Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
mr 3.8 Options Geoshader This experimental geometry shader enables the hidden mental ray 3.8 progressive rendering
option for Softimage.
Documentation and installation instructions are available in the si-community discussion. A sample scene is provided in this germanmentalray forum discussion
This (archive) shader by ctrl.studio for Max 2011 might or might not work using the sandboxing principle
of Softimage 2011 (mi file interpretation). For help with installing mi files in SI
2011, Hirazi Blue has kindly written an article on
-community. There are currently issues rendering strands with this shader.
Related plugins: ctrl_ghost_settings
local backup: mr3.8Options.zip
Documentation and installation instructions are available in the si-community discussion. A sample scene is provided in this germanmentalray forum discussion
This (archive) shader by ctrl.studio for Max 2011 might or might not work using the sandboxing principle
of Softimage 2011 (mi file interpretation). For help with installing mi files in SI
2011, Hirazi Blue has kindly written an article on
-community. There are currently issues rendering strands with this shader.
Related plugins: ctrl_ghost_settings
local backup: mr3.8Options.zip
-
RoN43
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 17:32
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
I have the same problem that Maximus. it work once and no effect with turn on\off!
-
jb_alvarado
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 18 Apr 2010, 08:07
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Sorry @all, that I never writing here! I have no time for nothing
...
I rewriting the Code, and now you have a bit more Options (Subsampling Size, etc.).
By the IBL Mode I have a little problem... When I type the Mode, for example "approximate", it have no Effect and when I am delete the string, or re- render it works. Also with the mode light.
Pleas read the doku for the Options. An plugin/spdl comes, but I don't no when
.
I rewriting the Code, and now you have a bit more Options (Subsampling Size, etc.).
By the IBL Mode I have a little problem... When I type the Mode, for example "approximate", it have no Effect and when I am delete the string, or re- render it works. Also with the mode light.
Pleas read the doku for the Options. An plugin/spdl comes, but I don't no when
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Thanks a Lot Alvarado!!!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
I haven't tried this yet, but ctrl.studio has made a Softimage-friendly (as in: including "spdl") version of their
ctrl_ghost_settings shader available on CGTalk: go to this post
As it's an attachment, you have to login to CGTalk first to be able to download it...
edit: I just sent ctrl.studio a private message, if they'd allow us to host it here locally... I'll get back to you...

ctrl_ghost_settings shader available on CGTalk: go to this post
As it's an attachment, you have to login to CGTalk first to be able to download it...
edit: I just sent ctrl.studio a private message, if they'd allow us to host it here locally... I'll get back to you...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Okay, I received the necessary permission to host this file locally.
Please note: this is the second version posted by ctrl.studio
FYI - This zip-file includes a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" and a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64". The first one is the 32 bits dll, which you won't need if you're using a 64 bits Softimage. In that case you'll have to rename the file "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64" to "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" for Softimage to be able to work with it...
Please note: this is the second version posted by ctrl.studio
Download it from here: ctrl_ghost_settings_2011bquoted from ctrl.studio @ CGTalk:
sry.. I packaged the wrong dlls.. there's some fg settings overwriting with prev addon. here a new one .. importons and ip are there so you may use them together with fg ..
FYI - This zip-file includes a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" and a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64". The first one is the 32 bits dll, which you won't need if you're using a 64 bits Softimage. In that case you'll have to rename the file "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64" to "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" for Softimage to be able to work with it...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
I definitely have to experiment this! Thanks!Hirazi Blue wrote:Okay, I received the necessary permission to host this file locally.
Please note: this is the second version posted by ctrl.studioDownload it from here: ctrl_ghost_settings_2011bquoted from ctrl.studio @ CGTalk:
sry.. I packaged the wrong dlls.. there's some fg settings overwriting with prev addon. here a new one .. importons and ip are there so you may use them together with fg ..
FYI - This zip-file includes a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" and a file called "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64". The first one is the 32 bits dll, which you won't need if you're using a 64 bits Softimage. In that case you'll have to rename the file "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll.x64" to "ctrl_ghost_settings.dll" for Softimage to be able to work with it...
I've installed ctrl.studio shaders. In your opinion which is better or lets say "with more implementations"? Ctrl.studio or jp_alvarado?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Well, it's hard to say...
The "ctrl.ghost..." obviously has more options, but if you're main interest is the progressive rendering you might as well use the one jb_alvarado wrote. In my opinion jb_alvarado gave up a little too soon. Given time he could've included more options. But that just my opinion (and I can understand the appearance of the "ctrl.ghost..." shader demotivated him somewhat)
Some of the "ctrl.ghost..." settings are superfluous as the options it tries to unhide are unhidden in Softimage to begin with.
The best part however about the "ctrl.ghost..." shader is the included SPDL, which creates a nice Softimage-style PPG for you... This doesn't sound like much, but is actually very nice...
The "ctrl.ghost..." obviously has more options, but if you're main interest is the progressive rendering you might as well use the one jb_alvarado wrote. In my opinion jb_alvarado gave up a little too soon. Given time he could've included more options. But that just my opinion (and I can understand the appearance of the "ctrl.ghost..." shader demotivated him somewhat)
Some of the "ctrl.ghost..." settings are superfluous as the options it tries to unhide are unhidden in Softimage to begin with.
The best part however about the "ctrl.ghost..." shader is the included SPDL, which creates a nice Softimage-style PPG for you... This doesn't sound like much, but is actually very nice...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Thanks for the explanation!Hirazi Blue wrote:Well, it's hard to say...
The "ctrl.ghost..." obviously has more options, but if you're main interest is the progressive rendering you might as well use the one jb_alvarado wrote. In my opinion jb_alvarado gave up a little too soon. Given time he could've included more options. But that just my opinion (and I can understand the appearance of the "ctrl.ghost..." shader demotivated him somewhat)
Some of the "ctrl.ghost..." settings are superfluous as the options it tries to unhide are unhidden in Softimage to begin with.
The best part however about the "ctrl.ghost..." shader is the included SPDL, which creates a nice Softimage-style PPG for you... This doesn't sound like much, but is actually very nice...
Actually I was more interested on using FG with IR or Importons. I have to make some tests to see which are the advantages of this new feature!
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Does anyone had tried to use IBL?
If yes, what is the workflow? Do we still have to use the usual 2 methods of using HDRI/EXR images or is a different workflow?
If yes, what is the workflow? Do we still have to use the usual 2 methods of using HDRI/EXR images or is a different workflow?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Well I am no expert, so I shouldn't even attempt to answer this, but I did a little search around the web only to find there is very little information on the IBL workflow. Maybe it helps a little if you take a look at the settings of the sample-scene jb_alvarado provided earlier in this thread (find it here).
You'd probably have to use "his" geoshader to use this...
You'd probably have to use "his" geoshader to use this...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Thanks Hirazi! I'll give it a look. Do you know what are the advantages over the "regular" methods?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
No, sorry, I cannot help you there...
For all practical purposes the fact that this feature is not really extensively documented
and unsupported by Autodesk would generally make me
prefer the "regular" methods...
But again: I'm no expert... ;)
Maybe someone who knows more about this kind of "stuff" can take it from here?
For all practical purposes the fact that this feature is not really extensively documented
and unsupported by Autodesk would generally make me
prefer the "regular" methods...
But again: I'm no expert... ;)
Maybe someone who knows more about this kind of "stuff" can take it from here?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
-
BenR
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
I'm interested too. I tried IBL with the geoshader. The results were fine but it actually took longer to render than doing IBL using FG with similar quality. I hope there is some technique I was missing or some advantage I'm unaware of.
Ben
Ben
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
as far as i have tested, IBL mode is better than ibl+fg, simply because you dont use FG wich is a big plus.
IBL + proressive rendering is awesome for preview purpose and see how the look will be, also the iBL produces real shadows on objects while the old one didnt.
To use it you just need 1 light in your scene, even if intensity is set at 0, otherwise you render black.
Plug an HDRI into environment, add a photographic exposure if you like and render.
The "enabled" mode is the full IBL method wich goes for best quality and calculation
The "Approximate" mode is for preview purpose, you lose quality but it render faster with better parameters.
Just play with samples and quality, dont expect to be like a bolt in time speed, i've found IBL excellent, i'm using it with progressive render and it rocks, in complex scenes it avoids the use of crap FG wich i hate.
IBL + proressive rendering is awesome for preview purpose and see how the look will be, also the iBL produces real shadows on objects while the old one didnt.
To use it you just need 1 light in your scene, even if intensity is set at 0, otherwise you render black.
Plug an HDRI into environment, add a photographic exposure if you like and render.
The "enabled" mode is the full IBL method wich goes for best quality and calculation
The "Approximate" mode is for preview purpose, you lose quality but it render faster with better parameters.
Just play with samples and quality, dont expect to be like a bolt in time speed, i've found IBL excellent, i'm using it with progressive render and it rocks, in complex scenes it avoids the use of crap FG wich i hate.
-
pBarrelas
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 May 2010, 11:47
- Location: Portugal
Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8
Hey Maximus, thanks for your input!
Would you like to post some images to illustrate what you just stated? I'm asking you this because I'm really having crappy results with it on some tests I've made!
Would you like to post some images to illustrate what you just stated? I'm asking you this because I'm really having crappy results with it on some tests I've made!