New Gear backwards compatibility question

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Filmguy

New Gear backwards compatibility question

Post by Filmguy » 10 Oct 2013, 16:25

Hi Guys. Just a question. Ive noticed the new Gear MC rigging system thats available.
Were halfway through a project with a few characters rigged in the older system but I'm curious to upgrade to the new one.
Would the new system still be backwards compatible with older rigs?

Thank You.

Daniel Brassard

Re: New Gear backwards compatibility question

Post by Daniel Brassard » 10 Oct 2013, 17:21

From Miquel Campos on the mailing list:
This version is replacing the original GEAR. The guides and rigs should be compatible. I will prepare today some videos of how to install it or switch between the 2 version if is needed. Also the xml need to be regenerated to handle the colours of the controls.

The only issue that I found was with the xml templates. You need to generate it with the original GEAR. Later save the guide as a model/scene. Reload Gear_mc and re-export the guide to an xml template.

This will avoid an error at loading time with the color in the controls. If you already have controls stored in the guide all the controls will turn grey when you generate the rig.
Use the wireframe color tool and extract the controls from the rig to the guide. This action will re-color your guide for future use :)
Videos on TD Survival

http://vimeo.com/tdsurvival

On TDSurvival

1 hour ago
commented on gear_mc - 005 - New Solvers!
Hi Miquel. Looks fantastic. Would the new version of Gear be backwards compatible with the older versions rigs? Were currently halfway through a project but with characters rigged in the older version.

50 minutes ago
Miquel Campos commented on gear_mc - 005 - New Solvers!
Yes it should be compatible. But test the rigs before ;)
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

colour

Re: New Gear backwards compatibility question

Post by colour » 17 Oct 2013, 12:30

I have done just that. The rigs which I'd rigged up in Gear originally seem to work fine for the most part in Gear_mc. Some issues have been:
- The shape tools which I love, don't work anymore for me (on both computers we have tried it).
- syntax error message when I open up the synoptic, but still works.
- mirror pose is working for translation on my characters but not rotation
- my guides don't work but I haven't implemented Miquel's suggested changes