Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
wireframex

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 08 May 2019, 21:41

@Shekn :

I tried HDRMaster but I saw it doesn't cast shadow at all. Could you tell me if it's normal or not ?

I suppose the best way is to use SkyTexture.

Thanks
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 09 May 2019, 19:16

HDRMaster is actually only a preset for using hdr-maps as environment light. When background light is created, it does not link to any hdr-map. In this case this map is solid white. The render result in the first picture. But when I select any hdr-map from the library, then this map start using as background light source. The render on the second picture. If the hdr-map contains contrast sun, then there is visible shadow on the render. If the hdr-map is not contrast, then it looks like soft ambient light.
Attachments
pic_01.png
pic_02.png

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 09 May 2019, 20:38

Thanks a lot :)

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 01 Jun 2019, 01:33

I'm having issues when using alpha/opacity maps. Can you show me the proper nodal setup when using the cycmixclosure and transparent bsdf shader ?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 Jun 2019, 07:23

Here the screen with typical setup:

viewtopic.php?p=61380#p61380

If you have some problems or something works wrong - post here the screenshot with your shader tree and render result.

i.m.p

Post by i.m.p » 01 Jun 2019, 22:42

Thanks for the input. I also found this to be quite helpful:
https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures/how ... in-blender

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 03 Jun 2019, 18:48

This is so frikken cool! I feel I am not waisting my time with Blender, since I can also jump and work with the same shader tree from blender to softimage.
You know what this marvelous Sycles is missing? a GUI export/import of .blend cycles materials.
But I guess that´s a lot of intertwained .dlls to tweak on softimage side to "open" a .blend and navigate to their "materials" folder and pickup whatever shadertree it needs. :)
But hey... who knows? :)

I ask of this because of online render farms. If there was only a chance to tell old Online render farms who previously supported Softimage, that they can use this open source SYCLES materials and render engines, we would wake up some renders even faster.

Right now, as it is, Sycles speed is limited by the amount of Vram and Cores your actual system has.
If you want a speedier setup, there´s no renderfarm because of EOL.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 04 Jun 2019, 09:07

You can import material from Blender to Softimage by using this addon: https://ssoftadd.github.io/gesPage.html

But not from Softimage to Blender, because this direction in future plans.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 01 Jul 2019, 20:08

Awesome! Thank you!

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 08 Jul 2019, 08:40

Hi, i have found a bug, can i write in private or i describe it here? :)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 08 Jul 2019, 11:47

Write me to PM.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 20 Jul 2019, 18:42

Small update. Version 1.7.8, download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Syc ... 8.xsiaddon

Update contains realization of two small feature requests:
1. Add additional formats for output of a rendered images. Now render result can be saved in the following ldr formats: png, bmp, tga, sgi, iff, jpg, jp2, ppm, and following hdr formats: tiff, exr, dpx, fits, hdr, rla, pfm.

2. Add support for rendering image sequences as textures. ImageTexture and EnvironmentTexture nodes contains additional parameter "Image Source". If this parameter is equal to "Single Image", then the render engine use selected texture. But if this parameter is equal to "Image Sequence", then some additional parameters appear, and render engine use different texture for different frames. File for selected texture should have the name similar to "someTexture_1.png" or "someTexture.1.png". It's important that there is a section at the end of the name with a number, and this section separated by "." or "_". Then this number will be replaced by frame number.
Attachments
image_sequnces.png
formats.png
formats.png (59.82 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Jul 2019, 19:55

Thanks a lot :)

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 30 Jul 2019, 17:51

Open Image Denoise V1.0

Changes in v1.0.0:
- Improved denoising quality
- More details preserved
- Less artifacts (e.g. noisy spots, color bleeding with albedo/normal)
- Added maxMemoryMB filter parameter for limiting the maximum memory consumption regardless of the image resolution, potentially at the cost of lower denoising speed. This is internally implemented by denoising the image in tiles
- Significantly reduced memory consumption (but slightly lower performance) for high resolutions (> 2K) by default: limited to about 6 GB
- Added alignment and overlap filter parameters that can be queried for manual tiled denoising
- Added verbose device parameter for setting the verbosity of the console output, and disabled all console output by default-
- Fixed crash for zero-sized images

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 19 Aug 2019, 19:10

Update 1.8. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Sycles_1.8.xsiaddon

What's new:
1. Compiled with the latest version of the Cycles. So, now Sycles contains all bugfixes and improvements of the original Cycles.
2. Area lights now supports elliptic shapes.
3. All lights contains parameter "power", which allows to change light intensity without changing shader parameters. In particular, it allows to use several lights with different intensity but with the common shader.
4. Two new nodes for the shader tree: Map Range and Clamp.
5. Output Cryptomatte passes. How to use - tutorial 30 in the manual.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 19 Aug 2019, 19:36

Thanks a lot Shekn :)

Tell me what do you think about e-cycles https://evermotion.org/articles/show/11 ... in-blender ?