Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Blob StrokesAuthor: Anto Matkovic Here's a small ICE compound used to generate these 'blob-strokes'. I had something
like this before, but I really wasn't so excited by the speed of generation. Now with
3delight, it's definitely feasible, updates are performed immediately. The compound
creates particles on curve list, evenly distributed, count is relative to particular
sub-curve length (still, you'll need to take care of curve re-parametrization). It's
also able to perform 'write on' on one-after-another subcurve (by sub-curve, or normalized
by sub-curve length). In short, you can 'draw' 3d strokes with it, by animating the
slider value. There are a few additional parameters. [..] contd. under si-community link
local backup: Emit Blobs From CurveList.xsicompound
3DelightAuthor: dna research v4.0.41 updated Feb 21st 2015.
3Delight is a fast, high quality, RenderMan®-compliant renderer designed to produce
photo-realistic images in demanding production environments. The renderer was introduced
to the public in the year 2000 after being used for more than a year as the sole renderer
in a sister production company. It is now widely used and earning a reputation as
a benchmark in rendering technology. [..] (cont'd on product page)
DNA research recently released the 4.0.41 upgrade and extended the free license to
support up to
8-core CPUs. Highlights from the
changelog (archive):
Volumetric Smoke and Shards
Any shader as light source projection
Exposure, Gamma Controls
Mesh Light support
ESC to stop render. Last year's big 4.0 update introduced features such as:
support for deep EXR files
Native MARI textures support
Improved sampling of environment maps
Added the physically plausible 3Delight Material
"Continuous rendering" is now enabled by default
Up to x2 acceleration in hair/fur rendering
Memory usage is down 30% when using the path tracer
Skin shader for 3Delight for Softimage
Motion Map property is now supported
A list of movie projects rendered with the 3Delight renderer. As mentioned the product is free of charge for
the first 8-core license. Additional quad-core licenses are available for 400$ each
and unlimited multi-core licenses for 900$ each. Yearly support and updates 190$/290$
resp.
Comments on work in progress
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 03 Apr 2011, 21:19
Hi,
That's a some kind of ICE photon mapping. For picture on top, I've added ICE point cloud for additional bounces. Finally it's rendered together with only one classic light + point-based color bleeding. It's very basic for now, but it doesn't requires almost any additional scene preparation (baking to maps, so on). Whole rendering process takes about 7-10 minutes on 2 core 3delight, on 1365x768. ICE part is just non-simulated, immediate ray-casting, no any dart-throw sorting or other advanced stuff. Particles are aligned to surface normal and default, one-side color bleeding is used, so algorithm catches only a 'far-away' ones.

-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 04 Apr 2011, 18:10
... and that's how it's look like when "sortbleeding" is enabled - much better shadows.. Now it's about 14 min on 2core, for 1365x768. Taking in account, all trash of particles I've supplied as 'photons', it's really amazing how 3dl handles with this.
I'll definitively work more on these 'ICE photons'.

-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Post
by rray » 04 Apr 2011, 20:37
Wow good, wouldn't have thought that ICE and 3dl could work together so tightly.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 01 May 2011, 00:58
Yet another WIP, now with almost all knobs on. Subsurface scattering, hair, DOF, particles, a lot of geometry. Character (including hair) is rendered in one go, I think it's first time I was been able to use the same lighting setup for everything. Rendertimes for 1536*2048 with 2 core 3delight and a weak machine: about 40 minutes for character (a lot of this goes to raytraced AO), 7 mins for dust/particles, 6 mins for ground.
Of course that's just wip, there's a tons changes to do.
Take a look at
1152*2048

-
ace63
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30
Post
by ace63 » 01 May 2011, 13:25
Holy sh*t
Nice rendertimes for that resolution with a weak machine and only 2 cores!
And quite a nice look aswell

-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 01 May 2011, 16:33
Thank You.... all
A few variations here. My choice is 'half-profile', no need for de-symmetry work on face

Back on the topic, lighting is a light rig with about 30 lights with DSM, plus raytraced AO on some places. I've used Fabricio Chamon's
ambient lights script for taking the lights from HDR image. It's really easy to adapt this script...
big one

-
ShaderOp
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 18:15
- Skype: shaderop
Post
by ShaderOp » 02 May 2011, 06:55
That's just fraking awesome!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 02 May 2011, 08:32
Impressive as always! I agree the half-profile looks better and not just because of the symmetry but looks like a slightly less forced pose. I like the suit very much also...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 03 May 2011, 09:00
Agree, impressive, and like really mush the '50 scifi style you use.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Post
by Rez007 » 03 May 2011, 14:44
Great job as usual! I really like the overall design of the character, especially the suit. Very nice renders!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 14 May 2011, 23:10
Thank You guys!
so that's a final image. I've added a bit of EmFluid. As I heard from experienced people in this field, there should be a city in the background, or some smoke instead

. Particles were rendered as 'lightweight' point particles, as 3delight automatically uses this mode with point particle shape.
Cheers
huge picture...

-
shadow_ex_
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 13:18
Post
by shadow_ex_ » 15 May 2011, 06:12
great character^^
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 16 May 2011, 18:01
That's looking great!
I'm still sitting here with no 3Delight. I keep getting the error 5050 licence error and can't figure it out. I've posted many times on their forum but they seem to have no intention of helping which doesn't bode well if I purchased a license and then needed support.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 16 May 2011, 18:44
Thank You!
Well I'm probably the last person on this planet with some usable knowledge about networks and services, but anyway: that I know, exactly the same message can appear if a free version of standalone 3delight is running in the same time with free plugin for SI (which seems to be logical, otherwise four cores would be allowed).
But I think you don't have a standalone 3delight installed. So my very wild guessing, is that SI plugin recognizes *something* as 'another copy of itself'. Now, what this is... I don't know.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 16 May 2011, 19:27
@ActionArt - Could it be there is still a rogue "license.dat" or "rendermn.ini" on your computer from an earlier install?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 16 May 2011, 19:34
Like you say, I think it must think that something else is 3Delight or there is a stray file from a previous version but I don't know what or where it is. I've tried everything I can think of.
I have SI 2011 and 2012 installed but 2011 doesn't have 3Delight installed and I've searched the whole system for any files that might be related. This is the only computer in the shop with SI on it. I also tried putting it on 2011 but got the same thing.
@Harazi - There doesn't seem to be unless it's hiding really well.