Shape Animation On Curve

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000

Shape Animation On Curve

Post by Frank1000 » 16 Feb 2013, 01:09

Hi,
I wanted to animate the shape of a curve, but how do I set the keys for that ?
When I hit Deform . Shape / Store And Apply Shape Key, or any other Shape Key function, it wants me to change the construction mode to shape modeling construction mode, but i couldn't figure how.
It actually stores the keys, but doesn't animate between them yet.
I thought I tale a curve, hit Shape Key, change the frame in the timeline, adjust the shape and hit shape key again, but that's not how this works.
How is this done ?

Regards,
Frank

EricTRocks

Re: Shape Animation On Curve

Post by EricTRocks » 16 Feb 2013, 19:40

Blend shapes probably aren't the best solution for you just guessing at what you're after. However you can create blend shapes for curves. Blend shapes aren't based on time. They are just position offsets from the original position. So you can look at the docs for how to create blend shapes and the workflow you need to follow.

If you want to move the points of a curve over time:
- Create nulls at each point
- then select each point, and go to Model > Modify > Deform > Cluster Center. Select the appropriate null for each point.

This sticks the point to the null object. Then you can just animate the nulls as needed along the time line. I would highly suggest that you create that deformer while in "Animation Construction Mode". You can change what mode you're in up at the top of the interface just after the menus. Once you're done creating those deformers switch back to "Modeilng Construction Mode".
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Frank1000

Re: Shape Animation On Curve

Post by Frank1000 » 16 Feb 2013, 20:01

k cool thx