I will update this post to show the latest progress.
The Project:
After many years of creative water treading and about 2 years of learning 3d animation I’m taking the plunge and committing the next year or more to making an animation. It’s pretty much a lifelong ambition to make either a comic book or an animation in a cool scifi style – this in a way satisfies both.
The spark was lit for me after I saw Damian Nenow’s impressive animation Paths of Hate – a stylized 3d animation that to me was more than just emulating traditional cell-shaded animation, it was a comic book come to life! That to me was seeing the light! I could combine both of my passions in one!
Shortly after that Rodney Sellars suggested I could make an animation to one of the songs of the concept album he’s working on called Icons of Andria. It had a very cool scifi story that instantly appealed to me and I jumped at the chance!
And so the stars aligned and the world trembled in anticipation!
In other words: and so a weird guy got a fire lit in his head that would keep him busy and out of people’s hair for a while ;)
The Plan:
Fase 1: Look Development
Model, texture and shade the two main characters and build a first basic set. Experiment with shading and composition to get a look as close as possible to the art that I love: that of the great Juan Gimenez and Giruad/Moebius (rip) and that of Rodney Sellars – whose images are the basis of this project and who is also the Music Man
End result: A short “teaser” animation showcasing the stylized look and the two main characters interacting.
Fase 2: Storyboard
Pick a song from the concept album to use for the video. Draw up a rough storyboard outlining the storybeats, show it to some creative allies and tweak it till it’s satisfactory.
End result: A storyboard that is semi-final.
Fase 3: Animatic
Make a timed out animatic in Flash that lays out all the shots, animations, camera angles etc.
End result: A final animatic storyboard that will serve as the definitive guide for the animation
Fase 4: Start production
I’m still a bit fuzzy on this one; it still seems such a faraway mountain! I suppose I just start making the shots one by one…
End result: A new plan for making the shots one by one and putting it all together!

