Face Robot: Lips do not deform properly on Face mesh.

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Jaxxson

Face Robot: Lips do not deform properly on Face mesh.

Post by Jaxxson » 20 Feb 2013, 22:02

Hello everyone.

I'm having a strange issue with the mouth on one of my characters.

After the solve process, I've gone in and tuned the mouth region to work with the geometry. When verifying the controllers deform the mesh properly, I found that the lips were really messed up when applying simple viseme poses. (See attachment)

I don't know where the mouth operator gets it's 'weighting' from. I've tried re-blending the ChinLine_StartOffset and JawTracker deformers, but those don't seem to affect the lips. Every other part of the face seems to have manual control over envelope blending except for the mouth.

I've also played around with the teeth collisons and it's helped in other ways, but didn't solve this particular problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or things I can try? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Attachments
LipDeformationIssue.jpg

hamed19

Re: Face Robot: Lips do not deform properly on Face mesh.

Post by hamed19 » 01 Dec 2013, 15:14

i have this problem too
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 23 Jan 2014, 15:11

Have you tried with the Sculpt option, or add a weightmap+smooth operator to that region of the lips?
It might work, but usually with Sculpt you might be able to solve this problem

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 04 Mar 2014, 09:01

Hi guys,

A quick and dirty solution, since I'm having the same problem, is this:

As soon as you finished modeling the head try to slightly separate the lips a little bit using the proportional modeling tool; in general your lips needs to be a little bit open when you create the FR rig.
Do the same thing for the lower teeth, so select the lower teeth mesh, go to move point, select all points and move everything a little bit downward.

After you did that create the rig check, un der the mouth tab > tune mouth if the points affected are correct ( see softimage FR guide for that ), do that for the mouth and the lips and remove/add the points to the cluster

After you tune the mouth simply move slightly upward the jaw controller ( the purple one on the chin ) so that the lips are closing properly, then, with the jaw controller selected, go to transform > set neutral pose, so every time you're resetting the controllers the "closed lips" position will be the one you setup previously by closing the mouth using the jaw controller
Actually this solution works quite nicely since it doesn't stretch the mesh at all and you just need some minor proportional modeling and move the jaw controller

Hope it helps :)