How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by caledonian_tartan » 27 Jun 2013, 07:15

Does this happen even with an empty scene
yes

And when's the lag happen? Opening the search panel, or after you type something in the search box.
when typing in the search box

And 2014 still works perfectly fine?
no. it's the same.



any chance to debug this?
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

eben
Posts: 31
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 08:55
Location: France

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by eben » 27 Jun 2013, 08:19

i've got the same problem with 2014 SP1.
For me, the lag appear when i type the second letter of the word.
when i re-type the word just after the first research, there's no lag.
I thought it was because there's many extra factory compounds...( all my compound are in a workgroup BTW)

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by caledonian_tartan » 27 Jun 2013, 10:07

yes. it's happening when typing the second character.

also, sometimes not all compounds are in the list. mostly factory nodes saved as .preset, like "select case" or "raycast"
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by luceric » 27 Jun 2013, 12:31

last time i heard of something like this, there was a very old addon, some shader toolbar from xsibase, which was corrupted. it corrupted the xml parser'memory in xsi. after that, there would be a random crash or hang later when the xml parser was used by something else, like the preset manager in the ice tree.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by xsisupport » 27 Jun 2013, 13:49

I see a one-second "lag" between the first and second characters that I type into the ICE preset manager search box. That's because XSI.exe is scanning all the xsicompound and dspresets. One time I saw a significant lag, but it turns out that an AutoSave happened at exactly the same time.

Try running Process Monitor when you open the ICE preset manager and do a search. Then check out the log and see if there's anything interesting going on. You can at least see the elapsed time spent scanning compounds and presets. It could be time spent scanning your workgroups.

If the lag happens every time, then I wonder if it's a problem on your system (slow file access?).
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Jun 2013, 14:01

I've got a lot of problems. Crashes for no reasons, explorer not refreshing after crating clusters, Clip node shows preview from another file.... It feels the already fragile internal data structure becomes more corrupt with every release. Someone needs to clean up....
I'm now part of an endangered species...

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by adrencg » 27 Jun 2013, 14:36

Ahmidou wrote:Did you reported it or sent the CER? This would help.
Most of the time I don't get a report box. If I did report it, I wouldn't be able to specify a series of events to duplicate it, because it's always something random. Although I have noticed many of my crashes have come from weight map painting. I'm experimenting with ICE Syflex driven hair, and usually a crash will happen when I start to paint a map value -- first stroke. I have a habit now of saving before I start weight map painting. I'm having that bad experience of being very tense and anticipating a crash while I'm working. I didn't have that feeling with 2013 sp1. It worked for weeks at a time without a single crash, and 2014 crashes so many times in a day it feels like 2010 again.

Another unrelated weird thing in regard to weight maps and ICE Syflex...when using an "active area" map, disconnecting the map will not really disconnect it. I have to destroy the ICE tree and rebuild it. Or copy/cut it, then destroy and re-paste into a new ICE tree to clear the "active area" map.

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by caledonian_tartan » 03 Jul 2013, 14:10

Try running Process Monitor
process monitor logs 3 things for every compound.

CreateFile
QueryBasicInformationFile
CloseFile

this takes like ... forever... (~30s)

if this is a normal behaviour i need to investigate into the few operations with a result "name not found"
like: C:\Users\3d1-7p64\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP1\aaOcean
how come it searches there? this path makes no sense... (no addon or plugin directory. and it's the user folder not the workgroup where i have aaOcean)

there are many others like this:
C:\Users\3d1-7p64\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP1\[plugin/compound name]

i definitely shouldn't search for this!


or a "not found" error like this: KLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes\Segoe UI
i cannot classify that...



EDIT: just noticed that i get about 280000 not found errors at SI startup... :-??
mostly
HKCU\Software\Classes\shaderlocation
HKCR\shaderlocation
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by xsisupport » 03 Jul 2013, 14:38

Yeah, that's normal operation.

Are you looking at a log for just what happens when you do a search (eg enable logging, switch back to Softimage and do the search, switch back to Process Monitor and stop logging) ?

A few "Name not found" isn't enough to slow things down.

File searches go through a standard set of paths (eg user,workgroup,factory) so it is not unusual to see xsi.exe looking in the wrong places, because it is working its way through the path list.
But for a compound/preset search, xsi.exe should be going through a specific set of folders.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by caledonian_tartan » 03 Jul 2013, 15:15

Are you looking at a log for just what happens when you do a search
yes. i can't find anything really unusual or time consuming.

in case you want to have a look. here is the log. (765MB)
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by caledonian_tartan » 03 Jul 2013, 15:33

I wonder if it's a problem on your system (slow file access?).
i noticed that my workgroup was defined using a network path (\\3d1-7p64\Workgroup) instead of a absolute path like E:Workgroup

:ymblushing: it's much faster now
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

eben
Posts: 31
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 08:55
Location: France

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by eben » 04 Jul 2013, 11:24

caledonian_tartan wrote:
I wonder if it's a problem on your system (slow file access?).
i noticed that my workgroup was defined using a network path (\\3d1-7p64\Workgroup) instead of a absolute path like E:Workgroup

:ymblushing: it's much faster now
nice find! :)
works for me.

thanks !

chrischia
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:21

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by chrischia » 05 Jul 2013, 05:50

adrencg wrote:
Ahmidou wrote:Did you reported it or sent the CER? This would help.
Another unrelated weird thing in regard to weight maps and ICE Syflex...when using an "active area" map, disconnecting the map will not really disconnect it. I have to destroy the ICE tree and rebuild it. Or copy/cut it, then destroy and re-paste into a new ICE tree to clear the "active area" map.
Ice syflex has some internal caching mechanism. What you spotted is not a bug. And the only workaround so far is to copy the ice tree and paste it in the new cloth

chrischia
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:21

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by chrischia » 05 Jul 2013, 05:53

adrencg wrote:A lot of crashing with weight map painting is what I'm noticing.
Hi,
There's a fatal crash when you have painted the weightmap on the syflex cloth and changing the sub division after that.
The syflex Dev is already aware of this and is working on it.

Regards,
Chris

chrischia
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:21

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by chrischia » 05 Jul 2013, 05:57

adrencg wrote:Objects were not saved normally.

What is that? I've been seeing it for years. I have to start deleting objects until I find the one that's causing that message. Sometimes its an object I need.

Also, when this starts happening, why does it make all of the backup scenes crash XSI upon trying to open them? Hope this helps figure out some things to make XSI more stable.
Adrencg,
What we have spotted so far for Syflex crashes:
1. Changing subdivision after a weightmap is painted to drive the Syflex cloth.
2. syflexIsSpring node

Do let me know what other crash repros you have found so far.

Just bear with it that the new syflex requires some bug fixing.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Rork » 05 Jul 2013, 08:23

Hi Chris,

Good to see you on the forum!

Rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!