Buy Softimage!

News concerning 3D DCC business
jill.ramsay

Re: Buy Softimage!

Post by jill.ramsay » 01 Dec 2014, 04:59

Hi guys,
I'm truly sorry that we haven't been as clear as we should have been on this. We are actively in the process of updating the FAQ.

Just to recap:

If you wish to purchase new or additional seats of Softimage 2015 you can do so by purchasing either the Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These offerings are available via your local reseller and cannot be purchased through the Autodesk e-store. Each transition offering, Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage, can be purchased for the same price as a standalone license of Maya or 3ds Max.

Please note that after Feb 1, 2016 customers will no longer be able to purchase or rent new Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage Softimage licenses from Autodesk.

These licenses are valid indefinitely. Small caveat: should you choose to upgrade the licences post Feb 1, 2016, by upgrading or being on subscription (upgrades are going away Feb 1, 2015) and activating the newer releases, your license will eventually transition into a 3ds Max or Maya license. If you remain on subs, you will continue to be able to access Softimage via the subscription center. If you transition your bundle license to a Maya or Max license, and do not remain on subs, your legal entitlement to use Softimage will no longer exist.

Hope this helps,
Jill

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Dec 2014, 09:50

@Jill,
Let me repeat myself (gladly): You are IMHO the best "thing" (by far) coming from Autodesk in a very long time… :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 01 Dec 2014, 12:21

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Jill,
Let me repeat myself (gladly): You are IMHO the best "thing" (by far) coming from Autodesk in a very long time… :-bd
I agree Hirazi. She's been very helpful and this for me is excellent news as I have a little more time to gather money and buy Softimage.

Thanks Jill for taking the time and clarifying things for us. Really appreciated!

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 01 Dec 2014, 15:53

Aw shucks, guys, that is very kind, I'm just doing my job and more than happy to help where I can!

Jill

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Dec 2014, 18:08

It's a common misconception that those who "just' do their job, deserve no praise... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 01 Dec 2014, 23:36

Yes indeed(!) thanks so much for your efforts!

And I don' think the caveat should matter so much since I think it would mostly generally be to get the last version of Soft,
and/or while also to perhaps get the last (perpetual) ver of 3DS or Maya,
in which either/both cases, subs/transitions wouldn't be so important.

In any event, the fact that it's *at-all* possible is very appreciated! :ymsmug:

cheers!

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 02 Dec 2014, 05:29

:-) cheers indeed.

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 02 Dec 2014, 15:31

Wow, so either Max+Soft or Maya+Soft for US $3675? That's not bad at all!
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 02 Dec 2014, 15:49

That's correct, Tim, it's a bundle license, like a suite.

Jill

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 Dec 2014, 22:56

jill.ramsay wrote:Hi guys,
I'm truly sorry that we haven't been as clear as we should have been on this. We are actively in the process of updating the FAQ.

Just to recap:

If you wish to purchase new or additional seats of Softimage 2015 you can do so by purchasing either the Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These offerings are available via your local reseller and cannot be purchased through the Autodesk e-store. Each transition offering, Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage, can be purchased for the same price as a standalone license of Maya or 3ds Max.

Please note that after Feb 1, 2016 customers will no longer be able to purchase or rent new Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage Softimage licenses from Autodesk.

These licenses are valid indefinitely. Small caveat: should you choose to upgrade the licences post Feb 1, 2016, by upgrading or being on subscription (upgrades are going away Feb 1, 2015) and activating the newer releases, your license will eventually transition into a 3ds Max or Maya license. If you remain on subs, you will continue to be able to access Softimage via the subscription center. If you transition your bundle license to a Maya or Max license, and do not remain on subs, your legal entitlement to use Softimage will no longer exist.

Hope this helps,
Jill
Hi Jill,

I have a question in regards to your "caveat" you stated above. I might have misunderstood what you wrote versus what I have been told, but I just want to clarify your last statement in the quote. I have been on Subs for a long time (still am) and I was originally on Softimage Subs. I took the migration offer to go to the Maya+Softimage bundle while still being on Softimage Subs. What I was told from multiple people and my reseller, and I believe Luceric also posted on here a while ago, that my Softimage 2015 license is for me to keep and use in a perpetual state indefinitely, regardless if I continue to stay on Subs or not. Currently, I am on Subs until later this year, if at that time or after, I decide to stop using Subs I get the latest version of Softimage 2015 and the last version of Maya that was available to me while I was on Subscription - indefinitely in a perpetual state.

Is my above statement correct? Because your last sentence seems to be different from what I was told, or is your statement only in regards to people who purchase the Maya/Max + Softimage now and decide to upgrade after Feb 2016?

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 03 Dec 2014, 23:06

Hi there,
This is really complicated, I'm sorry.

Because this is designed to be a 'transition' bundle, if you stay on subs and install all of the upgrades, eventually (post Feb 1 2016) your Maya + Softimage license will become a Maya license. While you're on subs, you'll be able to continue to be able to use Softimage as part of your subs entitlement as 'previous version usage'. All good.

If you come off subs prior to Feb 1, 2016, you can continue to use both your Maya and Softimage licences in perpetuity. All good.

Here's the caveat scenario: If you drop subs after Feb 1, 2016, that's when there's a problem, since (assuming you've installed your upgrades) you have now fully transitioned your license to a Maya only license, but no longer have access to the subs center to access previous versions. Now it is my understanding that your Softimage license will technically still work, but that legally you wouldn't be covered by the license agreement. I can't imagine anyone ever coming after you for that though.

I hope that helps to clear things up, if not feel free to ask again!

Cheers,
Jill

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 Dec 2014, 23:30

jill.ramsay wrote:Hi there,
This is really complicated, I'm sorry.

Because this is designed to be a 'transition' bundle, if you stay on subs and install all of the upgrades, eventually (post Feb 1 2016) your Maya + Softimage license will become a Maya license. While you're on subs, you'll be able to continue to be able to use Softimage as part of your subs entitlement as 'previous version usage'. All good.

If you come off subs prior to Feb 1, 2016, you can continue to use both your Maya and Softimage licences in perpetuity. All good.

Here's the caveat scenario: If you drop subs after Feb 1, 2016, that's when there's a problem, since (assuming you've installed your upgrades) you have now fully transitioned your license to a Maya only license, but no longer have access to the subs center to access previous versions. Now it is my understanding that your Softimage license will technically still work, but that legally you wouldn't be covered by the license agreement. I can't imagine anyone ever coming after you for that though.

I hope that helps to clear things up, if not feel free to ask again!

Cheers,
Jill
Thank you Jill for clarifying that, however, that is a very big issue and was not properly explained, actually I believe that things have changed, as I asked specially my scenario upon taking the transition. So Autodesk is now forcing me to stay on Subs past Feb. 2016 if I still want to use Softimage legally? What happened to the 2 years time bomb that was originally stated at the beginning - it seems like that has now come back in an altered state... I paid a lot of money for the initial Softimage purchase and many years of Subs after that, and now you are telling us that if we stop Subs after Feb 2016, I can no longer legally use Softimage?

Autodesk needs to definitely revisit this issue, because that is not what I was told. Why would I want to migrate to Maya/Max if I knew that I could no longer use Softimage if I stopped Subs. Prior usage was stated to be for use of the last released version of that software, not sneakingly create a 'bundle' to get people to transition over and then consider Softimage a prior usage...anything prior to Softimage 2015 I can understand, but not granting legal usage of 2015 as the last complete version, is a trick by Autodesk.

The scenario I considered that if I stopped my Subs after 2018, I would get Maya 2018 and Softimage 2015 to use in a perpetual state indefinitely...

Can you please clarify this thread http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 020#p44279 as others stated the same question. Luceric's response at the bottom of the first page seems to clarify exactly what I stated, but yours seems to be different.

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 03 Dec 2014, 23:46

You don't have to stay on subs to use Softimage in perpetuity, but if you're going to drop off subs you should do it before fully transitioning your license to a Maya-only license. I'd suggest you install any upgrades prior to Feb 1, 2016, but not after then if you plan to come off subs. If you're going to stay on subs, it's not a problem. At end of the transition period you choose whether to keep your current version of Soft and Maya indefinitely, or go on upgrading Maya. Ultimately it's your choice whether to complete the transition or stay with Softimage 2015 and whatever is then the current version of Maya (or be on subs and do both).

BTW the two year period relates to the period of time during which these transition offerings are made available - Feb 2014 to Feb 2016.

Here's some more detail that might help:

A customer can choose to fully transition to Maya or 3ds Max standalone (or not).
At the end of the transition period the customer will need to make a decision on whether they wish to fully transition to Maya or 3ds Max (or not). After February 1, 2016 any future versions of Maya or 3ds Max (depending on their transition choice) will be issued as Maya-only or 3ds Max-only licenses. These licenses will replace the bundle licenses if they upgrade. This is because after Feb 1st 2016 Autodesk will no longer develop, test or release dual software builds of Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage. After Feb 1st 2016, as long as a customer does not activate any new licenses for 3ds Max or Maya they can continue to use their bundle license indefinitely (thereby not completing the full transition). However, even if they do choose to fully transition to 3ds Max or Maya, they will still be able to access Softimage 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 as part of their Subscription entitlement and licenses issued are perpetual.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Your reseller has access to this information, although I appreciate it is very complicated. I don't make the rules, unfortunately.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 Dec 2014, 23:54

jill.ramsay wrote:You don't have to stay on subs to use Softimage in perpetuity, but if you're going to drop off subs you should do it before fully transitioning your license to a Maya-only license. I'd suggest you install any upgrades prior to Feb 1, 2016, but not after then if you plan to come off subs. If you're going to stay on subs, it's not a problem. At end of the transition period you choose whether to keep your current version of Soft and Maya indefinitely, or go on upgrading Maya. Ultimately it's your choice whether to complete the transition or stay with Softimage 2015 and whatever is then the current version of Maya (or be on subs and do both).

BTW the two year period relates to the period of time during which these transition offerings are made available - Feb 2014 to Feb 2016.

Here's some more detail that might help:

A customer can choose to fully transition to Maya or 3ds Max standalone (or not).
At the end of the transition period the customer will need to make a decision on whether they wish to fully transition to Maya or 3ds Max (or not). After February 1, 2016 any future versions of Maya or 3ds Max (depending on their transition choice) will be issued as Maya-only or 3ds Max-only licenses. These licenses will replace the bundle licenses if they upgrade. This is because after Feb 1st 2016 Autodesk will no longer develop, test or release dual software builds of Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage. After Feb 1st 2016, as long as a customer does not activate any new licenses for 3ds Max or Maya they can continue to use their bundle license indefinitely (thereby not completing the full transition). However, even if they do choose to fully transition to 3ds Max or Maya, they will still be able to access Softimage 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 as part of their Subscription entitlement and licenses issued are perpetual.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Your reseller has access to this information, although I appreciate it is very complicated. I don't make the rules, unfortunately.
I'm sorry Jill, but it is not like I am asking to hear something I want to hear, it is that we are being told different things now. Did you get a chance to read the link in my post? Can you explain that, because what was stated there in the first line of Luceric's response at the bottom of the first page is exactly what I am stating...yours is not the same...
luceric wrote:if you cancel your subscription, you'll have the right to only run the last version of each product, that means the latest build of Maya 20xx , and Softimage 2015. whether you cancel sub in 2015 or in 2020, same thing. no need to be on sub to continue to use Softimage 2015.

you'll lose access to the download center, so you'll have to make a copy of your licenses and software before your subscription ends.

The options that end in 2016 are the migration options (the max or maya offers).
From what I understand by Luceric's response, and which I was told by others including my reseller, that if I decide to run Subs until 2020 and stop after that, I can. At that point I will still get legal access to Maya 2020 and Softimage 2015 in a full perpetual legal state - indefinitely...

You also have the same responses on that thread as well, more than once actually, but I think one quote suffices...
jill.ramsay wrote:Yes. If you choose to migrate, your current Softimage license is no longer valid and is replaced by a Maya/Softimage or 3ds Max/Softimage bundle license. That license is yours indefinitely. If you drops subs, you'll be able to use the current version of Maya/Max and the current version of Softimage (2015) at the time you drop off. You will not be able to use earlier versions, as that is a subscription benefit.

Does that help?

We are working to clarify the FAQ.

Best,
Jill

jill.ramsay

Post by jill.ramsay » 04 Dec 2014, 00:18

Maybe I have it wrong, let me double-check with the powers that be.

Jill

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Dec 2014, 00:29

jill.ramsay wrote:Maybe I have it wrong, let me double-check with the powers that be.

Jill
Thank you Jill. I appreciate your attentiveness to this issue and I look forward to hearing your reply.