rray.de/xsi volunteers

Announcements concerning cooperation, job offers or job requests
rray

rray.de/xsi volunteers

Post by rray » 20 Apr 2013, 15:09

Hi
I'm planing to make all rray.de local backups drag and droppable (like I did with the first few in the last update)

If you have a few free minutes some day, you could help me by editing this google doc. Warning : really tedious work (but wait for the meditative effect setting in after 4 hours ;) )
(edit instruction are inside the doc etc...)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Og ... sp=sharing
(part of 1 of 2, I’ll upload part 2 later when this is finished)
btw google docs has versioning so no worries about breaking anything!

Thanks!!
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

danyargici

Re: rray.de/xsi volunteers

Post by danyargici » 20 Apr 2013, 17:18

It's a great endeavour and I'll try to help when I have some time (not for two weeks though unfortunately) however, a word of warning. You can be sure that there is an a**hole out there right now who has taken all the urls from that google doc and is downloading the entire collection. %100 sure - because the internet is full of a**holes.

rray

Post by rray » 20 Apr 2013, 21:35

Thanks for the offer and the warning, Dan.
I'm having a traffic warning email set up, some leeching is covered but in an "emergency" when getting that mail I could take the thumbnails down for the rest of the month (Which cause 90% of the traffic).

jetstone

Post by jetstone » 29 Apr 2014, 04:36

I know that this post is over a year old, but if you need a volunteer I would love to help you and the site!
:)
-Jentzen Mooney

Draise

Post by Draise » 29 Apr 2014, 19:26

Great Incentive ;)

rray

Post by rray » 29 Apr 2014, 19:29

Hey Jentzen, thanks a lot for the offer to help. I'm a out of ideas, the only TODOs I can think of right now might be the most annoying jobs ever (the ones I kept avoiding to spend a lot of time on):
  • local backups: Since sometime last year I'm using links to xsiaddons/compounds instead of the old "local backup" zips. Those links show the "might be outdated, visit author site" info hovering and can be dragged from a netview directly to the ice tree/render tree/application. For most of the plugins this involved unzipping/bundling scripts into xsiaddons. This is about 50% done.
  • tag checking: plugin assigned the right tags? any new tags required? Probably like 2-5% have some kind of errors that might prevent s.o. from finding them.
(btw any other suggestions for improvements to the site are welcome)

There's an update coming quite soon, I'll post direct links to the new html files here then, along with some info on how they would be edited. I'd use WinMerge to spot any edits in files uploaded back.
(btw the google doc is way outdated by now)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 Apr 2014, 20:10

Would it be possible to open up your database to Google Search (or something similar) as your internal search is rather slow? ;)
I'd be willing to try and help implement this, if I can, BTW.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 29 Apr 2014, 22:56

What are rray.de's "local backups"?

Draise

Post by Draise » 29 Apr 2014, 23:58

I love the list, the better tags are for... plugin/addon/script categories? Like "render" "modeling" "ice" "hair" "rigging" categories to help facilitate things? (tags with quick link buttons to those tags?)

rray

Post by rray » 30 Apr 2014, 12:26

@HB: The whole site is just one html page with two text files being appended on demand (scrolling/searching). IIRC Google returns only one result per page. If you have an idea how to make show each plugin with the given keyword, I'd gladly implement that. Just note that my cheap-o website package doesn't support any server side execution.
Alternative would be to speed up the javascript search, if you/sb. else is interested in looking into that, those scripts are all inside the main index.html.

@grendizer: it's something like a cache, a backup that can be used when the actual site is down. I tried to find a compromise between practicablity of use and not keeping surfers away the author pages.

@Drais: Do you mean having all tags directly on the main page for simple filtering? this could be done, but I would like to run a check through all the tagging first.

jetstone

Post by jetstone » 30 Apr 2014, 20:46

I also really like the idea of all tags accessible from the top as filterable links.

Cool, Just let me know what I can do. No job to shitty.
I sent you my email in a private message on this site.
:-bd

Draise

Post by Draise » 30 Apr 2014, 21:13

Yes! Quick access to the tags right up top with subsequent tag filtered results is exactly what I was referring to. =)