Best Blender 2.8 build?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luchifer

Re: Best Blender 2.8 build?

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 21:02

Bullit wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 19:40 How using keyboard is faster than using a gizmo that allows to move in XY ZX YZ ? if i want to move an object i always have to move the arm and hand that have the pen so better to do it all there (i don't use a mouse)

Nevertheless good point about Eevee.
Im guessing you still have the option to see the gizmo in the preferences but I dont know how to enable it, also if you click on the icons in the tool bar (T) the gizmos will appear. I dont use them though. I dont use a mouse either, thats why I find G + middle mouse so handy. Alternatively, you can middle click drag to rotate the view and constrain it to a side view using ALT (like Zbrush), and then use G and It will move in XY ZX or YZ with only the thumb finger for ALT and and index finger for G leaving you the right hand for the pen.

Theres a lot of ways and the shortcuts are customizable. Also there are some handy addons that enhance / change how navigation / manipulation behave.

About industry standard, just remember we XSI users also dont use industry standard either since we orbit camera with S, or select edges, points, faces with E, Y, T ?

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 21:06

You can also press N, and in location, lock the axis you dont want to move. Sorry for not directly answer your question, but I truly dont know where in preferences you can enable gizmos. I'll look into it.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Apr 2019, 21:37

luchifer wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 18:30
To move in XY or XZ just press 1, 3, 7, 9 (front view, side view, etc) and press G to move. Or you can in perspective view press G and then Shift Z, Y or Z to substract that axis. ( G + shift Z equals XY ). In no time you will find industry standard gizmos useless or annoying.
Such adaptation never ever worked for me, it took years to take the really small differences between Max and XSI long time ago, actually I changed a lot of XSI defaults to be in Max style, and that combo became permanent. But it's not only personally - transform gizmos are widely accepted feature for almost two decades, introduced by early Mayas. You never know for what purpose they are used, let's say just for examining the local orientation of anything in hierarchy. For me, this seems to be a yet another desperate trial to get something useful over old configuration from 90s, which one they are unable to change, most likely. Mr Barton is full of ''wonderful'' ideas in last months, btw....

Anyway as I said, let's wait for 2.8 release and create something useful on top of that. By all these changes in beta available for anyone, I think they successfully killed all habits, all traditional options, all defaults. Now, everything and nothing has the same chances.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 21:49

Transform gizmos are in blender if you use them from Tools menu or shift + spacebar, but they dissapear when you select another tool. If most of the time you aren't constraining to XY ZX then you can activate them and use it and then forget about them. And they can work exactly like Zbrush, wich didn't had a transform gizmo until 4r8 I believe.

Blender as of now is perfectly usable. They have not been many changes on beta, and is truly stable, I already had done some cool work with 2.8, last one being Notre Dame fire, rendered with EEVEE.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Apr 2019, 22:32

In last download of 2.8, open subd playback is still nowhere close to 2.79, it's around 5 times slower. Most likely, they didn't enabled OpenSubd completely, yet. That's basic feature...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Apr 2019, 23:01

...and... object/deformation motion blur is not enabled in EEVEE, yet. You won't be able to render the falling tower, realistically, at least not in one go.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 23 Apr 2019, 00:52

I did some animations with camera motion blur, had to look for it on my files. My top annoying feature is, I still see the old layer system on some menus.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Apr 2019, 18:44

luchifer i would not get another view to just move an object in a certain plane, we are in 2020 not in 2000.

I'll use for now the Industry Compatible, since blender default have a crazy key combination to do that . W E R are move, rotate, scale in Industry compatible and i can move in a plane. The move icon and scale icon have that options.

I usually don't like to change any application keys to my taste because i'll often work with other persons.

P.S: your fire looks very good.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 23 Apr 2019, 20:32

OK that's cool, I was only showing the many different ways Blender has to do the same task, plus the industry standard way.

Fire is just a video (several layered videos), but in Blender it can be overlayed (like after effects screen / multiply) and enhanced with Bloom in Eevee, so the real time feedback is really great for quick mockup. Model was from sketchup, I work in a Broadcast Network News Channel, so I have to rely on easy to use tools, quality isnt an issue because the animation has to be done within hours in the same day the event has occurred ( In this case the cathedral tragedy)

I also use C4D a lot since XSI when EOL but Eevee is great for daily news.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Apr 2019, 21:19

I am also making tuts in C4D so it seems were using same softs :)

Volumes are very nice, also Fields. I wished in next version they would extend the matchmoving, tracking to photogrammetry at same time revamping the texturing. Same with Blender the tracking might be extended to do 3D photogrammetry.

Draise

Post by Draise » 24 Apr 2019, 03:09

Bullit wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 17:27 And at side of that is a small side drop button that makes click in to appear 2 tabs for 2 click in. Why just not make the tabs visible...50% less clicks.
The fork Bforartists made the side panel/tabs open as a default from the 3D Viewport.

Concerning the Gizmo discussion, you can configure Blender to activate the gizmo's with the same hotkey to transform and still keep instant transform legacy controls (ridiculous with key combos) of Blender 2.79 using the same hotkey with Click drag. Basically I found a way to configure the toolshelf activated widgets by the wame WER workflow by just changing what's there to Click Drag and adding the toolshelf widget system to normal WER press.

Here is a video I did showcasing it.

Below is the UI work in progress by Bforartists, forking Blender 2.8. They saw a lot of huge inconsistencies and design choices that fix nothing of Blender 2.79, and still make the GUI worse off than most other user interfaces in the industry. It's becoming a lot more useable and easier to learn day by day.

I took note of some of the fixes in Bforartists 2 (Blender 2.8 series) Alpha 0.3.0.

This in my opinion is the very best build of Blender 2.8, as it is a complete UI fork with a philosophy that just makes sense concerning GUI.. much more than the still failing 2.8.
Attachments
bforartists_2019-04-23_20-08-19.png
bforartists_2019-04-23_20-08-19.png (293.09 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
bforartists_2019-04-23_19-52-24.jpg
bforartists_2019-04-23_20-02-48.jpg

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Apr 2019, 16:16

Nice, since this is a fork that exists for already a long time gives some confidence, hows it with Blender plugins like hardops and boxcutter ?

Draise

Post by Draise » 24 Apr 2019, 17:29

Bullit wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 16:16 Nice, since this is a fork that exists for already a long time gives some confidence, hows it with Blender plugins like hardops and boxcutter ?
If it works in B2.8, then it'd work in BFA2. The addon hotkeys may conflict, but that is just the addon's habit that adds hotkeys without regard to what is there.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Apr 2019, 20:13

Thanks.

Just one more nice modeling addon

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Apr 2019, 00:08

Anyone know a place with older versions of 2.8?

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 27 Apr 2019, 01:34

Not sure if you can unless you compile an older version yourself.

Maybe a post on the blender forms might find someone that will share it with you?

The current one I am using is 2019-04-07 00:43.
If that helps I can always put it in dropbox for you. Beauty of opensource :-)