Motion Trail on viewport -Version Up

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Motion Trail Tool 1.5Author: taro
With this custom tool you can visualize and edit trails of fcurve animated objects directly in the viewport. Like with all custom tools this must be mapped to a hotkey.

The recent updates includes these features: Fix Bug about neutral pose and pivot Fix Bug about keyboard shortcut Add option "Don't deselect when you click on empty space" Add option "Display only limited frames" Manipulator ( Global Translate only ) Insert Key by Middle Click Remove Key by shortcut Delete Break Tangents by shortcut O Auto Slope by shortcut Shift+A Context Menu by Right Click Fixed Bug ( when parent animate, it was weird ) Slope Size by shortcut PageUp and PageDown Change Custom Preference Faster than v1.2 ( maybe ).

See this thread for a discussion on v1 of this plugin. The author has since created his own thread on si-community (link below) to facilitate the upload of his updates - this new thread is also recommended for new posts.

local backup: MotionTrail_v1.5.zip

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
i.animator

Re: Motion Trail on viewport -Version Up

Post by i.animator » 03 Oct 2012, 00:53

First off...this tool is AWESOME!!!

But it has a pretty big bug. It doesn't take into account neutral pose (and potentially pivot and pivot compensation either) So when you try to manipulate the keys and tangents on controls that have rotational values stored in the neutral pose, the transformation ends up being screwy.

I know that you have provided the source code for it (thank you very much), but before we dig in to C++, is this a bug that you would intend to fix?

taro

Post by taro » 03 Oct 2012, 14:29

Thank you, i.animator.
I confirmed the bug now. Honestly I haven't thought of neutral pose and pivot.
I have to fix it, so give me a minute.

Cenda

Post by Cenda » 05 Oct 2012, 10:42

Great tool!! I have little suggestion :) It will fine, if you add some constrain control for moving tangent only in one direction. So I can rotate handle only by X, Y or Z axis or by direction of animation. But I can use Front/Right view of course. Once again, great work, I will use it :x

i.animator

Post by i.animator » 10 Oct 2012, 14:02

Thank you for taking the time to look into that issue, Taro. We are anxiously awaiting the bugfix; I check back every day to see if a new version has been released yet.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 11 Oct 2012, 01:12

One word.. Wohooo!

crude

Post by crude » 11 Oct 2012, 20:16

One of the best plugins ! big thanks.

Philo

Post by Philo » 12 Oct 2012, 17:05

This is an incredibly useful tool you did there. Since you've asked for suggestions on improvements, I have some small ideas that I think would improve the user experience and overall usability of your awesome tool.

1- Have some sort of highlight for the current frame on the trajectory (different size/color)
2- Make the keys color-coded based on which axis is/are keyed
3- Even though rotation/scaling` keys are not influenced by the motiontrail manipulation, it would still be nice to at least see them on the trail
4- Having an option similar to ghosting where you specify how many frames before/after the current frame you want to display would be incredibly useful for complex and long animations
5- Having the option to display the motiontrail on a non-selected object would also be useful. Example use: I'd want to track the tip of the nose of a character while manipulating the head rotations.
6- I don't personally have any issues with a white motiontrail, but I do know some animators that like to customize every color setting they can get their hands on, so to add the option of colored trails would be a nice thing for them to have access to.
7- Keeping the previous suggestion in mind, when having multiple objects selected, it would be less confusing if the trails weren't all the same color.

Don't get me wrong, your addon is extremely cool in its current state, these would just make it even more awesome imho.

Cheers!
Helping speed up animators one tool at a time!

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 15 Oct 2012, 21:06

Hello...

I’ve just downloaded the Motion Trail plug in and trying to use it, but I can’t figure out how to open it up in Softimage. It’s not showing up in the Custom Script Commands list or the Preferences list. Is there a step I’m missing? I know I installed in because it shows up in my list of plug ins, but I can’t find the tool in Softimage interface.

Could you help me?

thanks in advanced,
TN

Qwesto

Post by Qwesto » 15 Oct 2012, 23:16

Second every point, Philo!

-Unrealistic wish: Softselection with falloff and a custom curve op + a circular region which can be set (paint tool).

The 2nd part of the suggestion mitght be more realistic: A circular region which might be even resizable would be nice. Sometimes it happens, that you really need to tweak several points on different sections of the path or several arcs cons have to be cleaned and it's then hard to quickly hit a certain point or tedious to rec-mark each and every key.

-A thing that a few other guys and me find still annoying, is that the trail disappears if you miss the manipulator or the key on the curve, shouldn't disappear if you hit in space.

The downer might be, that the workflow speed might slowdown, because you need another custom hotkey. But as an option it would be nice, cause if it happens several times that the trail is gone, and especially if you have many arcs/keys to clean it can become frustrating.

-Your animation manipulator would be awesome, but doesn't seem to be easy/possible (?)

-local space manipulator (or aligned to the arc) is really missing.

Nevertheless the best and fastest arctracker/-editor I've ever worked with and even like it is, it's superior to animcurve 3d in Maya(used it @ AM).

Qwesto

Post by Qwesto » 16 Oct 2012, 15:57

...it's all in there, maybe you should contact this guy, Taro :)

taro

Post by taro » 16 Oct 2012, 17:11

> thorsnuts

I don't know though... :( the preference will be made when the tool activate for the first time. so it won't appear with just install.
Can you see the plugin in the plugin manager? Isn't it marked red, if it is red, it doesn't work.
and I didn't write in readme, this tool will work on only 2012 or lator.

> Philo
> Qwesto

too many. :-o but thanks. feedbacks are helpful for me. :)
actually I'm trying to fix the problem about neutral pose and pivot. I didn't think it was so difficult, but I can't solve it yet... ~x(
when I fix it, if I have motivation yet, I will try to repair a couple of things. maybe, colors, display range, non deselect with clicking space.
A circular region idea sounds good, I want it too, but it sounds hard for me to make it.
and I forgot to say this, keys will be made if there aren't 3 keys on the frame from v1.3. so I thought I didn't need the key's axis color .
forget about animation manipulator, I made it to make a manipulator on the motion trail.

> vimeo
good tool. changing key's timing looks useful. I can't do that though.

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 16 Oct 2012, 17:18

taro wrote:> thorsnuts

I don't know though... :( the preference will be made when the tool activate for the first time. so it won't appear with just install.
Can you see the plugin in the plugin manager? Isn't it marked red, if it is red, it doesn't work.
and I didn't write in readme, this tool will work on only 2012 or lator.
Thank you...

taro

Post by taro » 16 Oct 2012, 18:08

I heard about a new bug x_x
Even if you changed shortcut in Keyboard Mapping, after reboot Softimage, they are gone.
It's meaningless!
There are no MotionTrail's group in Keyboard Mapping.
Does someone know about like this...? I have to find out why.

I heard about this too. and I added this at first post.
This tool needs Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Redistributable.
If you can't use this tool, try install Visual C++ 2010.

Qwesto

Post by Qwesto » 16 Oct 2012, 22:24

@ Taro:

Manipulator: Okay, okay :D But could you maybe, just maybe, enable the dual axis transforms on the current one? This would be very big help for character animation.

Just take 'em as suggestion/wishlist and please do not feel forced. Think I speak for Philo as well :)

Awesome work so far!!!

i.animator

Post by i.animator » 18 Oct 2012, 00:50

Taro, I'm sorry to report another bug while you are wrestling with the neutral pose one. But the first and last frames do not have tangent handles. The workaround is to set keys one frame before and after the animation range, but that feels very awkward. Again, thank you for sharing this wonderful too. We are very much looking forward to the bug-fix, best of luck.

taro

Post by taro » 19 Oct 2012, 15:54

Hi, i.animator. I did it on purpose. Because it was not cool when the objects have Animation Layer. You can't edit FCurves of Animation Layer in this tool, so I didn't have to care about Animation Layer, but it was not just cool. So I erased the first and last tangent handles. You don't need them, right?