Sycles 1.7 is out for softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
wireframex

Sycles 1.7 is out for softimage

Post by wireframex » 22 Sep 2018, 15:27

https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesPage.html

- Builded with Cycles ver. 1.9 (commited at 17.09.2018)
- CPU and GPU rendering support
- Allows to render ICE-attributes of polygon meshes with context per-point or per-object
- Renders ICE-instances
- Renders ICE-strands as hairs
- Renders standrad XSI hairs
- Renders all Cycles passes (Combined, Depth, Mist, Normal etc.)
- Renders any volume objects (in particular OpenVDB, emFluid and Explosia FX)
- Saves output rendered images as multi-layer EXR
- Custom light primitives
- Geometry caching system
- OpenColorIO color profilies support with pre-builded Filmic config from Blender 2.79
- Shaderballs previews
- OSL-shaders support
- "How to..." manual with pictures
- HDR Master addon for manipulating by hdr-environments
- Shader packs

Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

owei
Administrator

Re: Sycles 1.7 is out for softimage

Post by owei » 23 Sep 2018, 09:13

Awesome! Thanks for sharing ..looking forward to test it!

Cheers,
Oli

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 26 Sep 2018, 09:03

Thanks!
really start to think use it in production.

acidkittens

Post by acidkittens » 27 Sep 2018, 13:10

This is so cool. Thank you :)

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Oct 2018, 15:17

hello.

i am considering either using Sycles either Mental Ray for my new Solo Feature.

at the moment i find Sycles to have less possibilities than Mental Ray, and to be more difficult less intuitive:

the texture projections seem more limited.(on flat, sphere, box and tube? no uv?)
the tile using vector mapping hard to get working
it seems not possible to project a video clip on a serie of polygons or even the side of a cube, am I wrong?
the transparency interface, the specular tweaking with the phong lambert mat.etc quite more easy of use in Mental Ray

the only positive stuff is the lighting seems softer, and i heard it was rendering faster.

will as well be considering using redshift but its not developed anymore, does that mean i cannot use an old redshift version with Softimage?

i am sorry to come here among you experts,
my way of working and using softimage is really like a classical artist would with oil, not like an engeneer with mathematics.

best regards,
mathyas

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 31 Oct 2018, 16:50

There are uv's. How to use it - tutorial 24 in the manual https://ssoftadd.github.io/manuals/sycl ... 18_eng.pdf

For tiling textures use the mapping shader node. It contains parameters for scale, rotation and shifting of the uv coordinates.

Video clips are not supported as textures. As I understand, the same is true for the Cycles in Blender. So, no possibilities to implement it in the Softimage.

Cycles render use PBR principles, which are different from old-school phong and lambert shaders. May be PrincipledBSDF shader looks more complicated, than simple MetalRay shaders, but this is standard for now. Also there are simple shader nodes in Sycles: DiffuseBSDF, GlossyBSDF ans so on, which can be used for simple materials.

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Oct 2018, 20:51

hi.
it seems PBR Sycles thus too difficult to use for me, and so I'll stick with Mental Ray (?)

fact is by this kind of answer i get to understand what i really need is to meet someone teach me a method offline
about how to deal with such issues such as the use of Nodes in3d.

mostly my problem sums up like this:
my method so far has been to experiment with whatever appeared within the interface of softimage;
now that with ICE and such PBR requiring Nodes,
its become impossible so far to experiment,
since I don't know with any given Node, to what other Node, and with what attribute to connect it with,
so that I can get a result that can be tested by a continuous experimentation.

<< my previous movie https://www.brokenvessels.xyz

best, regards
Mathyas

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 24 Nov 2018, 22:50

The integration is awesome.
Thanks a lot for this!
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 05 Dec 2018, 00:52

Integration is very good. But i found some eveident bug int he normal render of many meshes. The render is AWESOME and is a sin have these bugs that limit much the usage.
Where i can send the sample scene to allow the programmer to investigate and fix them?
Any way thank for the integration. I finally have a dream render!

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 05 Dec 2018, 17:30

Write me PM on this site. This will be enough.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 20 Dec 2018, 09:40

Hi, first of all , thank you for all the support. Cycles is doing "miracles" on my animations. Motion blur is SUPREME!
I would not be unpolished, can i ask about updates? A new 1.x is on the way? I ask with all the respect for your incredible work that have simply changed my entire project making it extremely better.. Now with cycles i render many time faster and with a quality that is like a photocamera. Simply amazing. Any way, thank you for this render.

Best :)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 21 Dec 2018, 17:10

I am sorry, but I don't understand your question. If you ask about updates of the Sycles project, then I can answer, that I don't know precise date or time. Small bug fixes are possible in short time, but integration of the new version of the Cycles is not easy. The reason in some third-party libraries that used by Cycles but can not be used inside Softimage. These difficulties can be avoided and I plan to make updates in the future, but simply don't know when it will happens.

And yes, if you find some errors, crashes, bug and so on, then write me, and I will try to fix it.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 21 Dec 2018, 18:29

i was meaning small bugs. Of course.
Thank you any way for you patience,
Best :)

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 04 Jan 2019, 10:56

Now that i learned all about CYCLES in XSI, i have to say simply that is THE BEST XSI render. Nothing compare speed and quality. I'm sorry for octane and friends, for redshift and company, but cycles is superior in all. I reccomand every one to try it. At the start can appear tricky but when you do the right stuff, is simply easyer and superior to the others. (that's my opinion) :)

Nolan

Post by Nolan » 05 Jan 2019, 23:41

Version 1.5 of the Cycles Encyclopedia has been released. The ebook now covers all features of Cycles up until Blender 2.79b and spans more than 300 pages in A4.

The Cycles Encyclopedia is an in-depth book covering all nodes and settings of the Cycles render engine. It's a professional documentation project by the Blender experts Frederik Steinmetz & Gottfried Hofmann, both Blender Foundation Certified Trainers.

Detailed explanation of every node and setting in Cycles
Graphics and drawings explaining how the nodes work internally
Pre-rendered comparisons of node settings
Bonus chapters on render performance, camera settings and Python snippets to use with Cycles
Find out how a path tracer works internally and how to use that knowledge to your advantage
eBook in PDF format (319 pages A4) - compatible with most e-reader devices, smartphones and tablets.
More than 300 figures and images
Available in both English and German
Blender version: 2.79b

50% of the price go to the Blender Institute to fund further development of Cycles and Blender when ordered via the Blender.org e-store.
Lifetime free updates - subscribe to our newsletter to get notified of each update.

https://store.blender.org/product/cycles-encyclopedia/
Nolan
Second Nature Ltd
www.2ndNature.co.nz

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 08 Jan 2019, 18:46

Sycles 1.7.2
I noted there is a little bug with Render Region and UV map refresh ;)

Sorry not a bug just need to uncheck the cache mesh in the Render Region options --> Thanks Shekn for the very quick reply ^:)^

Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory