Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:36

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Kzin » 04 Mar 2014, 14:58

Eugen wrote:
Kzin wrote:this is not a suprise. with the known maya direction and the si ice team going to maya it was clear that si will not live that long because maya is getting all the features that let si stand out.
If only it was so simple. We wouldn't be talking (and swearing) here if it was. Making Maya as artist-friendly as XSI is something yet to be proven. At the moment, there are worlds between.
it was and it is. the ice dev in the last years prooves that too. the si users in general were to optimistic, thats the problem now. they were all happy enough with the current dev, otherwise they would not payed for sub or start to react in other ways. i think its also a good thing that si goes, perhaps the users will put more energy on feedback and critique for other tools. the devs need pressure from the userbase to improve the tools and its functions. without it, it will end like here with si.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 12:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 15:09

Kzin wrote:
Eugen wrote:
Kzin wrote:this is not a suprise. with the known maya direction and the si ice team going to maya it was clear that si will not live that long because maya is getting all the features that let si stand out.
If only it was so simple. We wouldn't be talking (and swearing) here if it was. Making Maya as artist-friendly as XSI is something yet to be proven. At the moment, there are worlds between.
it was and it is. the ice dev in the last years prooves that too. the si users in general were to optimistic, thats the problem now. they were all happy enough with the current dev, otherwise they would not payed for sub or start to react in other ways. i think its also a good thing that si goes, perhaps the users will put more energy on feedback and critique for other tools. the devs need pressure from the userbase to improve the tools and its functions. without it, it will end like here with si.
Some Phoenix is going to arise from XSI's ashes, eventually. Let's see who is that smart - someone not Autodesk, I'd expect.

vektrex
Posts: 12
Joined: 03 Apr 2012, 00:17

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by vektrex » 04 Mar 2014, 15:17

Thruth is things went wrong since the aquisition from avid.
We all know the Autodesk policy of buy and suppress.
Of course ICE and Arnold saved the day for the last years, but it wasn't enough.

I'm not switching to maya, and I think we would let autodesk know we never will.
I'm thinking on doing only compositing works or start learning houdini, since it's the only technology advanced package besides softimage.

Or moving to blender for its marketing free policy.

vektrex
Posts: 12
Joined: 03 Apr 2012, 00:17

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by vektrex » 04 Mar 2014, 15:26

Or we would put money together (or fund raise) to buy softimage and free it from the software corporations greed.
It would be OPEN SOURCE SOFTIMAGE FROM THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE!! :))

User avatar
KLONOA WORKS
Posts: 41
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 13:21

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 04 Mar 2014, 15:34

vektrex wrote:Or we would put money together (or fund raise) to buy softimage and free it from the software corporations greed.
It would be OPEN SOURCE SOFTIMAGE FROM THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE!! :))
I really wish that .
I really hope someone take it from the stupid AD.

and I am ready if this plan happen .

adrencg
Posts: 190
Joined: 05 May 2012, 00:50

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by adrencg » 04 Mar 2014, 15:37

KLONOA WORKS wrote:
vektrex wrote:Or we would put money together (or fund raise) to buy softimage and free it from the software corporations greed.
It would be OPEN SOURCE SOFTIMAGE FROM THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE!! :))
I really wish that .
I really hope someone take it from the stupid AD.

and I am ready if this plan happen .
They won't sell Softimage. It would defeat the entire purpose of their acquisition. What's happening to Softimage now was the general plan...if it had become a money maker for them, then that would have been a nice bonus -- but the main intent was to get Softimage out of circulation. They're so transparent it's not even funny.

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 826
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 17:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by owei » 04 Mar 2014, 15:37

Guys, please give up daydreaming. AD will never ever sell something..!! It´s all about patents and knowledge, that is their capital. They won´t let anything go!

vektrex
Posts: 12
Joined: 03 Apr 2012, 00:17

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by vektrex » 04 Mar 2014, 15:41

I know.
Sadly.

OzAdi
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 13:13

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by OzAdi » 04 Mar 2014, 15:47

adrencg wrote:
OzAdi wrote:I am sure the a$$holes who decided to retire softimage, never had to learn how to work with a software more complicated then Word or Outlook..
I am working daily and earning money with softimage since 1997, that's 17 years, and I still have a lot to learn. now AD threw away all those years of learning, telling me
at age 40 I need to start learning a different, less capable, less friendly software... who's gonna pay me for the huge amount of time it'll take me to learn Crapa or 3DS Crapx??????
You can use Softimage for the next few years. We have 2014, then 2015 will be new version. That can hold you (and me) until at least 2020.
not sure about 2020, but next 3 years are ok.. we are still on 2013 sp2, for us 2014 was only worth for Syflex improvements.. but we didn't upgrade.
2015 has to be very temping for us to upgrade.. otherwise I don't see a reason to upgrade and pay more money to AD.

My hope is that in the next 2-3 years Houdini will improve its weaker areas, as currently this is the only option I can think of in the future.
We are in the middle of the process of making lists of software and plugins we need to upgrade/purchase, we were supposed to upgrade 2 existing softimage 2013, and purchase additional 3-4 Softimage licenses.. but that is probably not going to happen now. we'll probably stay with 2013.

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 856
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 20:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Draise » 04 Mar 2014, 16:12

Sounds like a troll article to me.. :-q

Sil3
Posts: 54
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 23:17

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Sil3 » 04 Mar 2014, 16:19

For Modeling/Mograph and FX work there are alternatives to AD products... but for Character Animation its Maya or... I really hope Foundry will get Modo into a real competitive state ASAP

User avatar
AlexanderM
Posts: 28
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 17:13

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by AlexanderM » 04 Mar 2014, 16:50

Webcache Link
Last edited by AlexanderM on 04 Mar 2014, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 05:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 16:50

Sil3 wrote:For Modeling/Mograph and FX work there are alternatives to AD products... but for Character Animation its Maya or... I really hope Foundry will get Modo into a real competitive state ASAP
TheFoundry and SideFX have until April 2016.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
mc_axe
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 18:44

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by mc_axe » 04 Mar 2014, 16:55

From the depths of my Softimage heart here it comes AD:

Image
They dropped the artificial super child from the feature in coma because it had weird eyes (weird ice).
They managed to put on hold all the 3d inovations on the planet for a while, (till others catch up)

Serius achivments from a huge company!

Clap Clap

The same company that was LIGHT YEARS behind , when Avid and Alias was UP.
the competition will r the f out of them.. soon and i will be there to quote my self.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 268
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 03:08

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 Mar 2014, 16:58

Ironically, I'm running low on toilet paper. Now, autodesk can officially kiss my ass.

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1006
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 15:45

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Maximus » 04 Mar 2014, 16:59

I dont think AD plans end here. They will probably axe 3ds max and maya too later on, while building a new 3d package. Maya is too old to compete with next gen softwares like modo/nuke/houdini.

So expect in few years a ned 3d package, thats my bet.