Having a controls setup to work like Rotate Global?

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
probiner

Having a controls setup to work like Rotate Global?

Post by probiner » 24 May 2014, 02:46

Just curious if it's possible to have a rig behave like Rotate Global. Meaning the rotation on the object will always happen on the world plane and not local.

Cheers

EricTRocks

Re: Having a controls setup to work like Rotate Global?

Post by EricTRocks » 24 May 2014, 17:25

You can switch the rotation manipulator to use global instead of local...
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

probiner

Post by probiner » 25 May 2014, 12:39

Hey Eric
Yes, that's what I have on the right side, showing the manipulator at work with Global. (Z axis being rotated and X axis keeping it's pose)

My question was if I could have 2 independent controllers, one rotating on X global and another rotating on Z global, always. What I got from my attempts is that there's always an implicit "rotation order" XZ or ZX and the the first coordinate always gets un-aligned with the global coordinate (becomes a local rotation) like in a normal euler system.
I didn't want euler rotations. Just straight up "this controller rotates on X global and this controller rotates on Z global", in a rig, not the manipulator. And the latter, I understand it's easier to setup since it resets after each manipulation.

Again, this is out of curiosity :P

Cheers

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 27 May 2014, 11:17

You could have a parent null and the rig controller being the child of this parent. Then force the parent null to stay synchronized with the world's rotation axis, by expressions.
But the question is: why do you want global rotation axis on a control object? In XSi everything works better with local transformations.

Jho

Post by Jho » 18 Jul 2014, 07:30

grendizer wrote: But the question is: why do you want global rotation axis on a control object? In XSi everything works better with local transformations.
To avoid gimbal lock?

I just woke up and only tried this really quickly but it seems like it could work if you don't parent the object under the controllers but rather position constrain it and then tie the object's rotation to the controlles' rotations with expressions? (local>global). I guess you should set the controlles' rotation orders so that the axis they control is the highest.

Anyways, there's probably a problem with this that I'm just too tired to see at the moment. Hope you'll get it working.