CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by benoit81 » 25 Oct 2011, 20:22

Well, I report an issue* with cap tools introduced with Softimage 2012 SAP :
I try it with a torus (see the video). It is very slow : the first cap is done in less than 1 minute, and the second one more than 10 minutes (on a core i7).
I believe that sculpt3D on Amiga was faster :x

Well this is not so important (has I already use a script for that), but Cap Tools introduced with SAP is not very usefull...
http://vimeo.com/31106717 (I do not record the 10 minutes, but believe me at the end it's working !!!!)

Regards !

*I do not report this on my "gold" souscription as I already know the answer... "You do not know how to use Softimage, you should apply a freeze, etc..."

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Oct 2011, 20:32

Sadly, I can't yet view your video evidence, as Vimeo tells me it's still "Waiting in line",
but the incredible slowness of the Cap Hole tool has been reported before
(for instance in this thread over at the XSIBase)

And I would still log a report at the subscription center, in case nobody else has bothered to do so yet...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by luceric » 25 Oct 2011, 20:47

do this test: rename your user folder so that they will be no other plug-in or workgroup, and apply the cap tool.
there will be a delay to apply it the first time, on the order of perhaps 2 seconds while the Preset Manager updates itselfs. but no more.

btw I doubt support has ever told anyone you don't know how to use softimage.

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by benoit81 » 26 Oct 2011, 19:17

luceric wrote:do this test: rename your user folder so that they will be no other plug-in or workgroup, and apply the cap tool.
there will be a delay to apply it the first time, on the order of perhaps 2 seconds while the Preset Manager updates itselfs. but no more.
I suppose it is very common for people at autodesk to rename folders before applying the cap tools ;;)
It's not exactly a way I was expecting Cap Tools to work.
Softimage 2012 SAP seems to show something very clear : SDK is very efficient to create basic user tools for quick modeling (new curvature tools vs captools/thickness), while ICE is nice to produce more complicate effects (i.e. building a procedural city).
luceric wrote:btw I doubt support has ever told anyone you don't know how to use softimage.
Please have a look at the answers about boolean issues and rendermap issues. I've been told that my mesh was not good enough to perform boolean (I was also trying to use boolean operation to add an object to another one without creating a new entity, so the 2 meshes were not intersecting), about rendermap : it was very unstable, not working on every scene... Hopefully, rendermap work much better since 2010 (I dont know why ?). My own humble opinion is that support team is a "filter" to customer feedback. The obvious direction of Softimage is to develop ICE, so other request, improvements, bug reports seems to have a low priority.
When I look at Softimage, I do not see only ICE. I'm very proud of using a clear modern explorer, the M key, the shared PPG, the middle mouse button (yes !), the fast envelope method, transforming several object at the same time (moving points of multiple objects)... When I open my 3dsmax copy, even if the modeling tools are more complete, I do not want to go back to it #:-s

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by luceric » 26 Oct 2011, 21:29

benoit81 wrote:
luceric wrote:do this test: rename your user folder so that they will be no other plug-in or workgroup, and apply the cap tool.
there will be a delay to apply it the first time, on the order of perhaps 2 seconds while the Preset Manager updates itselfs. but no more.
I suppose it is very common for people at autodesk to rename folders before applying the cap tools ;;)
It's not exactly a way I was expecting Cap Tools to work.
What the hell are you talking about? These are steps to debug where the problem is coming from. Did you try the steps? Don't reply if you didn't. No one in the world is waiting 10 minutes to apply the cap tool.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Oct 2011, 09:38

As a moderator/administrator I think it's time to gently suggest the both of you to tone it down a notch, before this turns ugly. There is definitively some miscommunication going on here, that could probably be easily resolved, IMHO, but not by increasing the volume/loudness of the conversation, so to speak...
:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by benoit81 » 27 Oct 2011, 11:50

Hirazi Blue wrote:As a moderator/administrator I think it's time to gently suggest the both of you to tone it down a notch, before this turns ugly. There is definitively some miscommunication going on here, that could probably be easily resolved, IMHO, but not by increasing the volume/loudness of the conversation, so to speak...
:D
good idea
luceric wrote:
do this test: rename your user folder so that they will be no other plug-in or workgroup, and apply the cap tool.
there will be a delay to apply it the first time, on the order of perhaps 2 seconds while the Preset Manager updates itselfs. but no more.
After renaming, you are right it is much faster for the second cap (about 10-12 seconds vs about 8 minutes).
What should I do ?

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by luceric » 27 Oct 2011, 16:31

alright well at this point, I would suspect a workgroup is affecting the performance. The compound manager does scan sub-folder to search for the compound name. if it's really 10 min, it's a pretty big disaster; with these kinds of delays, I would normally suspect a network drive timing out. Is it possible you have a workgroup connected to a dead network drive? You kind of have to investigate on your end. It's something I/O related. Worse case, you can install Process Monitor to check where the software is looking for stuff

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: CAP TOOLS SOFTIMAGE SAP

Post by iamVFX » 29 Oct 2011, 19:43

Image

50 seconds. 80 000 polys only. Ray's RCTools do it for half a second (just for contrast :D )