Change bone orientation

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
supaworst

Change bone orientation

Post by supaworst » 11 Jan 2013, 10:27

Hello, this is my first post in this amazing softimage forum. I'll go straight to the point:

I'm tryng to orient constrain a Fk rig to a bhv file picked from an animation library. It seems to work but some bones orientations of my rig don't match the bvh, so that the animation result all messed up (for example the arm animation is 90 degrees rotated compared to the original).

I'd like to know if there is a way to change the bones orientation of my rig to match the bvh skeleton i've imported without rebuild my rig or losing the envelope weghts.

Sorry for my bad english but i'm italian and i've tried to be as clear as possible in my problem explanation.

Thanks in advance

Take care

SpookyMunky

Re: Change bone orientation

Post by SpookyMunky » 12 Jan 2013, 05:41

Hmm, first make sure your rig is in a similar pose as the input file and then turn constraint compensation (CnsComp) on, try constraining everything again. If the bones are still off a bit you can turn CnsComp on again and try adjusting their rotation to match up better, see if that helps.

If it is still not working this next bit is not so much of a fix / explanation as to what is going wrong, more a hack that keeps me sane : sometimes xsi just doesn't like constraints even with CnsComp on, it is more noticable and very hard to compensate for when using pose constraint...

What I normally do in these odd situations is create a null and click transform - match translation, then select the bone that is causing me headaches so the null should move to it's origin. Now - without rotating the null or adjusting it in any way and with CnsComp on - pose constrain it to the bone, then orient constrain your corresponding bone to the null you created (make sure CnsComp is still on).

I hope that makes sense, and helps.. good luck :)

LSK

Post by LSK » 12 Jan 2013, 08:38

if the last pots solution didnt work well try to plot all the mocap animation to keyframes (4 or 5 key step) and fix the arm animation manually in another animation layer(i didn't try this its just my guess ;) )

supaworst

Post by supaworst » 23 Jan 2013, 16:53

Thanks a lot for the replies! At the moment i'm busy on another project but, when i'll finish it, i'm gonna try your suggetsions ;)

I'll write here back to let you know if these solutions works or not!