wrote:Nononono, first things firstSreckoM wrote:@bellsey
So, how many people from 3dsMax or Maya team are out after this?I want to know the list of people who made decision to lay off people like Stephen and Guillame, then questions about AD love for SI
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Yea, it's just me being dumb by asking who make stupid decisions in the company you working for.... Never mind, good luck, Graham 
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
Its not a dumb question, and my comment does answer it, that's the way it works in multinationals, your dealing with 7000 people on different continents, Imagine if you only took 1 hour to get to know people, that's 7000 man hours. You have to delegate.iamVFX wrote:Yea, it's just me being dumb by asking who make stupid decision in the company you working in.... Never mind, good luck, Graham
Further to that if he did answer it, and someone saw it, he get fired on the spot. ie dont clean out your desk, we'll mail it to you. As it would show gross bad judgement on his part, these things are a personal matter, they are not always for public consumption.
I hope that answers most of your questions Constantine. Watch the programs youtube? you'll learn a lot.
Last edited by Letterbox on 01 Sep 2012, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: exit Stephen Blair?
I know it can appear all too simple looking in from the outside, but there are rules that I have to adhere too. If you were in my position you would have to do the same.iamVFX wrote:Yea, it's just me being dumb by asking who make stupid decision in the company you working in.... Never mind, good luck, Graham
Also it's worth mentioning that there are different legal and employment regulations regarding redundancies for different countries, and it's certainly possible that some people are still going through a consultation process. It would be wholly inappropriate and unprofessional for me to breach any confidential agreements and name people.