luceric

Re: Raytraced based viewports coming?

Post by luceric » 30 Apr 2019, 03:54

It's the same thing Arnold demoed

Rork

Post by Rork » 30 Apr 2019, 10:31

Yes, but this isn't in a beta product ;P
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

NNois

Post by NNois » 30 Apr 2019, 19:01

Bullit wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 17:52...
No, it's not "coming" !
You should get your hands on Clarisse, The Raytraced Viewport is here from the very first version ! and that's what makes clarisse so good ;-)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Apr 2019, 20:22

Thanks Luc.

So what are they promoting now NNois?

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 May 2019, 03:08

he doesn't know what he's talking about. these announcements are about GPU accelerated NVIDIA RTX ray tracing in the viewport, not having a quick software render preview.

rray

Post by rray » 01 May 2019, 11:27

Please stay kind. Besides NNois is right, Clarisse did have raytraced viewports from the start, just not the GPU accelerated kind.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 May 2019, 15:18

Isn't that like saying Softimage had it since you can open a render region in the viewport?
What's the meaning of viewport anymore. You can select objects in it?

rray

Post by rray » 01 May 2019, 17:06

I believe you can

This thread needs a feature comparison matrix to avoid further confusion about GPU rendered/DX/GL accelerated/NVidia/CUDA/Vulcan accelerated/RTX enabled/Optix enabled/interactive/partly interactive/fully interactive/with/without render region and so on.

I'll make one if I find some time. It could then be corrected in a collaborative manner.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 May 2019, 23:13

Those options are crazy! So many killer combos. Clarisse has always perked my interest with the responsiveness to handle and render huge datasets. Very cool.

The idea of near responsive updates of raytraced path refinement in a viewport, even Blender 2.8 can do that with Cycles, so not sure where this may head. Unreal Engine also now has raytracing with RTX in it's viewport also. Minecraft has Sildurs shaders that run raytracing on any graphics card (no RTX) running at 30fps, no noise (or little). It is a good tendency to make things faster, iterate quicker, be closer to final and the idea of waiting for a raytraced biased or unbiased engine for a frame or to work only with raster is only merging to the one and same workflow - one day hopefully the two converge and whatever you create, animate and imagine will look like it is - akin to claymation or analogue art, just in a computer with no gravity, physics, unlimited materials and dexterity issues.

With that said, to clarify: I think "realtime viewport" is just... 24-60FPS manipulation and feedback in WYSIWYG lookdev viewport. And this is the confusion, because now we want realtime raytraced WYSIWYG editors - but having raytraced previews in any viewport is indeed existent (not realtime) nearly everywhere for eons already. Anything that has to iterate the preview of the rendering (eg, takes a few seconds or more to refine a near final frame/manipulation change) is not realtime. But I certainly hope realtime raytrace viewports comes to the general massess - without noise.