Softimage and Unreal

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
bluetish99

Softimage and Unreal

Post by bluetish99 » 07 Jul 2019, 03:01

Does anyone have any good tips, taking things modeled/animated in Softimage to Unreal? Like workflows, settings to consider when exporting and importing, uvs and lightmaps, and just experiences in general? I know most people use 3ds max and maya now but... softimage... anything would be nice :)

bluetish99

Re: Softimage and Unreal

Post by bluetish99 » 07 Jul 2019, 03:11

Here's a question: how do you import instances into unreal? I know you can instantiate only models in softimage, and when I do that, and then in unreal File>import into level, the instances come in as spheres. I've seen in some tutorials that you can select the mesh the spheres take on but i don't see any such option in the details panel. Am i missing something here? :c

myara

Post by myara » 10 Jul 2019, 05:30

I don't have much experience with Softimage and Unreal but, you can't export instances, or clones. You need to convert them to meshes before exporting.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

homam

Post by homam » 04 Aug 2019, 16:43

In UE4 you can import full scenes exported in FBX file. check this doc for more info:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Eng ... index.html

It will take care also of materials, lights,... etc. but you might still want to re-arrange things as this approach is not efficient in terms of instancing.

Regards,