Buy Softimage!

News concerning 3D DCC business
jill.ramsay

Re: Buy Softimage!

Post by jill.ramsay » 04 Dec 2014, 23:07

LOL, that's very nice of you, but to be fair to Autodesk I only ever agreed to come back for a year. You lot are too much like hard work. ;)

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 05 Dec 2014, 19:55

jill.ramsay wrote:Hi there,
So I just got confirmation that what I said is the case. You'll be able to crossgrade current versions after Feb 1, 2015. So in order to crossgrade your current bundle to a suite if you are not on subs, you should do so while 2015 is the current release. I can't give you any dates of when (or even if!) the next releases will be coming out, but you would normally expect to get a pre-warning when a release is announced prior to shipping. Your other option should you miss the cut-off, would be to late-attach subscription (with 365 days of when you purchased).

Hope this helps,
Jill

PS, thanks everyone for the kind words!

jill.ramsay wrote:Hi there,
Going from one product to another of the same version is not considered an upgrade, it's considered a crossgrade, so I don't think it would be affected. You would need to be on the same version, though: 2015 to 2015, or 2016 to 2016. I will double-check for you on the particular scenario that you mention, though.

Thanks,
Jill
Rez007 wrote:
I have one more additional question if you can answer this for me as well. For the upgrades that are ending Feb. 1 of 2015 (couple of months away) is this for only upgrades of the same software, i.e. upgrading from Softimage 2012 to Softimage 2015, in order for people to get current, or is this for all software upgrade routes that Autodesk offers? Example of the latter would be...I am currently on the Maya/Softimage Bundle and I may be interested in upgrading to the Ultimate Suite in order to grab Max for future client work. Would an upgrade from my current Maya/Softimage Bundle to the Ultimate Suite need to take place before Feb. 1 2015 as well?

Thank You in Advance.
Hi Jill,

Thank you for the confirmation on that, much appreciated. Now I know I have more time if I decide to cross-grade to the Ultimate Suite. Thanks Again!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 06 Dec 2014, 20:11

This might be slightly OT, but I had a thought the other day that pertains to something similar to what is going on now with Softimage and the EOL of Softimage. Instead of EOL'ing Softimage from the get-go wouldn't it have been better if it was offered 'Free' as it is being done now, to maybe Subscription customers?

Here is a better breakdown of what I was thinking. Since Autodesk was marketing Softimage as a "companion" to Maya or Max, and there was really no way of getting them to change that, then maybe selling it like that could have saved it. My Idea: If anyone who purchased Maya or Max with a 1 year of Subscription, would get Softimage for free. Then, Autodesk could slightly raise the cost of Subscription to maybe 75-100 more per year and that difference could have funded a core team of Softimage developers. Anyone who currently was already on Subs would take the small yearly increase in fees and then they would get Softimage for free. This would allow people to get the benefits of Softimage while still using their program of choice.

Hopefully I explained that okay, as I thought that would have been a better alternative than just ending Softimage all together. I bet there would be a lot of people who would pay the small addition in Subs to get Softimage. Instead of punishing people into Subs (like is happening now) you reward them, like originally was supposed to happen. Then Autodesk could market it and sell it and keep it going, while being open to everyone in what they expect on getting. I think us Softimage users would have moved over to Maya or Max a long time ago if we thought it was better instead of being 'forced' to now, or use an alternative. I would think with the massive user base that is Max and Maya, a slight increase in a yearly fee could possibly support the developement of Softimage, while also getting more people to goto and stay on Subs...just an idea.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Dec 2014, 14:09

It’s an interesting scenario and it might indeed have worked. The one thing, however, that became painfully clear at the moment of the “retirement” of Softimage, was that Autodesk wasn’t starved for solutions to prolong Softimage’s life, they simply and plainly wanted to kill it. Be done with it. Had they truly wanted to keep it around, they surely would have found a way...
=((
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 07 Dec 2014, 19:18

Hirazi Blue wrote:It’s an interesting scenario and it might indeed have worked. The one thing, however, that became painfully clear at the moment of the “retirement” of Softimage, was that Autodesk wasn’t starved for solutions to prolong Softimage’s life, they simply and plainly wanted to kill it. Be done with it. Had they truly wanted to keep it around, they surely would have found a way...
=((
You are most likely right, but somehow I think the people who made the decision thought that the backlash wasn't going to be that bad, and that somehow people would embrace their solution. They could have gained major credit among their user base by doing a move I mentioned, instead I think they received the opposite. It just seems like now they are giving it away to anyone who buys Maya or Max, and they are only a very small step away from what I came up with, which I think could have been beneficial to everyone involved. I don't really think it is too late to change course though, and it would help them against the Blender and Houdini movements.

jamination

Post by jamination » 07 Dec 2014, 21:33

I don't think the backlash was near enough, and nowhere near a level where Autodesk gave a sh**.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2015, 16:01

I'm struggling to find the link to buy this bundle. Is this deal still up?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jun 2015, 16:11

From earlier in this thread:
jill.ramsay wrote: If you wish to purchase new or additional seats of Softimage 2015 you can do so by purchasing either the Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These offerings are available via your local reseller and cannot be purchased through the Autodesk e-store. Each transition offering, Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage, can be purchased for the same price as a standalone license of Maya or 3ds Max.
You'd have to contact a reseller for more details...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2015, 17:28

Are there resellers online that have an online store front? Or do I have to stick to "countries" and their resellers because the apparent one where I'm in ... doesn't.. even know what Softimage is.

Are these guys resellers? I can't really find them on the Autodesk reseller locator.

Which Reseller has an online storefront to purchase digitally and download digitally?

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 Jun 2015, 17:37

afaik, those permanent license are region-specific so you cannot buy it from the US or anywhere other than a reseller in your region. look for a Film and Television reseller, or search by Maya.

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2015, 17:59

I found they sell the creative ultimate suite here, that has Softimage in it apparently. Double price with all these extra packages.. hmm.. I'll have to re-do the budget. Thanks guys.

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 Jun 2015, 18:17

I think they should sell all autodesk product, but the softimage transition bundle wouldn't typically be publicly listed on the websites

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Jun 2015, 18:27

Well that's encouraging. I'll drop by their offices later on.