SoftimageGarage|HairDew1.0

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

HairDewAuthor: Jason Stambollian
V1.0 released Feb 20th 2019 — From the si-community thread: HairDew provides a very quick & easy workflow for animating long (or short) hair, from start to finish. It includesa Hair shader compound (Redshift) with volume scattering, illumination parameter isolation, and textured variation visualization, ICE nodes for both Sim & Styling based on Kinstinka, Melena, GroomTools, (+ some of my own nodes) and StrandCollisionFramework means to easily setup everything, many (old and recently added) features! There is also a more or less similar MentalRay shader compound that could be re-emplemented with a bit of work. (currenly not included)

HairDew is a workflow-in-a-box like solution rather than a plugin, so make sure to visit the thread below and follow the video tutorial to get an overview.

local backup: HairDew-project.zip HairDew-required-addons.zip

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
FXDude

Re: SoftimageGarage|HairDew1.0

Post by FXDude » 20 Feb 2019, 23:02

Hi,

Here is the Hairdew 1.0 with MR lights/shader setup

HairDew1.0MR.zip

The shader is based on the MuhHair shader  ( ya litterally the one from Daniel Rind 2002(?), later recompiled for 64bit )
which worked with the puppet light shader for traced backlight scattering.
(worked better than puppet's own P_hair shader, despite that it was based on MuhHair.. go figure)

The foreground fill lights use shadow maps, which look fine and way faster for foreground light transmittance (you can't use shadow maps for Backlights.. because yuk)
But use all trace lights if you dont want to deal with which light is in the back or front.

That pic was an 8 minute render and sampling is stable in animation (no big noise or flickering to deal with)

All MR shaders used are part of the XSI-MR-ShaderPack.xsiaddon

and as previously mentionned, ...
FXDude wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 14:56... you should be able to export the shader as a compound, or make a model with the Styling pointcloud (with the MR shader) along with the lights,
and import the model in the new posted scene above, switch it to MR, and replace the RS shader with the MR one. (copy paste from the import)
Apart from the MR shader, that scene can also show the core of the setup when it was in a simpler state.

Now anxious to try rendering these strands with Sycles :)
Last edited by FXDude on 25 Feb 2019, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Feb 2019, 01:33

hi Jason,

the export of compound from HairDew0.5 (MR scene) is specified with error, and results when importing into 1.0 with 'unspecified failure'.
or I do not well understand if I have to build a Phong (or Blinn, or Lambert) MR shader on the Base mesh of the Character (clone) of the Redshift HairDew 1.0 scene , on top of which mesh with new Phong or Blinn I have to import the compound from 0.5 ??
to phrase this better: when 1.0 is opened, what needs to be selected when I import the compound saved from 0.5 ?
and the import of the model you prepared ( with Styling and lights ) from 0.5 scene into 1.0 scene makes Softimage 2015 explode.

thank you !!
Mathyas

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Feb 2019, 02:12

Humm.. for me exporting throws (inconsequencial) errors, but importing is fine.

Try selecting the hair, (the final SylingFilling point cloud) and branch select (middle click) the root of the lights container,
and make a new model out of that selection, export it, and import that model in HairDew1.0

Once imported,
switch the 1.0 scene's renderer from RS to MR (Render -> SceneOptions)

then copy the HairDew shader node from the StylingFilling cloud in the imported model,
and paste it in the Styling/Filling point cloud's material, also deleting the RS mat.

Delete RS Lights,

Delete RS material on Character, replace with a regular phong.

And see if that works, cheers!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Feb 2019, 02:27

BTW, The hair lighting is independant of all other scene lighting.

Hair lights won't affect anything else other than the hair (you don't want shadowMaps for anything else),
all scene lights won't affect hair but will still cast hair shadows, all for MR Hair GI fakery (MR is faker, but can be a good & fast faker :p )
and exclusions should happen automatically (without having to manage scene light exclusions).

~o)

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 21 Feb 2019, 11:12

If not difficult, write a small video lesson
(WITH MENTAL RAY
&
Cycles)
and it will become clearer to everyone how to use your cool plugin!
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gcfg8vu9abn2pxz/HairDew1_OverviewTutorial.mp4?dl=1 (only red shift)

WITH MENTAL RAY
&
Cycles
Last edited by xsisoft on 21 Feb 2019, 12:50, edited 4 times in total.

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 21 Feb 2019, 11:14

"That pic was an 8 minute render and sampling is stable in animation (no big noise or flickering to deal with)"

What is the frame setting? 1920-1080? 720-576?

Can I have a video ?!

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 21 Feb 2019, 12:48

thanks for the work-cool plugin !!!

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Feb 2019, 13:56

hi Jason.
sorry, i am new to ICE still have to understand some logic perhaps.

model from 0.5 when imported into the 1.0 Redshift scene makes SI crash.
when i try to only load the pointcloud and the lights into a model for export,
upon import in 1.0 SI shows unspecified failure some object is said missing. then crashes anyway.

then about the compound.:
i select m-StylingFilling thus the pointcloud. in RenderTree there is the RedshiftHairDew (which i delete) and RedshiftMat
i try to import the compound from the 0.5 pointcloud there. It seems not working. i try to create a phong from there
and connect the 0.5 shader into that hairdew mat. but as the light are not imported due to the model import crash,
i do not know if i am doing it the right way. (just the silouhette of the character mesh appears in MR preview.)
besides i don't know which one of those two attached compound-shaders in annex below is the one i need to import
on the m-StylingFilling ( or onto the -BaseCharacter-ICEClone--Scaled mesh. it doesnt work either) no light no hair in the preview.

i don't understand from your explanation if the model export/import of pointcloud and lights can be bypassed in another way
in order to get the lights and the pointcloud because model import from 0.5 to 1.0 so far seems to be crashing SI

thank you for your patience,
salutes,
Mathyas
Attachments
hair_dew_back.xsirtcompound
(389.61 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
ShaderCompound_MR_Hair_Dew.xsirtcompound
(156.28 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Feb 2019, 20:54

Hi,
I updated the MR post above with new file and pic.

Auto light filtering partly broke at some point,
But it's not a big deal, you just need to light your scenes (any any light coming across the hair) with duplicates of provided scene lights, for these lights to not affect hair,

So the hair which will only be affected by hair lights, while scene lights will cast hair shadows on scene objects including the body,
and hair light will still cast the character's body shadows on hair.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Feb 2019, 21:06

But real raytraced GI is soo much easier (without having to stuggle to get things to look natural)

Especially when its more than twice as fast to render!

HairDewRS has a dome light, and a sun light, and that's it :)

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Feb 2019, 21:51

FXDude wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 20:54 Hi,
I updated the MR post above with new file and pic.

Auto light filtering partly broke at some point,
But it's not a big deal, you just need to light your scenes (any any light coming across the hair) with duplicates of provided scene lights, for these lights to not affect hair,

So the hair which will only be affected by hair lights, while scene lights will cast hair shadows on scene objects including the body,
and hair light will still cast the character's body shadows on hair.
hi Jason,
thank you for update.(!).
i still have the following errors lines
(upon launch of scene MR1.0 the cache file is not found by SI but I assume this is normal)
then when rendering the scene there are two error red alerts:
PHEN 0.7 (..) 256 MB error 051011 : shader "sj_radio_boolean" not found // shader "sj_radio_station" not found

i have trouble understanding what you mean by "auto light filtering"
i am in the process of trying to understand your scene and how i can use it in my own scenes.
if necessary there are still digital tutor/plural sight video tutorials on strands : do you think this might be of help for me in the process of understanding your add-on ?
i here join an image of the render i get without tweaking anything as i don't get the long hair as in your sample:
Attachments
mr_hairdew1.0.jpg
mr_hairdew1.0.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 3741 times

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Feb 2019, 23:38

Hum.. missing cache files shouln't matter.. do you see long strands in the viewport? or are they short only in the render?
(and did you install all included required addons?)

If so, you may try to also install the original 'sj_radio' from the resources section, (if I missed some files to include)

Also BTW.. Yay! I got a spot in the banner hall of fame :ymdaydream: :p

talent103

Post by talent103 » 26 Feb 2019, 03:24

Looks Great!! :-bd

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Feb 2019, 01:28

FXDude wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 23:38 Hum.. missing cache files shouln't matter.. do you see long strands in the viewport? or are they short only in the render?
(and did you install all included required addons?)

If so, you may try to also install the original 'sj_radio' from the resources section, (if I missed some files to include)

Also BTW.. Yay! I got a spot in the banner hall of fame :ymdaydream: :p
i certainly do not have long hair like in your tutorial. here below what appears in display upon loading scene 1.0 MR

what am i supposed to do with the krinstinka and melena files?

i have installed all the add-on you gave, but need explanation from the si-community how to load the sj_radio add-on from ressources :
it is coming as text only file when i click on the link in ressources: local backup:SJ_Radio_win64.xsiaddon (Mental Ray version)

please apologize but i am not a geek i do not understand how to reproduce your model on my computer with softimage 2015. i am so depressed about it.
Attachments
display.jpg
display.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 3692 times

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 27 Feb 2019, 07:32

REPEAT

" If not difficult, write a small video lesson
(WITH MENTAL RAY
&
Cycles)
and it will become clearer to everyone how to use your cool plugin!
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gcfg8vu9abn2pxz/HairDew1_OverviewTutorial.mp4?dl=1 (only red shift)

WITH MENTAL RAY
&
Cycles"

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 27 Feb 2019, 07:42

or anyone can help?, make a (stable) build under mental ray and Cycles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
very cool plugin! but dancing with tambourines :)