Autodesk won't License both 'Maya with Softimage'

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nolan

Autodesk won't License both 'Maya with Softimage'

Post by Nolan » 20 Nov 2018, 17:13

Autodesk won't generate a license that will enable me to use both Maya 2017 and Softimage at the same time as stated in the product description. I don't have an on going subscription but my license are permanent.

Could anyone in the USA help with a 'false advertising' complaint to the Federal Trade Commission as the product states 'Maya with Softimage' but they won't give a single license to use both at the same time and try to upsell new subscriptions. I'm in New Zealand.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-r ... dvertising

Has pushed me towards contributing to the blender fund. Isn't cgtalk.com a ghost town since they killed Softimage and made subscriptions! Have people moved onto facebook and twitter, I'm not on there, or have they just given up in disgust at Autodesk.

The irony is that they themselves have ruined their own ME business but instead of becoming more pleasant they are pissed and have gotten more mean and horrible.
Last edited by Nolan on 05 Jan 2019, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Bullit

Re: Autodesk won't License both 'Maya with Softimage'

Post by Bullit » 20 Nov 2018, 18:08

Maurice Patel said that you can use both.

You can sue them in New Zealand i think.

rray

Post by rray » 20 Nov 2018, 20:17

Do you have a network license? I've run into the issue not being able to run them simultaneously with a network license. On my home standalone license it works. (Not that I knew any further from there...)

They should both function the same, and if I remember right they were advertised to be "1 click interoperable" which only works when both are running.

It looks like it would be 15 minutes of work for someone.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 20 Nov 2018, 21:50

Just for your information I posted the same post on cgtalk incorrectly in the news section probably because I posted in News here. It was closed correctly. So I posted again in the General section. But now it seems to have disappear. I hope my comment didn't offend when I said cgalk was a ghost town. Its my go to for dialogue.

Thing is that they may stop me from posting about my brand new software which is very useful in a text based CG pipeline especially.

And it stops any attempt to spread the word about suing Autodesk for false advertising. In my opinion.

:)
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 20 Nov 2018, 23:19

Yes its network version but:

"The only way you can have access to an earlier version is by having an active subscription, or purchasing the license under a subscription." But the license say 2017 "Maya with Softimage". Its a permanent license and my FINAL version as it were :) . I have tried periodically over months but just give up each time. It's a pain because to try the different serials & products keys I have to reinstall each time.
If they can fix it in 15 minutes. Why don't they. I 'll contact them again.

"Checking the license file and the licenses we found that Maya with Softimage 2017 is registered and it doesn't have an active subscription.For this reason we're unable to provide you with the requested access for the Autodesk Maya with Softimage 2015, therefore when we generate a license file the system will only let us generate the 2017 version. " - Pretty sure I asked for Maya 2017 with Softimage 2015 SP2 - not correct but close enough. (I never owned Maya 2015. Wrong I did.)

"Regarding your case, to check it further, would you please send the current License File ?
I've checked the Serial number and it is ;
Maya with Softimage 2017 Non-Language Specific
It doesn't seem like it includes SoftImange 2015 but I need to check the license file.
Waiting for update." - You're not wrong :)

"The license file already provide both version, this because the Maya with Softimage already include the Softimage
If you have another serial number please provide with it and we can totally re-create the file" - My latest license 2017 "Maya with Softimage" doesn't include any words that mention softimage,xsi. Did you bail at that version? Does yours?

With the amazing analytics you'd think they'd would be more helpful.

When asked "How can my license be for “Maya with Softimage 2017” be “Permanent” if I can’t even get a license which works for both the latest versions? I’m very disappointed! Please remedy this situation.". Why wasn't I told I could obtain such a license?

It is very difficult situation if I have to keep swapping licenses to use both products.

When Maya 2017 & Softimage came out I may have not got a license for a while. Is that the problem somehow? It's probably just me somehow because I kept leaving it for months at a time?
Maurice Patel said that you can use both.
Thats right!
Last edited by Nolan on 05 Jan 2019, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 21 Nov 2018, 05:27

Come to think of it, I was never able to download 2017 Softimage from Autodesk and had to use https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r ... ack-2.html . They have never given me a license with the text Softimage or XSI in for 2017.
I did contact them and it's been a long 15 minutes.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 23 Nov 2018, 06:50

Friday, 23 November 2018 at 1:33 AM
"We do apologize for the inconveniences that you may faced. As we already explained you Maya with Softimage 2017 is registered and it doesn't have an active subscription.For this reason we're unable to provide you with the requested access for the Autodesk Maya with Softimage 2015, therefore when we generate a license file the system will only let us generate the 2017 version." - "faced" alright.

Is it payback in my opinion?
meta SDK sharing concept, utilizing Maya ASCII format + USD
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4541

I also wrote a post on CGTalk about how so many ex Softimage developers that Autodesk could let users pay for for it to be developed maybe on github by those ex developers but my idea wasn't to open source it. They would still charge for it. I can't find a way to search the new CGTalk for my old posts and I can't find it in the https://web.archive.org. And hans't CGTalk changed to new software anyway, I suppose it was bad timing for them as they could have decided to cancel it already in my opinion.

I wonder what CGTalks reason is for deleting my post from the General Discussions forum?
Last edited by Nolan on 23 Nov 2018, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 23 Nov 2018, 07:57

Last edited by Nolan on 05 Jan 2019, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 23 Nov 2018, 08:30

Autodesk once sent me a communication asking for information about myself. Can't remember if it was an email or snail mail. I never replied.
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Nov 2018, 09:41

Check what Maurice Patel said here in mailing list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xsi_list

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 23 Nov 2018, 17:34

In my reply to the following case closed message below I asked:
"What is the latest version of Softimage called? And how do I download it? I can’t find the download."

Friday, 23 November 2018 at 5:34 PM
"Support Case (14800064) is now closed.Support Case (14800064) is now closed."

Friday, 23 November 2018 at 9:42 PM
"You can find the download link in your Autodesk Account. ........."

I assume am able to download it now.

You understood my desire for Maya 2017 with Softimage surely. They couldn't seem to understand it.

I suppose technically I would not have been able to use Softimage anymore because I could't download the latest version. So only had the old 2015 SP 2 version that I couldn't use as I wasn't on an active subscription which allows you to use older versions.

All in my opinion,
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 23 Nov 2018, 17:58

Unless its bundled in the Maya 17 Package I still can't find it.

Is your Softimage, the one they won't give a name, listed in here?
ImageImage
Copyright Autodesk
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 26 Nov 2018, 21:23

Still not resolved.

Autodesk keep closing the case.

Can anyone tell me if their Autodesk page is the same as the screenshot above?

Did you use https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r ... ack-2.html to obtain your final copy or is it in the Products page?

Is the final of Softimage called 2015 SP2?

I'm still unable to run both Maya 2017 & the final Softimage off the same license
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

luceric

Post by luceric » 27 Nov 2018, 05:27

if you really have bought "Softimage with Maya" (and not upgraded to a collection something else), then Softimage 2017 with Maya is product key 977I1. I cannot recall if the license they generate just works or requires manual intervention to add some Softimage 2015 license token to it. It's not a Maya 2017 license or two separate produce licenses, it's specifically a "Softimage with Maya" 2017 license that both products with run off. The last build of Softimage is 2015 SP2 and it's definitely not included in any Maya installer. It's a separate installer. You can just use google to find the download link for that.

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 09 May 2019, 05:06

Still no dual Maya & XSI license. Autodesk now just don't reply to my support requests.
by Hirazi Blue
And I don't know if their "license server"-system is still active...
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

rray

Post by rray » 09 May 2019, 13:48

What might be worth a try too is if you install Maya from the 2017 version of the "Maya and Softimage" installer and Softimage from the 2016 Version of the installer (Softimage is the same but will probably use a different licensing token)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024