Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Shekn

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 14 Feb 2019, 19:38

*.dll with the fix: https://mega.nz/#!M5ZilAAJ!M_3_kDWlyiDy ... nbeDICwKxs

Replace by this file the file with the same name in the folder with installed addon.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 15 Feb 2019, 08:10

Shekn wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 17:41 Small update 1.7.4. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Syc ... 4.xsiaddon

Only bug fixes. In particular, now Sycles renders model instances (as requested by yashugan). Also adds menu to the Material Manager for the quick creation of simple materials. Simply click on the menu item and new material will be added to the active library.
OH MY MIND!! I AM JUST RETURNING TO SOFTIMAGE after 4 years, and I feel I have not waisted my time learning cycles when I saw this image.
GENIUS!! THANK YOU!! SO MUCH!!

So back to the original thumbnailing thing: how did it go? I remember the pack you showed for softimage 1.5 (extra materials) installed the .bmp thumbnails on a local extract folder
on softimage directory. I don´t remember how exactly but once I wanted to delete those thumbnails even though I had uninistalled (badly manually) the .dlls.

Are you still taking suggestions for the SYCLES addon? I mentioned you should attach at least 1 example for each node so newbies could get accostumed to what the shader does.
Cheers.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 15 Feb 2019, 09:59

Shekn wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 19:38 *.dll with the fix: https://mega.nz/#!M5ZilAAJ!M_3_kDWlyiDy ... nbeDICwKxs

Replace by this file the file with the same name in the folder with installed addon.
Thanks a lot for your very super fast update :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 15 Feb 2019, 10:10

sirdavid32 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 08:10 I mentioned you should attach at least 1 example for each node so newbies could get accostumed to what the shader does.
Cheers.
Maybe these links can be usefull :

https://store.blender.org/product/cycles-encyclopedia/
https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/cy ... cyclopedia

Cheers
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 15 Feb 2019, 13:12

Wireframex is right. For understanding Cycles concepts, philosophy, shader nodes parameters and general render settings you should use official Blender documentation. Because all this stuff is working in the similar way.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 18 Feb 2019, 04:33

Hi,

I havent yet installed the more recent builds of sycles, but I wanted to ask if compound creation was possible?

and if not, is it something that would be potentially feasable?

Cheers and thanks for your efforts, Sycles is definately an asset!! :) 3:-O ~o)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 18 Feb 2019, 16:21

Of course you can use shader compounds with any supported nodes inside. If by "compound creation" you mean creation new node (with some custom behaivour) by using Python scripts, then it is impossible. But in other hand, any behaviour can be implemented by osl-nodes.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 18 Feb 2019, 17:36

Hum! okay, so I perhaps my next compound will contain sycles nodes :)

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 22 Feb 2019, 10:36

Open Shading Language (OSL) & Cycles render engine

is a shading language developed by Sony Pictures Imageworks for use in its Arnold Renderer.

It is also supported
by
Otoy's Octane Render,[citation needed]
V-Ray 3, and by the
Cycles render engine in Blender (starting with Blender 2.65). !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSL's surface and volume shaders define how surfaces or volumes scatter light in a way that allows for importance sampling; thus,
it is well suited for physically-based renderers that support
ray tracing and global illumination.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... s/osl.html

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 22 Feb 2019, 12:32

Has anyone ever tried to repeat these shaders in softimage ?

CGCookie - Shaderforge (Blender Cycles)
https://cgcookie.com/course/shader-forge/

&
CYCLES MATERIAL VAULT
https://www.cyclesmaterialvault.com/

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 27 Feb 2019, 10:20

alternatives Cycles render ? !

What's New in Blender 2.80
https://www.blender.org/2-8/
EEVEE

EEVEE is a new physically based realtime renderer. It works both as a renderer for final frames, and as the engine driving Blender’s realtime viewport for creating assets.

It has advanced features such as volumetrics, screen-space reflections and refractions, subsurface scattering, soft and contact shadows, depth of field, camera motion blur and bloom.

EEVEE F.A.Q.
https://code.blender.org/2018/03/eevee-f-a-q/

rray

Post by rray » 05 Mar 2019, 20:56

This is taking huge steps forward. Just wondering one thing, because ICE attributes already work for meshes, will ICE attributes for pointclouds be added to this as well?
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 06 Mar 2019, 16:49

Now Sycles renders pointclouds in two modes: if it contains non-trivial strands data, then it recognized as hairs, and all ICE-attributes can be rendered. If there are no non-trivial strands data, then pointcloud object interpreted as array of instances of one mesh. This mesh can be either any primitive (like box, sphere and so on), or taken from the scene. In this case, if pointcloud shader contains any references to ICE-attributes, then these attributes taken from this master scene object. That is why attributes per particles are impossible now. If you would like to render particles with different ICE-data, then these particles should be rendered not as instances, but as separate objects. I think, it is possible to add some kind of checkbox in render preferences, so you can select what you would like: fast instances without any per-point data, or slow objects, but with access to points attributes. If it is what you asked for, I will try to implement it in the next update.

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 06 Mar 2019, 17:07

if not hard, video?

rray

Post by rray » 06 Mar 2019, 18:30

Ah issue is there is no primitive point cloud support in Cycles. Thanks I see, makes perfect sense.

I was trying to render spheres that pick up the "Color" attribute from the point cloud. For that probably it makes more sense to use an instancing plugin in my scene that creates a mesh with the attributes baked in instead of getting surprised by a slow render.

What would be useful in Sycles what I think currently doesn't work, if you could have 2 pointclouds with for example the primitive sphere instanced and both have different materials. At the moment one picks up the material from the other if the primitive is the same.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 07 Mar 2019, 15:17

Ok, I see the bug. It should work in the following way: if particle instance is primitive object (selected from shape menu in emit particle node), then shader should be obtained from material assigned to this pointcloud, but if instance is an in-scene mesh, then material should be obtained from this object (and, of course, ignore material of the pointcloud). But know it does not render primitives, and this is a bug.