GEAR: dog rig rear leg issue

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
colour

GEAR: dog rig rear leg issue

Post by colour » 26 Jun 2013, 20:26

My GEAR dog rig's back legs don't behave expected. When I set the stretch value for the back legs to 1 and I move the IK control beyond full reach, the lower part of the leg stretches away with it, instead of staying put. If I put stretch to 1.5 I still get the same type of lower leg movement away, instead of a proper distributed stretch along the leg like the front legs. I also get flipping on the leg when rotating the ik foot controller, sometimes not even 90°. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

mattmos

Re: GEAR: dog rig rear leg issue

Post by mattmos » 21 Jul 2013, 22:00

Just came across this after searching for the same issue. I don't know if you're solved it yet, but I've found gear to be very particular about having things created on a certain axis. For the dog leg to stop the flipping if you create it purely from the side viewport so that its all vertically aligned, it should behave as expected. Not sure about your stretching issue though.

colour

Post by colour » 22 Jul 2013, 08:18

Thanks for the advice. No I never figured out my issue, so have been animating as best as I can with the rig as is.

colour

Post by colour » 28 Aug 2013, 11:52

Still sitting with this issue, if anyone might be able to 'shed' some light on it ;)

I'm now on some reptilian back legs, with the same issue as the dog. Instead of the foot not moving past it's full reach and the toes simply pointing as they should, it stretches away with the controller. I know I can just keep the controller within reach, but the issue is annoying.
Attachments
stretch.JPG
default.jpg