Best Blender 2.8 build?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Bullit

Best Blender 2.8 build?

Post by Bullit » 20 Apr 2019, 19:47

I just downloaded the last Blender 2.8 build and was disappointed, this has no transform icon in toolbar, and other irritating stuff. Any opinion here, do i have to activate something? In Preferences i have lot's of addons to install but i don't know what i should.

Maximus

Re: Best Blender 2.8 build?

Post by Maximus » 21 Apr 2019, 11:36

idk what you are referring to but this is pretty much the interface when you start it

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Apr 2019, 17:27

I don't have the Transform button above the Move button in my interface. I see you have a November 2018 build. Mine is 17-4-2019.
I also never expected to say this but the famous Autodesk box in right top corner is better than that xyz gizmo.
And at side of that is a small side drop button that makes click in to appear 2 tabs for 2 click in. Why just not make the tabs visible...50% less clicks.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Apr 2019, 19:11

It's still beta, interface is changing, almost daily. A lot of old features are not rewired, yet. I'd believe they'll release a final before next Blender conference, this should be sometime in October.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Apr 2019, 19:17

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 21 Apr 2019, 19:20

Perhaps you are talking abut transform gizmo? If you press G then middle mouse you can drag to an axis to restrict movement so you don't need the gizmo at all. If you need the gizmo for some reason, just click the move tool on left side toolbar.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Apr 2019, 19:57

Bullit wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 19:17 They are expecting July https://www.blendernation.com/2019/04/1 ... announced/
I hope so. In past, similar plans were extended, frequently. Anyway let's be optimist and take that July...

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Apr 2019, 20:13

transform gizmos can now be enabled in the 3D viewport independent of active tools, from a popover menu in the header. The same popover also has controls for display of other gizmos. The Transform tool was removed as it is now redundant. (Campbell Barton)
https://www.blendernation.com/2019/04/1 ... pril-2019/

I have to enable it everytime i open Blender...redundant?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Apr 2019, 21:40

Bullit wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 20:13 I have to enable it everytime i open Blender...redundant?
Should be possible to get them on load by saving a startup file, or, by saving the preferences. It seems to me, that they are walking in circle, when it comes to toolbar and related tools. Hope it will possible to customize the entire thing, now there's good number of just not acceptable, no-option solutions for my taste. However, no sense to go with anything before 2.80 release.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Apr 2019, 22:47

luchifer wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 19:20 Perhaps you are talking abut transform gizmo? If you press G then middle mouse you can drag to an axis to restrict movement so you don't need the gizmo at all. If you need the gizmo for some reason, just click the move tool on left side toolbar.
Not same thing, i want the rotate, move, scale easily accessible.
Btw how move in XY or XZ axis?

Mathaeus, yes just wanted to start using it, Grease Pencil is very nice including painting in 3D, but when the interaction model is still not defined then it is like you say, better wait for 2.8 final

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 22 Apr 2019, 01:37

They took out the transform gizmo in the last update, I am talking about the one with move, scale and rotate all on the one gizmo.
When you first start blender you can choose a industry standard key map.

By first starting I mean the very first time you start it. If you do see the option when you start blender go to
C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender

and delete or move the 2.80 folder then restart blender.
You will see the option for keymap on the splash screen.

This gives you navigation and hot keys that are more standard.
The normal gizmos should be showing when you use the w,e,r keys for move rotate and scale etc.

They keymap is still a work in progress, in fact I wouldn't use the latest version of blender 2.80. I ended up going back to the one just before the latest and use my
own keymap.

For more info
https://developer.blender.org/T54963

Hopefully they should have this new keymap sorted by release in July I think it is.

Also if you end up not liking the keymap it is pretty easy to remap the whole application to have similar keymaps to Softimage.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Apr 2019, 14:41

Thanks kiwimation

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 18:30

Bullit wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 22:47
luchifer wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 19:20 Perhaps you are talking abut transform gizmo? If you press G then middle mouse you can drag to an axis to restrict movement so you don't need the gizmo at all. If you need the gizmo for some reason, just click the move tool on left side toolbar.
Not same thing, i want the rotate, move, scale easily accessible.
Btw how move in XY or XZ axis?

Mathaeus, yes just wanted to start using it, Grease Pencil is very nice including painting in 3D, but when the interaction model is still not defined then it is like you say, better wait for 2.8 final
To move in XY or XZ just press 1, 3, 7, 9 (front view, side view, etc) and press G to move. Or you can in perspective view press G and then Shift Z, Y or Z to substract that axis. ( G + shift Z equals XY ). In no time you will find industry standard gizmos useless or annoying.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 18:35

Also, if you want to scale half or double a value just press S, (middle mouse then drag the axis you want to scale), and 2 or 0.5 on the keyboard, then press ENTER. If you want to rotate, do the same but with 90 or 45 or whatever and then ENTER. You can also press S + X, Y or Z instead of S + middle mouse drag across axis, but personally I find middle mouse better as I use a wacom pen a lot.

Blender uses a lot of muscle memory, and as you can work with EEVEE in realtime viewport, you wont want the gizmos obstructing your view.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 22 Apr 2019, 18:52

Finally, remember if you moved or scaled an object and you choose a different axis by mistake, you can either click then undo, or just press ESC. If you are using the middle click drag way, you can try gseveral times until you get the right AXIS you want ( press G / S / R, then middle click drag X, then middle click drag Y, then middle click drag Z to see what I mean). Also if you want to fine tune your position, scaling or rotation, press SHIFT after your are done dragging your axis and you will be able to fine tune your movement.

Try this for fun : In a new scene click then press X to delete the cube, then Shit + a / mesh / cube to create a cube (again), tab to edit mode, 3 to polygon mode, left click select top polygon from the cube, then press E, move a little and then sright click, then S and scale inwards, click to accept. Then press E again and drag upwards and click to accept. Shift + D, middle mouse drag upwards, click to accept, then E and drag upwards again. A to select everything, click then CTrl B then drag to a side to create a bevel on all the faces, S then drag to add more segments. Then Click. You will notice you did everything with your left hand + pen or mouse, do it until muscle memory kicks and thats a small sample of why blender uses a lot of shortcuts and you dont need a gizmo to slow you down.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Apr 2019, 19:40

How using keyboard is faster than using a gizmo that allows to move in XY ZX YZ ? if i want to move an object i always have to move the arm and hand that have the pen so better to do it all there (i don't use a mouse)

Nevertheless good point about Eevee.