Free Fur tools

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

FuzzAuthor: Paul Smith
A set of compounds along with a script that automates the setup of this ICE based system for realistic fur. Features automatic flow computation from a starting selection of points, as well as paintable ridges (matting effect) and clumping of the fur.

After the initial application, the fur remains configurable, including curve-based modification of the flow. This plugin is a good example of how to use scripting to deploy ICE based tools for users that don't have a deep knowledge of ICE. On the same topic, have a look at Paul's ongoing scripting tutorial series on his vimeo channel.

Post any renders you create with this plugin in the si-community thread linked below. Also available: An introduction video (archive) (with a tip bucket).

local backup: fuzz.zip (follow the included instructions to install)

New plugins, tools etc.
Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Free Fur tools

Post by Pooby » 26 Nov 2013, 17:17

Last edited by Pooby on 26 Nov 2013, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

angelous4x
Posts: 133
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 04:24
Location: new York

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by angelous4x » 26 Nov 2013, 18:27

awesome. thanks for this share.

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Draise » 26 Nov 2013, 18:41



Is this the one and the same plugin that does the fur from this video? :ympray:

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Superpositivo » 26 Nov 2013, 20:58

But.. is Paul at least human?....

El Burritoh
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 18:56
Location: Tennessee

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by El Burritoh » 27 Nov 2013, 02:35

That's awesome stuff, Paul! How far do you plan to go with it?
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

User avatar
eternal art
Posts: 93
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:48
Location: UAE - Abu Dhabi

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by eternal art » 27 Nov 2013, 07:13

Thanks Pual for sharing this .
3D Supervisor - Production House .

nuverian
Posts: 143
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
Location: Greece

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by nuverian » 27 Nov 2013, 07:39

Thanks a bunch. Look great :-)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Pooby » 27 Nov 2013, 08:31

El Burritoh wrote:That's awesome stuff, Paul! How far do you plan to go with it?
I'm not sure. I'll probably keep tinkering with it. And if anyone has any requests, I like a challenge.
I initially did this mainly just as an exercise to learn how scripting works. The fur part was not initially my main concern. It just so happened that I had the idea of how to do "compression matting" along the way so I got enthused about making a new fur system incorporating that.

User avatar
gaboraa
Posts: 317
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 21:14

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by gaboraa » 27 Nov 2013, 10:01

Awesome Paul!

User avatar
Zybrand
Posts: 42
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 07:04
Skype: Zybrand

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Zybrand » 27 Nov 2013, 11:52

Excellent ^:)^

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by caledonian_tartan » 27 Nov 2013, 14:33

looks amazing!
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

mirkoj
Posts: 205
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
Skype: mirko-jankovic

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by mirkoj » 27 Nov 2013, 18:19

just point where to throw money to keep this updated!
new hair new fur new hair new fur!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by McNistor » 27 Nov 2013, 19:19

Yep, this is da shit! :ymapplause:

BTW Paul, I'm going to use this. I like doing animals so this will come in very useful some time in the future.
Thanks a ton!
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Pooby » 28 Nov 2013, 16:14

mirkoj wrote:just point where to throw money to keep this updated!
new hair new fur new hair new fur!
There is a tip jar on the vimeo page.
Last edited by Pooby on 29 Nov 2013, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by NNois » 29 Nov 2013, 08:49

Hi Paul,
Just curious, from what material do you start with for scripting in Si ?

Thanks
Noël

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Free Fur tools

Post by Pooby » 29 Nov 2013, 11:29

NNois wrote:Hi Paul,
Just curious, from what material do you start with for scripting in Si ?

Thanks
Noël
I really recommend "Technical Direction in XSI with Python Scripting with Raffaele Fragapane". its a very clear and well constructed course
http://tod.cgsociety.org/index.php/courses

I also bought Jeremie Passerins cmfx tutorial, but although I'm sure will be very useful later on, found it slightly too hard for me to start with as a beginner.

I have also started making some free videos that are aimed at complete scripting newbies and may be useful, but I make mistakes as I go in them.

https://vimeo.com/80473183
https://vimeo.com/80543324