Arm effectors & symmetry constraints?

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Arm effectors & symmetry constraints?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Sep 2014, 19:43

Very silly question, I’m sure, but working with the basic “default rig” on an equally default man character, I tried setting up a ‘symmetry constraint” between the two Arm effectors. But when I do, the hand on one side ends up rotated “into” the arm. What’s going on here, what am I doing wrong & what can I do to prevent this?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mathaeus

Re: Arm effectors & symmetry constraints?

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Sep 2014, 20:49

yeah it's unusual one, nicely to say. First of all, it's bi-directional (unbelievable) - but, if I'm correct, local options ( disable scale or so ) are working only on constraint operator carrier. It's global like any other constraint, but it allows to pick the middle control object at the end of session.
In my real life it was expression for setting this, this_model.my_left_effector.kine.local.rotz * -1 , so on. Depend of what is local position or rotation, one or two of three parameters is negative, rest is plain link.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Sep 2014, 21:54

The symmetry constraint has offset params that you can adjust to get it to align properly. I did it on the Species PropRig.

Be aware, the symmetry constraint does NOT like scripted processes on controls / object with symmetry constraints. That constraint is probably one of the most unpredictable and unstable ones in Softimage.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Sep 2014, 23:46

Thank you both. But why does this happen at all? :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Sep 2014, 23:53

Probably the combination of having multiple options for the symmetry and not being able to determine the correct offsets automatically.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken