OpenVDB to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

OpenVDB ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This is a Softimage ICE integration of the OpenVDB suite, Dreamworks Animation's volumetrics toolset which has been built around a new data structure for efficient storage and manipulation of big volumes. See openvdb_dreamworks.pdf for slides of a OpenVDB feature presentation.

Oleg Bliznuk, author of Exocortex's Implosia FX and Explosia FX has created this ICE adapter. His fluid simulator »Explosia FX« (free as a noncommercial version) can be used to create VDB files. OpenVDB ICE covers the essential features of the OpenVDB suite:

Mental Ray/Arnold shaders included: VDBGridReaderScalar VDBGridReaderVec3 VDBGridReaderInt VDBVolumeShaderSimple VDBBlackbody

Compounds included: Voxelize Geometry Voxelize Particles Get VDB Grid Set VDB Grid File Grid IO Add Noise Fogvolume Filter LevelSet Boolean Operations LevelSet Morphology VolumeFog Boolean Operations Advection Get Value at Coordinate Set Value at Coordinate Grid To Mesh Mesh To Grid Get Grid Data Particles To Grid Grid IO Fill Box Grid Change Grid Class Noise Advect Level Set Morphological Filters Rebuild LevelSet Resample Grid Transform Platonic Create Grid CSG Deep Copy Grid Morpher Polygonize Grid Solidify Level Set Create Velocity Field Display Grid Info Platonic Sphere Resize Container to Active Volume Visualize Grid Slice Visualize Scalar Grid Visualize Scalar Grid Slice Visualize Vector Grid Visualize Vector Grid Slice

For feedback and questions, visit the si-community thread. There's also some info there on how to interoperate with emFluid. Here is a demo video by the author and another video from the thread, created by Rob Chapman using only OpenVDB ICE nodes and rendered using the included openVDB arnold shaders. Requirements: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

local backup: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar

sirdavid32

Re: OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by sirdavid32 » 10 Jun 2018, 07:00

I am on a laptop testing OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8 using windows 10. I read v 0.8 was for win 7. At the moment I'm testing this in SI2014 SP2.
Where can I get OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v1?
The error I am getting happens at ICE node levels. the FILE GRID IO is empty. Not showing any parameters for the path.
Also when I go to VDB > create >volume tools > Create base volume container I get an error:
' ERROR : 2000 - Argument 1 (OutputPort) is invalid
' ERROR : 2001-EDIT-ConnectICENodes - Argument 1 is invalid
ConnectICENodes "VDB_PCloudMesher.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Value", "VDB_PCloudMesher.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Voxelize_Particles.VDB_Grid"
' ERROR : Invalid procedure call or argument - [line 212 in C:\XSI_Workgroups\VDB_ice\Application\Plugins\VDB_Menu.js]

AddICECompoundNode "Set VDB Grid", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.port1", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Execute"
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_GetGridData
AddICECompoundNode "VDB Resize Container to Active Volume", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.port3", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Resize_Container_to_Active_Volume.Perform"
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_Platonic
AddICECompoundNode "VDB Platonic Sphere", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Value", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Platonic_Sphere.VDB_Grid"
' ERROR : Invalid procedure call or argument - [line 99 in C:\XSI_Workgroups\VDB_ice\Application\Plugins\VDB_Menu.js]
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_GridIO

How can I solve this?
Thanks for your help. This topic is up trending.

WilliamP

Post by WilliamP » 12 Jun 2018, 15:42

sirdavid32 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 07:00 I am on a laptop testing OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8 using windows 10. I read v 0.8 was for win 7. At the moment I'm testing this in SI2014 SP2.
Where can I get OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v1?
The error I am getting happens at ICE node levels. the FILE GRID IO is empty. Not showing any parameters for the path.
Also when I go to VDB > create >volume tools > Create base volume container I get an error:
ConnectICENodes "VDB_PCloudMesher.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Value", "VDB_PCloudMesher.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Voxelize_Particles.VDB_Grid"
' ERROR : Invalid procedure call or argument - [line 212 in C:\XSI_Workgroups\VDB_ice\Application\Plugins\VDB_Menu.js]

AddICECompoundNode "Set VDB Grid", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.port1", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Execute"
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_GetGridData
AddICECompoundNode "VDB Resize Container to Active Volume", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.port3", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Resize_Container_to_Active_Volume.Perform"
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_Platonic
AddICECompoundNode "VDB Platonic Sphere", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree"
ConnectICENodes "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.Set_VDB_Grid.Value", "VDB_BaseVolumeContainer.polymsh.VDB_ICETree.VDB_Platonic_Sphere.VDB_Grid"
' ERROR : Invalid procedure call or argument - [line 99 in C:\XSI_Workgroups\VDB_ice\Application\Plugins\VDB_Menu.js]
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : VDB_GridIO

How can I solve this?
Thanks for your help. This topic is up trending.
The link was up in the thread a bit earlier: https://bitbucket.org/OlegBliznuk/openv ... downloads/
Make sure you have the 2015 vs redistributable, as I think it's needed to run version 1.0

The rest of your errors I cannot help you with. I'm much more on the artistic side, and only touch the underlying technical bits when I really have to. :-)

WilliamP

Post by WilliamP » 12 Jun 2018, 19:26

Pedrito wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 19:03
WilliamP wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 00:21 I move it over to Read instead of Write so it isn't trying to overwrite what it's put down?
If you are rendering with redshift you dont need to, but just hide the holder to it is not being actualized ,
you can also change it to read but anyway you need to hide that object to not render that with redshift, redshift has its own holder wich reads sequences by namig something like "Root/mysequence.###.vdb"

also when writing the vdb should cache a sequence obviusly :S xD not to ovewrite the same file each frame, maybe that is what is going wrong with your setup?
Was back working on this today after a break, and that process seems to be working fine. I thought I'd tried that the last time and not had it cooperate, but it went fine this time, so I won't argue with it. I play it to the end so it caches and then it rendered just fine. I still think it's odd that it will show up just fine in the interface though, and in a preview for any given frame, but will not actually render it as a sequence without putting it all away first.

Thanks for your support on this!

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 17 Jun 2018, 15:06

I am still working with the I/O node issues on win 7 and 10 .

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 20 Jun 2018, 22:35

All right, I finally got it working on XSI 2014 SP2 on Win10 x64. The read IO node it´s working.
readIO.PNG
Question 1: I see the VDB represented correctly. Where do I add resolution?
Question 2: On the vimeo tutorial I see the attached volumes for the shaders come from "ai". What´s that? (Arnold related)
Question 3: Can I work the shading tree with an alternative shading render? SIcles come to mind... I have redshift, but how to do this with "native" softimage shaders?
Thanks.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 22 Jun 2018, 18:08

I downloaded: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar and it´s not working to read the I/O vdb file node on windows 7 x64. I see the node, connect it following the exact steps on the video and also the way I did it on windows 10 under the same SI2014, but it doesn´t represents the VDB grid:
INFO : [VDB][GRIDIO]: Empty grid on input // And there´s a file path and a name to be read.
Please help

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 23 Jun 2018, 16:08

I checked the plugin. Seems to miss the shading (representing) parts of the VDB:
vdb.PNG
vdb.PNG (5.84 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
But what else should I do to have this correctly working? I´m having the issue the vdb grid is not being represented correctly on windows 7 x64.
Please help.

scaron

Post by scaron » 30 Jul 2018, 22:42

That erroring shader def python file is unreleated to loading the vdb grid... so that isn't your issue (i don't know what it is though)

to answer you earlier questions, i don't believe you will be able to use this plugin to load vdb files into other renderers. i would only use this plugin if you want to author/maniuplate vdb files. you would then write them to disk and use the renderer's native support/loader for vdb files.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 31 Jul 2018, 05:39

So far I've able to port VDB simulations from Blender to softimage only on Windows 10. I guess something else is bugging this plugin on Windows 7. What Microsoft dependencies do I need to have installed? MS .net? what version?

scaron

Post by scaron » 31 Jul 2018, 07:32

I can't help really. I have my own custom openvdb ice plugins. I would like to release them one day... but very busy right now.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 31 Jul 2018, 09:09

We won't loose hope. ;)