Here you can post your Petitions

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
crossbone2007

Here you can post your Petitions

Post by crossbone2007 » 30 Aug 2009, 04:59

Are you planing to do some interesting 10-hours paid training in SI?

The reason I open this thread is because if there is one area where SI is being neglected is there is almost no tutorials out there for SI and what we have are out-dated. this thread is for all users who would like to use SI but are afraid to spend years learning while they could take months using other 3D software like maya or max or houdini.

Letterbox

Re: Here you can post your Petitions

Post by Letterbox » 30 Aug 2009, 15:55

crossbone2007 wrote:Are you planing to do some interesting 10-hours paid training in SI?

The reason I open this thread is because if there is one area where SI is being neglected is there is almost no tutorials out there for SI and what we have are out-dated. this thread is for all users who would like to use SI but are afraid to spend years learning while they could take months using other 3D software like maya or max or houdini.
I dont understand what your trying to get at, are you asking (the top line) if there are people currently doing tutorials? Or asre you asking for people to do them (and get paid) for you.

As for there being also no tutorials. I dont think thats right at all, see;

1) I3dtutorials.com
2) Digital tutors
3) www.Redi-Vivus.com (ours - 30-dvd's - free)

Cheers
Terry

crossbone2007

Post by crossbone2007 » 30 Aug 2009, 20:22

Terry, you're right there are Digital Tutors, Redi-vivus, and I3d Tuts. However, most of them do not cover the capability of XSI at full length compare to what I have seen for Maya. YOU talk about Digital tutors, they do have some good tuts for XSI to get people started and if you go through all the training materials hosted on Redi-vivus, I don't think you would need the help of DT IMHO, correct me if I'm wrong. My concerned is that Softimage does not receive the same treatment as Maya or Max in term of training. It seems to me that they treat SI as a tools on the side. My evidence, if you go to DT website you'll find far more trainings for Maya than for SI. I'm asking you guys to change the tides, that is, where DT, i3D and Redi-vivus lack to bridge the gap even if we would have to pay for it. that was my only concerned.

bless

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 31 Aug 2009, 10:02

Well, the availability of commercial training material has everything to do with the (perceived) market share of the software. Maya is bigger than Softimage, so it's way more interesting for commercial trainers to focus on Maya. Maybe Autodesk will, once it figures out, what to do with Softimage in the long run, will push training for Softimage some more. Books would be nice too, as there are some beautiful Maya-centric books on the market, and virtually none for Softimage... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 31 Aug 2009, 14:25

crossbone2007 wrote:Terry, you're right there are Digital Tutors, Redi-vivus, and I3d Tuts. However, most of them do not cover the capability of XSI at full length compare to what I have seen for Maya. YOU talk about Digital tutors, they do have some good tuts for XSI to get people started and if you go through all the training materials hosted on Redi-vivus, I don't think you would need the help of DT IMHO, correct me if I'm wrong. My concerned is that Softimage does not receive the same treatment as Maya or Max in term of training. It seems to me that they treat SI as a tools on the side. My evidence, if you go to DT website you'll find far more trainings for Maya than for SI. I'm asking you guys to change the tides, that is, where DT, i3D and Redi-vivus lack to bridge the gap even if we would have to pay for it. that was my only concerned.

bless

You raise some very good points and its in general a very good question, I'm glad you asked it because I think sometimes people don't get why we created Redi.-Vivus.com, and what part you play in Redi-Vivus.

Lets look at DT & I3D, first and foremost they are commercial, they will always do work for what sell's most, and that is their business. No problems there.
Redi-Vivus is actually NOT meant to compete with them, even though you (and i can understand why) think it does.

Redi-Vivus is there to give you core training, and i think it really achieves that well. It also allows the commercial people a certain freedom to create more advanced material more in-depth on specific topics. With Redi-Vivus providing the core. I think before it was a huge task for them to create ALL the material, and still make profits. Now that equation has changed.

Also Redi-Vivus creates a much more skilled user base, which is good, because there is NO way you can have a tutorial for everything, its just impossible. Often I see other forums asking for a tutorial on a rope swing, on a helicopter blades, a falling body. I often as a JOKE, but in someways to highlight this, wanted to one day post, can i have a tutorial on a script, a movie, and the music, and if you could attach the scenes that would be great. PS I retain copyright.

Because we believe that people get "tutorial happy", eg they want a tutorial for every part of everything. The goal shouldn't be that, it should be to get a core understanding, and you, yes YOU are the one with the ability to "solve problems",. In some ways that's what this job is, you have a picture in your head, you want it on the screen, the problem is how. And by having a core set of skills that gives you the ability to do that. With the extra's, and in details provided by the commercial companies. And the commercials take care of the in-depth. (and i3d have a great mental ray, and sub-d material, DT have others.)

And that makes you a better person, in terms of solving abilities, and that is what is valued in the workplace, the "ability" to make the dream come true. Unfortunately the Maya, Max, etc people don't get to learn that very important lesson, and are somewhat the beholder of a "tutorial existing" to solve the problems.

And in mixed pipelines which are everywhere, just look at District 9, that reality of you being able to solve problems is "THE" most important asset you can have.

Thats why Redi-Vivus was created, to give you the core skills, the core ability, the opportunity to break the cycle of I want to learn, i cant (at this point) afford the tutorials so i am damned to never be able to ever do this. That's why Steven, did it, to break the cycle, just like work, no exp. no job. etc.

Well now you can learn, and to be honest you can learn a damn lot at Redi-Vivus, but what ever way you slice it, "YOU" have to put in efforts too. And that's true for pretty much everything in life.

Dont get me wrong there are tutorials, that i also believe are missing, but they are NOT, about ropes swinging, they are major core fundamental skills, and as of yet no one has approached them. We hope that changes. We believe it will. And if it does not, do you think that's going to stop us/me? So i turn the tv off and bust my ass, like that's something new. Not that there is anything decent on anyway, and why am i watching other peoples problems, when i want to solve mine.

And in that vain, take a look at the Japanese softimage site, and the titles they have created, that was all learned by doing the above, and its possible for you to achieve all of that. But you have the added advantage of many tutorials (hopefully in a language you understand!).

So yes there are a ways to go, but we believe that with whats out there right now, that its only a case of you investing the time in YOU, and being able to possibly purchase one or more commercial depending on your project.

And that is light years ahead of what the situation was a year ago.

I will leave you with an important question, a while a go i posted a vid to show that it was possible to do fg with no flicker, it was meant as a motivational video, I got two types of response.

a) You bastard, you don't tell us exactly how...what use is that.
b) Thank you, we now know it can be done, we are downloading how, to see what other things we didn't understand/skipped and how we can make further gains from them.

Who do you honestly think are going to be the real winners here? a) or b)

Cheers
Terry

crossbone2007

Post by crossbone2007 » 31 Aug 2009, 16:47

Terry, to answer your question, honestly I think there are 2 type of people. People that are limited to what they see and what they think, they can't see further than the tip of their nose, who can't think for themselves and can't solve there own problem without the help of someone else. The other type are people who who are limited only by limitation in itself, they are not confine to what they see or what they think. They are the type who make history, and Their names are written on rock, they are Independent. That is being said, -b- is definitely the winner.

In this world either you're an actor or a spectator, few choose the former.

Bless