How to cache non-ice animation

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Maximus

How to cache non-ice animation

Post by Maximus » 26 Mar 2013, 14:59

Hey guys, i have a 2500 frames animation, which is causing a lot of slow downs during playback.
The scene itself consist of few items but they are all not frozen, editable and ready to make changes and modifies, text included. So everything is live, that might be the reason why it takes a lot to compute when i press play, the performance is pretty low.

So i was wondering if there was a way to cache animation, I was reading about plotting (baking) but i'm not sure i'm in the right direction, the Help guides me trough a lot of steps and its quite daunting to have a simple cache as I need for this project.

I tried with cache manager but not much success with it. Basically what i would like is Cache the whole animation, start a new scene and import it back so everything is way faster and lighter, since i have to shade and light the scene now.
The animation consist mostly on keyframe animation, no ICE at all.

Any suggestion?

thanks

xsisupport

Re: How to cache non-ice animation

Post by xsisupport » 26 Mar 2013, 15:21

Cache Manager, Additional Options tab.
At the bottom, see the Bake Animation group with the All Transform check box?

Maybe that will help.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

mattmos

Re: How to cache non-ice animation

Post by mattmos » 26 Mar 2013, 15:29

I'd try just freezing the modelling stack of all of your geo first, might give you enough of a boost? Once stuff is baked out it can be a pain to unbake in case of changes... Cache manager will give you the best speed boost, particularly if you write it out to a pointcache clip in the mixer, don't bother with cache on files nodes etc. If you need to move the geometry afterwards you will need to use ice to add pointpositions or use a lattice deformer higher up the stack, as it caches globally for some ridiculous reason.