Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
julius

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by julius » 04 Mar 2014, 22:32

I'll never give any money to autodesk anymore. If I want to continue to use Softimage, I'll crack it, that's all. The same for max or maya if I have to.

X(

aaronkent

Post by aaronkent » 04 Mar 2014, 22:35

I'd like to just send out a big thank you to the Softimage dev team of past and present along with anyone that was ever part of product support at whatever company S3D/XSI/Softimage lived at. I've used it in a small capacity in my job/work since around 1998 and it literally feels like I have lost a friend. Although my work isn't likely to push me in the Fabric Engine realm, I'd like to thank those guys, as I think they were the ones most responsible for ICE. I failed high school math and could never get my head around anything in the realm of algebra let alone coding. ICE was a big thing for me and helped me grow leaps and bounds (as a learning tool and a tool for getting my 3D stuff completed, AE expressions written, etc) For that, thank you.

The people at Autodesk that are responsible for these decisions really aren't worth bothering about. I smell their fear and know it's origins. Their reasoning and gambles have nothing to do with creative spirit, individualism or respect for a modern technological ecosystem.

Cheers

Aaron Kent
Last edited by aaronkent on 04 Mar 2014, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 04 Mar 2014, 22:35

Maurice states "these conditions were imposed by the revenue accounting guidelines we follow."

What a load of horseshit! X(

kaizer_soze

Post by kaizer_soze » 04 Mar 2014, 22:48

2008 - Mark Petit: "Autodesk intends to continue developing and selling Softimage’s core product line ..."

2012 – “Autodesk denies intent to kill off 3ds Max, Softimage”
http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/09/autode ... softimage/

2014 – “SoftImage 2015 to be last release”

Sadly, it was obvious from the begining !

@ Bellsey and Luc-Eric - thank you, for your input in this community and wish you finding a less hypocrite company to work at.

Boycott Autodesk !!!
Attachments
LIE-todesk.jpg
Last edited by kaizer_soze on 04 Mar 2014, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 04 Mar 2014, 22:49

Since Autod€$k acquired Softimage was well know the destiny of Softi. A great and excellent software is killed by a huge marketing company camouflaged of development software entrerprise.

Autod€$k have a lot of years scalping the same software (AutoCad and 3dsMax) two obsolete applications.
Keep falling dead also great software from Discreet like Flame.
Autod€$k is also, together with Adobe, two enterprises that was promoted piracy seeding to the underground internet with 'free' versions of your software at beginnings, and today is continued this practice.

From they say "move to 3ds Max or to Mata". I say, what is the confidence to an user to choose a software of Autod€$k? And whats is the warranties for a company or creative/vfx/film...studio to choose any software package from this company?
Acquiring and killing one of the most powerful 3D application, shows the philosophy of Autod€$k.

And, what think about Autod€$k, companies like Solidangle, ChaosGroup, Otoy, and others rendering engine developers that put efforts and lots of money to develop it software to Softimage?

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 23:17

FabricPaul wrote:Brad is posting on the 3DPro list - nothing about any special deals though. Just a bit of discussion around what Modo has to offer outside of modelling, and asking where people would like to see The Foundry focus. That and lots of people reminiscing about when they first used Soft.
Can you post that 3dpro link, please? I'd like to get in touch with the Modo guys, too.
Thanks!

Dwindleflip

Post by Dwindleflip » 04 Mar 2014, 23:23

Autodicks

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 04 Mar 2014, 23:29

I have only this to say to Autodesk:
Hidden content: [ Show ]
ydiw.png

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 04 Mar 2014, 23:35

Hi Eugen - 3Dpro is a closed list, so you have to be invited to join it. If you ask around your work acquaintances I expect you'll find someone that can bring you in (it's a personal recommendation thing, so you have to actually know who you invite - otherwise I'd do it myself).

Best way to contact Modo is probably Brad: https://twitter.com/bradpeebler

Paul

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 23:52

FabricPaul wrote:Hi Eugen - 3Dpro is a closed list, so you have to be invited to join it. If you ask around your work acquaintances I expect you'll find someone that can bring you in (it's a personal recommendation thing, so you have to actually know who you invite - otherwise I'd do it myself).

Best way to contact Modo is probably Brad: https://twitter.com/bradpeebler

Paul
Thanks a lot, Paul! I'm just a small freelancer trying to find his way in the universe... don't know whom to ask.
Modo's lack of proceduralism/operator stack/modeling relations is the dealbreaker, as I see it, and I'd like to know what the chances are that Modo will ever get this. (already asked about this in their forum, but that didn't reach by any devs with insight to the low-level stuff)
Best,
Eugen

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Mar 2014, 23:56

I'd like to try ZBrush. But not sure how intuitive it is to learn compared to softimage

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 05 Mar 2014, 00:00

Brad is generally responsive, but he might be a bit overloaded with disgruntled Softies so give him a bit of time.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » 05 Mar 2014, 00:05

Heartbreaking, though it was pretty clear autodesk had the intention to kill Softimage from the beginning, but I ignored it.
I really had high hopes for Softimage since there were many great ICE plugins coming out and new rendering solutions...
Just spent the last three years learning every bit of Softimage, even scripting and creating plugins for it and now I have to try to transfer all this knowledge into another soft but a lot of work and experience gets lost because AD doesn't care about its customers.

Softimage has some of the fastest workflows for modelling, hopefully some of that will be transferred to other software and perhaps ICE is now going to Maya?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 05 Mar 2014, 00:20

Shredder565 wrote:I'd like to try ZBrush. But not sure how intuitive it is to learn compared to softimage
I'm not sure how to respond to this. Let me first ask you what are your needs. Is it modeling? If that's the case a discussion can take place, otherwise we're talking about two very different applications intended for very different purposes.

Zbrush is NOT intuitive to learn. Modeling (as in sculpting) however it's extremely powerful as you can probably tell by visiting their community.
Once you learn how to use it you'll never want to use anything else, much like Softimage. :)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 05 Mar 2014, 00:21

FabricPaul wrote:Brad is generally responsive, but he might be a bit overloaded with disgruntled Softies so give him a bit of time.
Of course. If he's got any sense (which I bet), he'll recognize this as an opportunity.
Cheers!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Mar 2014, 01:13

McNistor wrote:
Shredder565 wrote:I'd like to try ZBrush. But not sure how intuitive it is to learn compared to softimage
I'm not sure how to respond to this. Let me first ask you what are your needs. Is it modeling? If that's the case a discussion can take place, otherwise we're talking about two very different applications intended for very different purposes.

Zbrush is NOT intuitive to learn. Modeling (as in sculpting) however it's extremely powerful as you can probably tell by visiting their community.
Once you learn how to use it you'll never want to use anything else, much like Softimage. :)
yep, the modelling side only. I think that looks like a fun program to learn, especially when I invest in a 3D printer in the future :)