ROSE RIGGING

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
hidalgo

ROSE RIGGING

Post by hidalgo » 25 Jul 2013, 12:33

Hello people,

i am trying to find out the best way to have a rose to be carried from a character during lots of shots, the rose it hugelike from a human hip to toes, lets say something like the size of an umbrella or a regular stick.

I have tried with normal bone rigging, mt springs, ice springs and meshless deformation, but the situations are two wide and i need a flexible solution, the rose need to be fluffy and react to gravity and so on.

If anybody as some ideas to share would be really apreciated.
thanks

Helli

Re: ROSE RIGGING

Post by Helli » 25 Jul 2013, 16:55

I would build a normal rig for it with some springs in it.

why did mt_spring not work ?
You got gravity and the possibilitie to blend between animation and simulation so that should give you the control oyu need no ?

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 25 Jul 2013, 17:12

unfortunatly mt spring doesnt consider collisions and secondly mt spring doesnt give that "fluffy" look i am after for the petals and its almost uncontrollable.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 25 Jul 2013, 17:21

I'd prob go with syflex for what you're describing, using a stiff version as a source shape and painting more flex in along the length of the petal. Avoiding self collision if poss though, just outer sections collide with external objects.

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 25 Jul 2013, 17:46

believe it or not i have tried with syflex too, but even syflex (with a mimic) seems to not give the type of controll i need, the stem for example, bounce like crazy all over the place as soon as you start moving it, due to the natural spring of syflex.

i would need something who can keep better the shape of the original rose, letting it look more like rubber or plastic more the a peace of cloth.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 25 Jul 2013, 17:56

Sorry I thought you were talking about the petals only - I wouldn't use syflex for the stem. mt_spring for any secondary stuff probably, and hand animating collisions (easy to blend in and out of sim using it anyway).

Moderator edit: this topic has been moved twice now, sorry - HB

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 26 Jul 2013, 13:27

i should try that way then cause any solution as provide not enough quality and control at the same time, i forgot to mention i used momentum too :D

Thanks for the tips, if anything else comes up i would be more then glad to hear it.