and many, many thanks for sharing your work with Kristinka and ICE hair!
Kristinka C
-
wailingmonkey
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 05:49
Re: Kristinka C
sounds like a fantastic and educational idea, Mathaeus!
and many, many thanks for sharing your work with Kristinka and ICE hair!
and many, many thanks for sharing your work with Kristinka and ICE hair!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Well, guys, I have to delay the tutorial for some better times. Summer is gone
, so I really don't know if I'll have time for tutorials soon. Anyway, here is a simple 'Make grass' compound. It might be a bit faster than grass creation with factory compounds, but that's the all. For strands that follow the wind, I think it's a better way to go with procedural animation with 'Turbulize Around Value' factory node, instead of simulation. All you need to do, is to set the turbulence center movement to direction of wind, strands will follow turbulence vector as a some kind of target for direction constraint.
By default, compound will set strand shape to segment, which means Mental Ray hair primitives, that is faster for rendering, also, hair shaders should fit nice. It working in unsimulated ICE tree.
Cheers
link: http://www.matkovic.com/anto/ice-grass.rar

By default, compound will set strand shape to segment, which means Mental Ray hair primitives, that is faster for rendering, also, hair shaders should fit nice. It working in unsimulated ICE tree.
Cheers
link: http://www.matkovic.com/anto/ice-grass.rar

-
ardworx
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:01
- Location: Stuttgart, Germany
-
Dixon3d
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 09:27
Re: Kristinka C
Hi Everyone:
This is a troubleshooting re-post from the Softimage area: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=199
Being super excited about the new hair release I immediately downloaded and installed the compounds and plugins outlined from http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka-hair.html
Unfortunately I'm unable to get the example scenes to work properly and I'm trying to diagnose where the problem is coming from. Win Vista 64, XSI 7.9 64 bit.
On Scene load after installing the plugins I receive the following error messages:
' VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
' <path: C:\Users\Cy\Softimage\XSI_7.0\Addons\mt_ice_staticInstancer\Application\Plugins\mt_ice_staticInstancer.32.dll>
' VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
' <path: C:\Users\Cy\Softimage\XSI_7.0\Addons\mt_strandNodes\Application\Plugins\mt_StrandFitting.32.dll>
After loading any of the models provided all the ice trees are present, however the majority of the nodes contained are red. Functionally the point clouds are generating the hair emition locations but not the strands themselves.
Additionally Some of the models provided function as above, the rest cause XSI to crash completely.
My Guess is something to do with either the xsi addons running in 64 bit (which I've been told shouldn't be an issue as both the 32 bit and 64 bit dlls have been provided. The compounds themselves seemed to work individually when I used them exclusive of the example models.
Has anyone run into a similar problem or have any insight as to what I can do?
Much appreciated,
-Richard
This is a troubleshooting re-post from the Softimage area: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=199
Being super excited about the new hair release I immediately downloaded and installed the compounds and plugins outlined from http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka-hair.html
Unfortunately I'm unable to get the example scenes to work properly and I'm trying to diagnose where the problem is coming from. Win Vista 64, XSI 7.9 64 bit.
On Scene load after installing the plugins I receive the following error messages:
' VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
' <path: C:\Users\Cy\Softimage\XSI_7.0\Addons\mt_ice_staticInstancer\Application\Plugins\mt_ice_staticInstancer.32.dll>
' VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
' <path: C:\Users\Cy\Softimage\XSI_7.0\Addons\mt_strandNodes\Application\Plugins\mt_StrandFitting.32.dll>
After loading any of the models provided all the ice trees are present, however the majority of the nodes contained are red. Functionally the point clouds are generating the hair emition locations but not the strands themselves.
Additionally Some of the models provided function as above, the rest cause XSI to crash completely.
My Guess is something to do with either the xsi addons running in 64 bit (which I've been told shouldn't be an issue as both the 32 bit and 64 bit dlls have been provided. The compounds themselves seemed to work individually when I used them exclusive of the example models.
Has anyone run into a similar problem or have any insight as to what I can do?
Much appreciated,
-Richard
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Well I didn't upgraded my own 7.01, also I don't work with Softimage anymore, so 32bit XSI 7.01 is the only what I have for testing.
Anyway, here is a main simulation example without MT_strands nodes inside. I would be glad if someone is willing to test this one. Without mt_strands_fitting node some nice features will not work, but it's not that much.
link:http://www.matkovic.com/anto/temp/simul ... -no-mt.rar
Anyway, here is a main simulation example without MT_strands nodes inside. I would be glad if someone is willing to test this one. Without mt_strands_fitting node some nice features will not work, but it's not that much.
link:http://www.matkovic.com/anto/temp/simul ... -no-mt.rar
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Kristinka C
@Dixon3d - Trying to recreate your "error messages", I came up with the following:
From which I gather, XSI sends the message about it's inability to load a 32 bit plugin, even if it correctly loads the 64 bit plugin afterwards.
In 7.5 & 7.01 (the only two I can check) the plugin manager does not show any flaming red triangles. Hmm, interesting...
(and frustrating to you, obviously!!!
)
# VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
# <path: C:\Users\HiraziBlue\Autodesk\Softimage_7.5\Addons\mt_ice_staticInstancer\Application\Plugins\mt_ice_staticInstancer.32.dll>
#
# VERBOSE : 5322 - This plug-in has been successfully loaded:
# <name: mt_ice_staticInstancer_Plugin>
# <path: C:\Users\HiraziBlue\Autodesk\Softimage_7.5\Addons\mt_ice_staticInstancer\Application\Plugins\mt_ice_staticInstancer.64.dll>
#
# VERBOSE : 5360 - This plug-in is not compatible with the current platform and will be ignored:
# <path: C:\Users\HiraziBlue\Autodesk\Softimage_7.5\Addons\mt_strandNodes\Application\Plugins\mt_StrandFitting.32.dll>
#
# VERBOSE : 5322 - This plug-in has been successfully loaded:
# <name: mt_StrandFitting Plugin>
# <path: C:\Users\HiraziBlue\Autodesk\Softimage_7.5\Addons\mt_strandNodes\Application\Plugins\mt_StrandFitting.64.dll>
From which I gather, XSI sends the message about it's inability to load a 32 bit plugin, even if it correctly loads the 64 bit plugin afterwards.
In 7.5 & 7.01 (the only two I can check) the plugin manager does not show any flaming red triangles. Hmm, interesting...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Guys,
I've just uploaded a smaller version that doesn't require external addons.
It' now about 12 mb.
Link:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka- ... 9-nomt.rar
Cheers
I've just uploaded a smaller version that doesn't require external addons.
It' now about 12 mb.
Link:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka- ... 9-nomt.rar
Cheers
-
Dixon3d
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 09:27
Re: Kristinka C
Hmm, well now I'm rightly confused. All of the models included in "kristinka-hair-c-29aug09-nomt" from "Basic-Setup" through "Turbulence-Static" still don't generate strands and the ice trees are still red, same with the Simulation-PhilPack-xsibase-08aug09-no-MT.emdl as well.
All the previous hair models from the may release function as expected.
HOWEVER: on a different computer running vista 32 bit with a fresh install of 7.01 32 bit everything works great (compounds and applicable addons pulled directly from this computer).
My guess at this point would be that the kristinka compounds require xsi 7.01 or greater, and that separately there's a problem with the MT_Strands addons potentially with the 64 bit version of 7.0. More checking to do.
Thanks for all the help!
All the previous hair models from the may release function as expected.
HOWEVER: on a different computer running vista 32 bit with a fresh install of 7.01 32 bit everything works great (compounds and applicable addons pulled directly from this computer).
My guess at this point would be that the kristinka compounds require xsi 7.01 or greater, and that separately there's a problem with the MT_Strands addons potentially with the 64 bit version of 7.0. More checking to do.
Thanks for all the help!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Thanks for response,
for now, the only difference I found between my nodes and mt_ice tutorials is that I using point clouds inside the model hierarchy (something that I really wouldn't like to change). This release also has a much more connections between point clouds.
I sow something similar once when I changed model name outside of XSI - and I was been able to fix that by supplying geometries again, even both new and old set data nodes were looking the same.
I did all that stuff with XSI 7.01.
for now, the only difference I found between my nodes and mt_ice tutorials is that I using point clouds inside the model hierarchy (something that I really wouldn't like to change). This release also has a much more connections between point clouds.
I sow something similar once when I changed model name outside of XSI - and I was been able to fix that by supplying geometries again, even both new and old set data nodes were looking the same.
I did all that stuff with XSI 7.01.
-
Dixon3d
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 09:27
Re: Kristinka C
Problem resolved:
Switched from 7.0-64 to 7.01-32 and everything works beautifully, (Including the MT_Strands addons).
That's some pretty amazing stuff you have there! Thanks for allowing access - so much learning to do now!
-edit-
Oh and it appears the ~32.dll / ~64.dll error message was the "other" one being rejected by XSI.
the 64 bit version rejects the 32 and causes the error message, the 32 does the opposite. Other than the 64 bit one crashing on model load (unknown reason), the fact that the 32 bit works perfectly makes me inclined to point a problem at 7.0 64 bit rather than anything else.
Switched from 7.0-64 to 7.01-32 and everything works beautifully, (Including the MT_Strands addons).
That's some pretty amazing stuff you have there! Thanks for allowing access - so much learning to do now!
-edit-
Oh and it appears the ~32.dll / ~64.dll error message was the "other" one being rejected by XSI.
the 64 bit version rejects the 32 and causes the error message, the 32 does the opposite. Other than the 64 bit one crashing on model load (unknown reason), the fact that the 32 bit works perfectly makes me inclined to point a problem at 7.0 64 bit rather than anything else.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Kristinka C
A slight (unpleasant) update: the StrandNodes Addon doesn't seem to work under SI2010 Vista64. Could have something to do with the new C++ rules explained in the "what's new" section of the SDKdocs... However, even the Dynamics stuff from the Kristinka Samples that use "Phil's ICE Pack"-compounds do not seem to work under SI2010 Vista 64, while the samples that came with "Phil's ICE Pack" seem to work just fine... I don't know what to think of this as I was looking forward experimenting with the StrandNodes and especially the Kristinka Hair System... 
Hopefully there's some easy fix, that so far eludes me...
Hopefully there's some easy fix, that so far eludes me...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Actually, the only one simulation sample doesn't use mt_strands addon, it's 'simulation-PhilPack-xsibase-08aug09', just the one in '...no-mt' pack. Only this one should work without mt_strands addon.
Other than that, people reported problems when importing models instead of opening scenes (not only my models), workaround seems to be: first open the scene, then import model, something like that.... here I talking what I heard...
Maybe I'll have a time to check the scenes with 2010 trial - maybe it's better to wait. While ago, XSI 6.0 elegantly destroyed all my rigs, because I used simplified 'remove animation' command in synoptics. I changed the all synoptics, then became XSI 6.01 that allowed previous way...
I'll see when I'll have a time.
Cheers
Other than that, people reported problems when importing models instead of opening scenes (not only my models), workaround seems to be: first open the scene, then import model, something like that.... here I talking what I heard...
Maybe I'll have a time to check the scenes with 2010 trial - maybe it's better to wait. While ago, XSI 6.0 elegantly destroyed all my rigs, because I used simplified 'remove animation' command in synoptics. I changed the all synoptics, then became XSI 6.01 that allowed previous way...
I'll see when I'll have a time.
Cheers
-
scaron
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 03:16
Re: Kristinka C
helge will need to recompile those custom ice nodes for softimage 2010.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Kristinka C
Hi,
From what I know for now, it seems that everything that doesn't include MT_strandsNodes addon, working fine with 2010. Except one model ("turbulence-static"), where I left the one node that calls MT_Strands addon. I uploaded a new "no-mt" version this morning.
So for now, pack that works with Softimage 7.01, 7.5, 2010, without extra addons, is available for download here:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka- ... 9-nomt.rar
Support files for "Follow NURBS" tutorial should working too, with all mentioned versions.
Other than that, some people had a problems with importing models into a new, no-saved scene, but this was solved by opening an existing scene, then importing model. If something so important like ICE nodes, is working properly with one OS, this time Win XP 32, I assume it will with others too. If it doesn't, I really don't feel this as a my problem.
There are two hard coded ICE nodes with MT_strandsNodes addon: mt_HairSolver, used only once in a "big" pack, also mt_StrandFitting node - the last one is used many times. Here, this node allows even distribution of strands segments along strand's length. Generally, strand generators in my nodes don't care about even segment's distribution, strands are just multi-segmented Bezier curves, or sampled UVs of NURBS surfaces.
Without mt_StrandFitting node, you can notice irregular look of curls or turbulences, or anything other that rely on strand lenght. In styling phase, this can be somewhat compensated by modeling. "Pure" simulation with PhilPack nodes will working without any problems, because simulation engine takes care about even segments distribution. Also you can apply mentioned modifiers in post-simulation region, just as I did in samples. But, taking static strands that aren't resampled, into the strand's simulation, generally won't looking nice - that's a reason that two 'blend' simulation samples aren't included.
Cheers
From what I know for now, it seems that everything that doesn't include MT_strandsNodes addon, working fine with 2010. Except one model ("turbulence-static"), where I left the one node that calls MT_Strands addon. I uploaded a new "no-mt" version this morning.
So for now, pack that works with Softimage 7.01, 7.5, 2010, without extra addons, is available for download here:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/kristinka- ... 9-nomt.rar
Support files for "Follow NURBS" tutorial should working too, with all mentioned versions.
Other than that, some people had a problems with importing models into a new, no-saved scene, but this was solved by opening an existing scene, then importing model. If something so important like ICE nodes, is working properly with one OS, this time Win XP 32, I assume it will with others too. If it doesn't, I really don't feel this as a my problem.
There are two hard coded ICE nodes with MT_strandsNodes addon: mt_HairSolver, used only once in a "big" pack, also mt_StrandFitting node - the last one is used many times. Here, this node allows even distribution of strands segments along strand's length. Generally, strand generators in my nodes don't care about even segment's distribution, strands are just multi-segmented Bezier curves, or sampled UVs of NURBS surfaces.
Without mt_StrandFitting node, you can notice irregular look of curls or turbulences, or anything other that rely on strand lenght. In styling phase, this can be somewhat compensated by modeling. "Pure" simulation with PhilPack nodes will working without any problems, because simulation engine takes care about even segments distribution. Also you can apply mentioned modifiers in post-simulation region, just as I did in samples. But, taking static strands that aren't resampled, into the strand's simulation, generally won't looking nice - that's a reason that two 'blend' simulation samples aren't included.
Cheers
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Kristinka C
Thanks again for the effort...
Now someone should maybe try to convince Helge Mathee to update his Addon...
;)
Now someone should maybe try to convince Helge Mathee to update his Addon...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Kristinka C
I dont think any of them exist any more... I was looking for one, but mindthink.de is gone.Hirazi Blue wrote:Thanks again for the effort...
Now someone should maybe try to convince Helge Mathee to update his Addon...;)