Editing multiple parameters at once in the keying panel

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
sonictk

Editing multiple parameters at once in the keying panel

Post by sonictk » 22 Feb 2013, 16:05

Hi all:

Is there a way to edit multiple parameters at the same time by scrubbing in the keying panel? I know I can enter a specific value for multiple parameters at once, but what if I wanted to edit multiple values at the same time by increasing them relative to each other? Similar to Maya, where you can highlight multiple parameters and then MMB-drag in the viewport to change them all at the same time.

Additionally, is there a way in SI to have combination selection filters like Maya, where I can say, select only nulls and lights, without having to create a seperate custom filter for every combination that I would like?

I've not really used XSI for animation before, so if this seems a bit silly, sorry about that. Tried googling around, but couldn't find anything on this either.

Thanks!

EricTRocks

Re: Editing multiple parameters at once in the keying panel

Post by EricTRocks » 25 Feb 2013, 01:43

1. Mark the parameters you want to adjust, hit F4, scrub back and forth in the viewport.
2. Selection filters can't be combined that I know of.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 25 Feb 2013, 02:40

1. You are amazing

2. Noooooooo actually it's not such a big deal because I can just organize my rig and mesh with layers. Point 1 was more important though, never knew XSI had that virtual slider functionality.

Thanks! As a side note, is it just me or does the Malcom rig make XSI (http://www.animschool.com/DownloadOffer.aspx) lag like crazy when you key all attributes as compared to the Maya version? It takes like a good 4 - 5 seconds for XSI to set the keys before it becomes responsive again and it's driving me nuts.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 25 Feb 2013, 02:45

To organize your rig use "Groups". They are not the same as Maya. They are an organizational tool not a transform object. You can create as many as you need and put all types of objects in them.

I have seen the Malcom rig be a bit slow at times in Softimage. Not sure what method you are using to set keys. Is it using the Synoptic / GUI Picker or just the normal set key button? Not sure what parameters they have filtered out so that not all params are keyed if not needed.
Eric Thivierge

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 25 Feb 2013, 02:52

Either using the synoptic Key All function or manually selecting all the null controls and keying them makes for a delay before the keyed attributes are actually set. It's a little annoying, but I'm not sure if it's just Malcolm-related, since I've never had this issue before. Then again, Malcom is probably one of the most complicated rigs I've touched so far. :X

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 25 Feb 2013, 03:00

I think it depends on the rig. Our Species rigs key really really quickly.
Eric Thivierge

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 25 Feb 2013, 09:30

Starving artist... :X Gotta make do with what I can find free for now :P

Species looks really nice for a film-quality rig though...I wish my school would actually let me try using SI on my projects instead of forever sticking with Maya >_<

Thanks for the advice though! I think what I'll do is create a custom marking set to key only the parameters that I commonly use, should hopefully speed it up!