Joe Compound

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Joe's CompoundsAuthor: Joe Zarvosa
A big grab bag of ICE compounds. Maybe you find something that suits your needs. For details, see the si-community discussion thread. Joe's descriptions of the compounds follow:

Emit Particle Tree - Create a tree structure made from particles. See the si-community thread for a detailed description.
Melt Geometry - Melting effect for geometry.
Align Sprite - aligns the sprite to the camera, lets you set the initial orientation of the sprite, and the rate of spin. (NOTE - plug a set self.spriteangleinitialized data into execute on emit, set to FALSE)
Bounding Center -
Bend - I'm proud of having figured out the math I used to make this. play with it, to figure it out.
Bulge - same as the Animation bulge operator...but icier.
Olde Skool Noise - friend of mine wanted noise like it was implemented for particles in <7.0 This was my best guess of how it worked.
Cool Graph - f(x) try the range -5<x<5, -20<y<20

show more...

local backup: Compounds.zip

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Joe Compound

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Feb 2010, 14:36

For Compounds organizing is relatively painless:
If you open up the compound there's a bar at the top, where you'll find fields for "name", "category" & "tasks"
Category is used to organize exported compounds on the Tool tab of the preset manager. To change the category, double-click and type a different name. To create a new category, simply enter a new category name. The new category is automatically added to the preset manager and Nodes menu when the compound is exported. If a compound has no category, it does not appear on the Tool tab of the preset manager.
Tasks are used to further organize exported compounds by workflow on the Task tab of the preset manager. Double-click to enter or change a comma-separated list of tasks. Use a slash to separate tasks and subtasks, for example, “task/subtask,task1/subtask1”. To create a new task or subtask, simply enter new names. New tasks and subtasks are automatically added to the preset manager when the compound is exported. If a compound has no task, it does not appear on the Task tab of the preset manager.
Quoted from ICE > Building ICE Compounds > Editing Compounds

Hope this helps... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

schyzomaniac

Post by schyzomaniac » 13 May 2010, 14:17

Thanks a lot for posting your compounds. They'll surely help me to learn a couple of things.
I am looking at your ambient occlusion compound right now, and I wonder how did you come up with all those vectors you're using in the build arrays node?
Where did you get those numbers from?
And do we need to adjust those numbers when using the compound on different objects?

cheers,
Daniel

edit:
Oh shoot! Just a moment after clicking submit message, I think I got it. Those are random values to scatter your rays, right?
So basically just a bunch of handwritten random numbers.

Zarvosa

Post by Zarvosa » 13 May 2010, 21:53

yes!
...almost

They aren't random, they're a reasonably even distribution of vectors. if you mapped them all out it would look like an icosahedron. If I knew how to define an even 3d distribution of directions mathematically I would have, but I haven't the knowledge. note that a regular sphere is not even, there's more points at the poles. also a pure random distribution could theoretically result in all the vectors pointing in positive X

Zarvosa

Post by Zarvosa » 13 May 2010, 21:58

oh... I noticed later on that some of the compounds were broken and despite having used them previously they didn't appear to do what I intended them to...
But it's crunch time at work. Joy! I hope to fix what's there and add more funky things later...

I don't know what I was thinking when I uploaded the motionblur compound...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 May 2010, 08:46

Would it be possible for you to at least tell us, which compounds do not work as intended,
even if you're unable to actually fix them ATM? ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!