New baEssential Shader version
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Cloud Scene [..] you will obviously need the latest version of Holger's BA_essentials shader pack installed. Here is a render of this scene as well. think the fractal speed is too
fast and the lookup table cell size could be lowered to reduce flicker but its just
a simple setup to test the new feature of 'World drag'.
Mentioned render: here.
local backup: simplecloud_enhanced_plus.scn
Mentioned render: here.
local backup: simplecloud_enhanced_plus.scn
author site: https://sites.google.com/site/tekanoice / si-community thread
-
DigiDragon
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 21 Jul 2011, 23:29
New baEssential Shader version
I have released a new version of my essential package.
Changes:
Texture coordinate: world drag
Texture coordinate: arnold Point Reference
Cell: New type "Smooth"
You can view the new cell type and the new World Drag texture space here:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/shd ... snew25.htm
Download:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/index_dev.htm
Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
Changes:
Texture coordinate: world drag
Texture coordinate: arnold Point Reference
Cell: New type "Smooth"
You can view the new cell type and the new World Drag texture space here:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/shd ... snew25.htm
Download:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/index_dev.htm
Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Hi,
Again, thanks for making these shaders! Not just for MR, but for Arnold too
kudos!
rob
Again, thanks for making these shaders! Not just for MR, but for Arnold too
kudos!
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Thank you sir... I'm trying to find the Mray UI addon... Google has been no help.
As for reading the user agreement, I am very great full to you for creating this and sharing.
I understand that a lot of thought goes into not just the programing but the "what should I make and how" category as well. After all that work then you have to decide how to protect your creation.
Having said all that I'd like to say that I don't give a damn about these agreements but it's not that I don't regard you or anyone in your position as the rights holder. I just as rule of thumb ignore the onslaught of the process you are forced to endure to protect your stuff. That is to say that I have protected some of my stuff as well but once that is done I never think of it again...it's just the nonsense we have to put up with due to the small percent of people who don't know how to play nice.
The other side of the coin is the ridiculous like Micro$oft trying to put in that every purchase of Windows is tied to one computer but that is another topic about how a non-regulated EULA means EULA void...
As for reading the user agreement, I am very great full to you for creating this and sharing.
I understand that a lot of thought goes into not just the programing but the "what should I make and how" category as well. After all that work then you have to decide how to protect your creation.
Having said all that I'd like to say that I don't give a damn about these agreements but it's not that I don't regard you or anyone in your position as the rights holder. I just as rule of thumb ignore the onslaught of the process you are forced to endure to protect your stuff. That is to say that I have protected some of my stuff as well but once that is done I never think of it again...it's just the nonsense we have to put up with due to the small percent of people who don't know how to play nice.
The other side of the coin is the ridiculous like Micro$oft trying to put in that every purchase of Windows is tied to one computer but that is another topic about how a non-regulated EULA means EULA void...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: New baEssential Shader version
It's true, we probably all have been using the BAShaders freely (and at least in my case, while sparingly, most satisfactory. Hobbyist > no real impressive pictures to send, and all that), without proper thanks. So: sincerest thanks! (really
)
But being reminded of mister Schoenberger's very understandable post on the Mailing List a while back, complaining about the lack of response, let me just add a gripe of my own: the idea that someone needs (and explicitly states) to store my IP data for a free download is a bit much in my book (but not unacceptable necessarily, as you're at least being asked), the following bothers me even more: It seems a bit of a stretch to claim that only 43 people are using something legally within a postcard-ware license, if the license itself starts with "If if you create some nice renderings with these shaders" (yes, it says "if" twice, but that's besides the point). So yes, "we" have all been negligent, as to the postcard provision, so now we are using the shaders "illegally"? Seems a bit harsh.
So to recap: brilliant shaders! I use them, but hardly make anything worth showing the world (but that's NOT the fault of the shaders). The tone on the website itself could however also be slightly more friendly (as illustrated above), making people more receptive to the "send me a postcard" concept..
PS This might all have sounded a bit harsh: Again, I understand the frustration and I don't want to lessen those frustration with my counter-claims. I do believe however one should be able to address them as well.
;)
But being reminded of mister Schoenberger's very understandable post on the Mailing List a while back, complaining about the lack of response, let me just add a gripe of my own: the idea that someone needs (and explicitly states) to store my IP data for a free download is a bit much in my book (but not unacceptable necessarily, as you're at least being asked), the following bothers me even more: It seems a bit of a stretch to claim that only 43 people are using something legally within a postcard-ware license, if the license itself starts with "If if you create some nice renderings with these shaders" (yes, it says "if" twice, but that's besides the point). So yes, "we" have all been negligent, as to the postcard provision, so now we are using the shaders "illegally"? Seems a bit harsh.
So to recap: brilliant shaders! I use them, but hardly make anything worth showing the world (but that's NOT the fault of the shaders). The tone on the website itself could however also be slightly more friendly (as illustrated above), making people more receptive to the "send me a postcard" concept..
PS This might all have sounded a bit harsh: Again, I understand the frustration and I don't want to lessen those frustration with my counter-claims. I do believe however one should be able to address them as well.
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Thanks Holger! These are fantastic shaders.
For a long time, the site was quite "friendly" but it seems nobody was listening and sending samples. This effects Holgers livelihood. He offers them for free but needs some samples to promote his work as I understand it. The current situation came about from some frustration at his request being ignored I would think. There is a drastic disparity between downloads and samples sent so surely more could be sent. Anyway, hope it all works out because I love the work he does.
PS - the new fluid shader he is working on is truly fantastic. Great stuff!
For a long time, the site was quite "friendly" but it seems nobody was listening and sending samples. This effects Holgers livelihood. He offers them for free but needs some samples to promote his work as I understand it. The current situation came about from some frustration at his request being ignored I would think. There is a drastic disparity between downloads and samples sent so surely more could be sent. Anyway, hope it all works out because I love the work he does.
PS - the new fluid shader he is working on is truly fantastic. Great stuff!
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Well i partly disagree with you Hirazi, i think the word "legally" is a bit of stretch but i think asking for feedback in stronger tones is very understandable and even commendable - it just shows how much he cares about the quality of his shaders.
I stupidly have never used these shaders but i definitely see there usefullness so i shall give 'em a whirl and anything good i produce i shall send you!
I just realize i disagree with Hirazi on another point (
) : i think we hobbyists/amateurs should be more put upon to make and send something nice/usefull as we are not bound by NDA's...
I stupidly have never used these shaders but i definitely see there usefullness so i shall give 'em a whirl and anything good i produce i shall send you!
I just realize i disagree with Hirazi on another point (
-
DigiDragon
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 21 Jul 2011, 23:29
Re: New baEssential Shader version
>I'm trying to find the Mray UI addon... Google has been no help.
Is says you need to install the mentalRay addon for the UI.
The mRay addon download link is 5 lines above.
>the idea that someone needs (and explicitly states) to store my IP data for a free download is a bit much in my book
I had two choices to get feedback who is using my shader.
I asked for years for the postcard to know where it is used.
As I did not got many answers, now I get the location of the download by IP. So I can generate a map where it is used myself.
And I know I have been harsh on the words.
But before I placed this information, I had about 10000+ downloads in 5 years. And about 10 replies.
If you just say please, nobody cares. If you tell them they are using it not legally, they tend to send some replies.
On the fluid shader side it was even more a problem.
During the Alpha stage I explicitely states that everyone that creates something, has to send me something.
So before you download the addon, you had to accept that statement. Same result.
With the fluid it is even more crucial as I really really need those examples.
2 reasons:
a) To see if I can make a commercial package.
A commercial package would e.g. also mean a new volume shader which is better than the current particle volume in Softimage.
They implemented my shader 4 years ago into softimage and a lot changed.
b) To tune shaders, to see issues and create more shader parameters.
E.g. for the new volume shader. If I see what is created and see the issues, that will be prevented in the next version.
So I made the decision that the fluid shader is now available to a closed section with registration only.
If you have any other idea how to get feedback who is using it, tell me.
Is says you need to install the mentalRay addon for the UI.
The mRay addon download link is 5 lines above.
>the idea that someone needs (and explicitly states) to store my IP data for a free download is a bit much in my book
I had two choices to get feedback who is using my shader.
I asked for years for the postcard to know where it is used.
As I did not got many answers, now I get the location of the download by IP. So I can generate a map where it is used myself.
And I know I have been harsh on the words.
But before I placed this information, I had about 10000+ downloads in 5 years. And about 10 replies.
If you just say please, nobody cares. If you tell them they are using it not legally, they tend to send some replies.
On the fluid shader side it was even more a problem.
During the Alpha stage I explicitely states that everyone that creates something, has to send me something.
So before you download the addon, you had to accept that statement. Same result.
With the fluid it is even more crucial as I really really need those examples.
2 reasons:
a) To see if I can make a commercial package.
A commercial package would e.g. also mean a new volume shader which is better than the current particle volume in Softimage.
They implemented my shader 4 years ago into softimage and a lot changed.
b) To tune shaders, to see issues and create more shader parameters.
E.g. for the new volume shader. If I see what is created and see the issues, that will be prevented in the next version.
So I made the decision that the fluid shader is now available to a closed section with registration only.
If you have any other idea how to get feedback who is using it, tell me.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: New baEssential Shader version
I do understand your frustration, but purely from a vaguely legal standpoint, it would seem NOBODY (even first-time users) can use your shaders legally anymore as you seem to imply (or so it would seem) they are only using them legally AFTER they fulfill the postcard provision (for which they must by definition have been using them illegally until then). Your intention (what you rightfully try to achieve) is clear, but I would at the very least consider a rewrite of your license to clarify this a bit better.
edit: but it's probably best if I bow down from this now... ;)
edit: but it's probably best if I bow down from this now... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: New baEssential Shader version
I think the more commercial in nature the postcard is the more benefit Holger will have in demonstrating the use of his shaders. but still, I imagine he perfectly understands that not everyone is working on the latest blockbuster feature film or Hieneken commercial, in this case it is the personal human gesture that matters. reaching out and having a contact with your shaders being used in the wild must get some feeling of worth to Holger when he can appreciate how his tools that he mostly develops for free are being used and appreciated.
here is my postcard that I sent him which is only the first preview render made with the the new feature 'world drag' So its not a great commercial image but to me it would not be possible to even render it without Holger's shaders so I am more than glad to send this postcard to him yesterday.
here is my postcard that I sent him which is only the first preview render made with the the new feature 'world drag' So its not a great commercial image but to me it would not be possible to even render it without Holger's shaders so I am more than glad to send this postcard to him yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Very nice! The cloud base looks more natural than many attempts. Would you mind sharing your setup?
Here's something really basic with the fluid shader. Working on something commercial with it but will take some time
Here's something really basic with the fluid shader. Working on something commercial with it but will take some time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: New baEssential Shader version
+1 on tekano sharing his setup ;)
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: New baEssential Shader version
sure guys - what you want, tutorial or scene files? 2013 only am afraid, will post it later when I get home, it is incredibly simple mind so don't be surprised when you are disappointed 
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Just a scene file would be really nice 
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: New baEssential Shader version
here you go, scene file attached. you will obviously need the latest version of Holger's BA_essentials shader pack installed.
here is a render of this scene as well. think the fractal speed is too fast and the lookup table cell size could be lowered to reduce flicker but its just a simple setup to test the new feature of 'World drag'
enjoy, if you improve this or get FG to work correctly please post results !
here is a render of this scene as well. think the fractal speed is too fast and the lookup table cell size could be lowered to reduce flicker but its just a simple setup to test the new feature of 'World drag'
enjoy, if you improve this or get FG to work correctly please post results !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Arnold supports volume shaders? Is it flicker-free?DigiDragon wrote:Texture coordinate: arnold Point Reference
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: New baEssential Shader version
Thanks! I'm looking to do stills so animation isn't important at the moment. Will take a look and post if I make any progress 